• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO With ACID Music Studio

Share/Bookmark

GPO With ACID Music Studio

Hello everyone.

Now I'm sorry if this post just doesn't make sense, I am very new to the whole idea of composing using my computer and I'm not sure if I fully understand everything correctly at the moment.

I currently use my Yamaha Keyboard to compose films scores for amature films that I create. I am looking for the best way to put these compositions onto the computer and for them to sound as good as they can. I am thinking of buying "Sony Acid Music Studio," a program that would allow me to record from my keyboard into my computer. From a demo I downloaded of the program I found out that when I play my composition through the program it plays it using the computer's general MIDI and to be honest, it sounds aweful.

I game across GPO when I was searching for a way to make my scores sound better. So my question is, if I buy the Personal Orchestra will I be able to use it with "Sony Acid Music Studio" to make my compositions sounds better? From searching around inside the program I came across VST plugins, or something like that. Would I be able to open the Personal Orchestra as a kind of plug-in and play my score through the Personal Orchestra sounds?

Once again, I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense. Does anybody know if I will be able to do this, though?

Thanks in advance.

Re: GPO With ACID Music Studio

Hi, rstidops

No worries - Your post makes sense to probably everyone here. The only thing a bit daunting about trying to reply, is that you are at square one and it's difficult deciding what to tell you first.

In your message you actually sound like you're on the right track. The Sony program playing your computer's built in sound card's General MIDI sounds is exactly what will happen with any audio software program by default. You asked if GPO would be used as a plugin inside Sony so it could be the sound source instead of your sound card MIDI and the answer is Yes - precisely. That's what VSTs are all about - those are plugins which can be musical instruments or effects like reverb. Those are what you use to make music on a computer. You simply tell a program to use your soft synths instead of the sounds on your card.

The Sony Acid Studio (I just now took a Google-look at it) isn't exactly what most of us here would jump for joy to see you starting with. It promises people who have never played an instrument or written music to be able to have instant gratification, push-button Presto recordings - and they mean it. You Can do that with a program like this Acid Studio because it's loop based. You could string together various loops that come with it even totally randomly and come up with something resembling music.

But a more open ended program which isn't loop based, like Cubase or Sonar - that would be a more satisfying kind of program for you to work with. All of these MIDI/audio recording programs are rather much the same, they just come with different flavors of built in effects, collections of instruments etc - But the basics of recording from your keyboard into a program where you can edit the MIDI and then record a good sounding audio track - that can be done in any number of programs.

So I'm encouraging you to ignore loop based composition - but maybe I'm just being a snob about that - lol--You said you want to compose film scores for your video projects - I think you'd have more satisfaction composing those "from scratch."

Look into Sonar Home Studio. And DEFINITELY buy GPO - you'll be able to use that in any recording software you end up buying.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I use Acid Pro, the big brother of Music Studio. You don't have to use the looping features in acid. You can thru compose in acid just like all the other daw programs.

Cool, DKeenum

Thanks for the info. That makes sense, that at least the basic tools are there for straight-ahead recording. The site makes such emphasis on the program as a loop-based thing, for hip-hop and other pop composition, that I wasn't sure what the complete picture really was. Sounds OK!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

When acid first appeared, it was it's looping ability that made it famous. But now everybody can do it. So acid had to mature in other areas too. Don't get me wrong, it still has it's nich. But it is gradually joining the daw world.

Thankyou very much everyone, especially rbowser-. I've looked into Sonar Home Studio and it looks awesome, exactly what I needed! I've been looking around their website and it does look like it has everything I wanted, plus I can open the Personal Ochestra into that as well, can't I?

Thanks once again for clearing everything up for me, plus I think I might just get Home Studio now!

EDIT: Hmmm, I found Sonar Home Studio 6 XL that comes with the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, is this the same as the personal one?

Quote Originally Posted by rstidops
    Thankyou very much everyone, especially rbowser-. I've looked into Sonar Home Studio and it looks awesome, exactly what I needed! I've been looking around their website and it does look like it has everything I wanted, plus I can open the Personal Ochestra into that as well, can't I?

Thanks once again for clearing everything up for me, plus I think I might just get Home Studio now!

EDIT: Hmmm, I found Sonar Home Studio 6 XL that comes with the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, is this the same as the personal one?
    Hello rstidops and welcome to the forums.

I also use Sonar (Producer) and you certainly can open GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra) within Sonar. It is a very simple step of copying a GPO .dll into the Sonar VST folder and you are ready to go.

The Garritan Pocket Orchestra that now comes with Sonar are patches from the full GPO and is not the full GPO. With full GPO and Sonar Home Studio you will have fine tools for your music making.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Okay, thanks a lot. I'm pretty much certain I'll be getting Sonar Home Studio and GPO, then. Thanks a lot. Maybe when I have a completed score/film I'll post it here for you all to see!

Thanks, once again.

Hello again, rstidops

Michael_uk steered you to a clear course there. I use Sonar Home Studio 6XL and it certainly does everything I need. "Acidized" loops have been available in Sonar software for quite awhile now, as DKeenum indicated, so when you want to do drum loops or any kind of looping work, that's available too.

Something good about Sonar/Cakewalk is that Garritan has a partnership with them. I've seen Gary talking about the company in glowing terms, and as Michael explained, there's even a light version of GPO included in Sonar software.

That Pocket Orchestra can be all you need in some circumstances. It plays through Dimension, the flexible sample player which even in the Home Studio XL version comes with a lot of very useful presets, including this stripped down version of GPO.

It's interesting for me as a GPO user for two years now, to have some Garritan sounds which are programmed like traditional synths, responding to cc11 and cc7 for volume instead of cc1. That Pocket Orchestra is a handy, quick and dirty way to get some good Garritan orchestral sounds into a project.

The point is if you can't get all the software you want right now, if you get HS6XL, you'd also be getting at least a good start with Garritan at the same time - then you could get the full GPO when you can.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Exactly. So does the Pocket Ochestra just not have as many intrusments as the full version, does it not sound as good, are there features that you don't get that you do with the full one?
    Last edited by rstidops; 11-26-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Go Back to forum