• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2008 and GPO full version

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2008 and GPO full version

Hello, I just installed the Finale 2008, GPO full (not finale lite version) and, making my first steps from paper to computer. I also created a full orchestra template score and linked each instrument to GPO as perfectly explained in GPO tutorials. The instruments are quite good but they are not playing correctly 16th & 32nd notes which sound as tied notes (lack of articulation) This is quite embarrasing especially with brass (My tempo is 120). Is there any further calibration in Finale to obtain more realistic and, rapid reaction of the instruments. Thanks for your kindly help.

Re: Finale 2008 and GPO full version

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Fast notes and/or high tempo often tends to be to "narrow" when played from Finale. This goes for strings also especially when playing lots of notes after each other on the same pitch.
    I have in my templates a lot of articulations to fix this. I use
    Playback Effect>Change Duration for this. (The same you use for staccatos). This will add a small "rest" between the notes. Depending on instrument and tempo the setting can be anywhere between 50-95%. Try to get the best effect and use metatools for quick assignment. You can assign an articulation that doesn´t print or as I do, choosing a slot that are empty.

Björn

Quote Originally Posted by ash747
    Hello, I just installed the Finale 2008, GPO full (not finale lite version) and, making my first steps from paper to computer. I also created a full orchestra template score and linked each instrument to GPO as perfectly explained in GPO tutorials. The instruments are quite good but they are not playing correctly 16th & 32nd notes which sound as tied notes (lack of articulation) This is quite embarrasing especially with brass (My tempo is 120). Is there any further calibration in Finale to obtain more realistic and, rapid reaction of the instruments. Thanks for your kindly help.
    Hello ash747 and welcome to the forums.

I also use Finale 2008 with full GPO and I have never found the problems you mention.

Just a quick check. After entering your 16th and 32nd notes did you then apply any articulations using the articulation tool to create the effect you want?

When notes are entered in Finale without any articulation applied Finale will play the notes smoothly by default. To illustrate this, here's a simple test.

Set up a piano score with just the two staves then enter a scale of C using quarter notes set to quarter note = 120. On playback you will hear the notes played as if you had slurred the notes ie very smoothly. You can try this with different value notes and tempos and the result will be the same.

I think you will find that when you use the articulation tool you can achieve just the effect you want.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thank you so much,
    I am than discovering how to use playback Effects that I discovered thanks to you :-).
    I'll try it
    Alexandre from France

Quote Originally Posted by ash747
    Thank you so much,
    I am than discovering how to use playback Effects that I discovered thanks to you :-).
    I'll try it
    Alexandre from France
    Hello again Alexandre

You're very welcome.

I forgot to mention Human Playback. If you click on the speaker icon (Playback Settings) in the top menu then go to 'Playback Style' (default setting is 'Standard') and expand the menu you will find many different styles ranging from Baroque to Romantic to bands and Jazz. Selecting one of these will interpret your music including certain articulations accordingly to that style. Human Playback is one of the outstanding features of Finale and this is thanks to a fellow countryman of yours; Robert Piechard who wrote Human Playback.

If you have any other questions regarding GPO with Finale don't hesitate to post.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum