• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hebrew samples

Hebrew samples

Looking for sample library with Hebrew or mid-eastern samples. Working on Christmas music and need as original to the region as possible,

Re: Hebrew samples

Are you looking for Hebrew language vocal samples or instruments? There aren\'t really that many instruments specifically \"Hebrew,\" aside from the shofar (ram\'s horn). Any library containing Middle Eastern samples such as ney flute, kanoun, santur, darbukas and dumbeks should capture the mood you\'re looking for (which I\'m assuming is something along the lines of \"Judea in the time of Jesus\' birth\"). A couple good older Akais are Mediterranean Instruments and Mediterranean Atmospheres. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the reply, yes I am looking for instruments. I will follow up on your suggestions.

Thanks again

I have several shofarim if you need samples of them. You can hear one of them in my song \"Tekiah\" at www.mp3.com/starbirth.

-- Martin

Tunesmith, I\'ve done my fair share of Chrismas music myself. A couple years ago I bought the Ethno World Collection from Sounds Online (I think) and it has served me well. Particularly percussion wise. It also has some cool wind instruments. Some of the tuning is non-western though and hard to work with (IMO). Also the collection Deepest India seems to really have some cool stuff on it. I\'ve been thinking I might get that next time I get some Christmas projects!

I\'ve found the best success for wind instruments is to use traditional winds, particularly double reeds, and focus more on Middle Eastern implied modes. If you\'re writing for a western audience this seems to connect better then potentially genuine eastern instruments.

Also realize, if you\'re writing for other characters in the story (ie wise men and kings from other lands!) you can easily jump the hebrew ship and pull in other instruments [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

they sound great, how do I go about getting them??

I would be very interested in finding a Shofar sound as well...it just so happens I need one in my current project (that I just found out about today).

I will try and put some shofar samples together tomorrow and post them for download. Anything in particular that you are looking for? The traditional calls on the shofar are only two different pitches in several different patterns.

You can hear one of the patterns called Tekiah (which means blast) in my song of that name mentioned above. The other calls are Teruah (a trumpet sound with multiple stacatto tones) and Shevarim (a wailing sound). The final one is Tekiah Gedolah which is a VERY long Tekiah (the great tekiah). I have several shofars. One is a large (about 3 feet long) twisted kudo horn, and the others are traditional rams horns.

The shofar is traditionally blown on Rosh Hashana (Jewish new year) and Yom Kippur (day of atonement). I don\'t think it they would have any meaning at all in a Christmas song, but feel free to use them as you wish.

-- Martin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

I\'m still pondering the oxymoron of Hebrew Christmas music. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Well, for my project, I just need a Shofar call on a D#.

Go Back to forum