• Register
  • Help

Topic: Triple Monitors

Share/Bookmark

Question Triple Monitors

I know I am not the only one using triple monitors (for one virtual desktop). My question is that, if I were to get one of those wide aspect monitors (more letterbox in shape), would that work ok for a middle monitor without any overlap? Is Windows smart enough to figure it out in a setup?
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: Triple Monitors

Doyle,

How's it going? Going to NAMM this year?

I use an external monitor with my laptop which has a different resolution and aspect ratio than the laptop's LCD. Windows detects them both fine. I've seen some computers though with video cards that didn't work friendly between 2 different monitors. So I think this could be a video driver issue.

Jim

Question Re: Triple Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    How's it going? Going to NAMM this year?
    Indeed I might!

Yes, I believe Windows can tell the difference, it just with three monitors that make up one desktop (drag a window to any monitor), it seems ideal that the middle monitor be the wide one, and the two outside ones be the regular ratio monitors, as long as when you drag a window across there is not overlap or duplicated space.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

I'm jealous! I wish I had room for more than one monitor at home. Time to start thinking about another desk.

I think it should work fine. The only issue you may have is when you drag the mouse cursor from the one monitor to another, it may jump to another location. This happens on my work setup and it bugs me at times.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    I know I am not the only one using triple monitors (for one virtual desktop). My question is that, if I were to get one of those wide aspect monitors (more letterbox in shape), would that work ok for a middle monitor without any overlap? Is Windows smart enough to figure it out in a setup?
    I am using two ATI Radeon X300 cards, they are fanless and cheap (30 EUR each), and each has two outputs which makes four but I use only three on this computer. These cards come with a control center where you can activate, rotate and drag'n drop each monitor individually. Two of my monitors are wide, one normal, no problem.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hi Doyle, Windows should be able to handle that setup without any problems.

Be sure to have the correct drivers for each monitors and for your video adapter. In most cases, windows will install them automatically, but you may have to manually do it for most recent models.

Nicolas
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a dual-screen setup with a 20" and a 24" tft,
    having 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 pixels respectively...

I can barely make those two monitors fit between my two
    nearfields - I see no way that I could get three (20") in
    between there...

Tobias

Thanks for the replies all!
    I know Windows can handle three old style monitors, which I use in my tri-monitor setup (which are not LCD's). I am just sick of the big bevel gutters between monitors, so it is time (finally) to go LCD. I thought while I am at it I could use one of those new extra-wide letterbox monitors for the middle monitor as long as it gave me more actual desktop and it didn't just stretch the normal screen wider, if you know what I mean.
    It helps to have an actual project desk, so I have plenty of room for video monitors (the audio monitors are on stands). I will have to look into the ATI Radeon cards.
    Once I finish my many new upgrades, I will post a new picture on my site.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Go Back to forum