• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organ Metamorphoses Nr I

Share/Bookmark

Organ Metamorphoses Nr I

This is, in contrast to much of my work, very tonal. However, I compensate by mode changes at approximately 16 bar intervals.

The music consists of a short theme, about 16 bars, followed by 7 equally short transformations, each using a different mode/scale. More registration changes would be a good idea, but I was a bit hindered by the GPO Organ which is good, but limited. Gary, if you read this, that was a big hint!!

Recorded with GPO pipe organ, Sonar, and Fatar. Total time, about 4 1/2 minutes.

Added 28 Nov:

Piece has been withdrawn and dumped in the trash. Rewrite with new title is now available.

Richard

Re: Organ Metamorphoses Nr I

I disagree with your contention that the GPO organ is "limited". By carefully blending practically any other instrument in the universe with your organ lead line, the possibilities of varied sounds are virtually limitless. You can even overlay a tuba or 'bone or bassoon or whatever with your left-hand notes. Of course, if you do any of the above you won't have a "pure" organ sound.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

From the get go, I am not a great fan of music for organ. However, harmonically, I really liked the initial material of this piece. It's definately tonal, but at the same time I have some issues with the piece, structurally.

There's a sameness to the texture that got a bit, well, boring. (sorry )
    The first real respite was rather near the end when it broke into a more or less 2-voice imitative texture.

I didn't really feel the modal changes as the piece advanced, at least, not all of them. This COULD be the fault of the texture, which was a bit unrelenting, and may have helped camouflage the changes.

To my ear, the organ is a very "dangerous" instrument. The mass of sound can become tiring and overwhelming. This is where textural changes become a necessity.

That being said, I REALLY loved the sudden shift at the very end! I sort of wish that it had been a more important part of the entire piece.

Well, Michel, there is a need for some thinner textures, but less reverb would also be beneficial. Some of the modal changes are not sufficient to be significantly different. It was a case of the idea being good, but the execution not so good.

I have a strong preference for heavy organ textures, and am inclined to over do in this regard. Some changes will be made.

There is a bit of monotony that I had expected to be overcome by modal and texture changes, but after another dozen or so auditions, it appears that such is not the case. So, I am making some drastic revisions and cuts, which should not take long. I have the time since it is too cold to work outside, and a lacerated thumb makes piano playing painful. One of my kittens has not yet learned to play with claws retracted.

Larry, if the GPO organ was not limited, why would I need to augment it? If I wanted orchestral instruments, I would orchestrate the piece. Actually, it has often occurred to me that writing for organ is very nearly the same thing as writing for orchestra.

Richard

Gosh, I seem to have missed this one, Richard -- and
    you know how I enjoy your organ work, particularly.

The link above is giving me...

"No shared files/folders found."

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Gosh, I seem to have missed this one, Richard -- and
    you know how I enjoy your organ work, particularly.

The link above is giving me...

"No shared files/folders found."

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Sorry about that, David. I withdrew the piece and after rewriting, posted it again with a new title, "Phoenix Prelude", which is discussed under the thread "Transmogrified Metamorhoses".

Richard

Go Back to forum