• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Here is the 3rd movement of my piano sonata in c# minor. This is a pretty straight forward scherzo. Sort of.

    I’d like to prattle on quite a bit more on it, but instead I’ll present the whole thing as it now stands.

    Sonata in c# minor 1st movement
    Sonata in c# minor 2nd movement
    Sonata in c# minor 3rd movement

    4th movement still in the works.

    Let me know what you think.
    Trent P. McDonald

  2. #2

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Trent - Your sonatas are in a rarefied atmosphere all of their own, --and I mean that's a Good thing.

    I don't like to play favorites with people's works - I know a posting awhile back from you was my Favorite, - well now I feel This is my favorite. So, maybe I'm fickle, or I tend to like what's happening Now? hehe--Either way--I really enjoyed this, my friend.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  3. #3

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Trent

    I think this one is also my favorite so far. You got some neat riffs going on in the left hand. The right aint so shabby either. I always look forward to the scherzo in any piece, and this one is no let down.

    Well done

    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Trent - Your sonatas are in a rarefied atmosphere all of their own, --and I mean that's a Good thing.

    I don't like to play favorites with people's works - I know a posting awhile back from you was my Favorite, - well now I feel This is my favorite. So, maybe I'm fickle, or I tend to like what's happening Now? hehe--Either way--I really enjoyed this, my friend.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy. I like to think that each new piece is your favorite because I’m getting better and better. Of course, some would say I have nowhere to go but up…

    As far as “rarified atmosphere all of their own”… actually, when I wrote my two previous sonatas (a year ago and 2 years ago) I had a model in mind – not an exact model, but at least a style I was trying to achieve. This one is, well, I guess just me. All three movements, though very different sounding, share a lot of material.

    Anyway, thanks for listening and for your kind comments.
    (note - if you caught this earlier, I accidentily posted the wrong thing - sorry for the confusion)
    Trent P. McDonald

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Trent

    I think this one is also my favorite so far. You got some neat riffs going on in the left hand. The right aint so shabby either. I always look forward to the scherzo in any piece, and this one is no let down.

    Well done

    Ron
    Hi Ron. Most of the time the left hand just echoes the right, but it does sound dark and sinister at the low range, doesn’t it? Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.
    Trent P. McDonald

  6. #6
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    I like the uneasiness of this movement. It's like it is close to being conventional, and yet keeps having odd turns and twists that keep the ear engaged. There is a surface that seems to proceed normally, but there is an undercurrent of unrest that is very compelling. I mean that as a compliment!

    Cool piece!
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  7. #7
    Senior Member Leaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,797

    Smile Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Trent,
    The first of this set, the 1st mvt, is one my favorite piano pieces.

    The 2nd is one that i enjoy, but have to be in the right mood for it's style.

    This one, the 3rd, at first seemed like a combination of 1st and 2nd, but a little past half way it was sealed, now it's also one of my favorites, not as high on the list as the 1st, but it's up there!

    You and the piano seem to get along very well, i hope you two never part.

    David

  8. #8

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Another splendid movement. Your Scherzo is, like the other movements, brilliantly written. The character is witty and humorous and full of surprises. And once more simply delicious harmonies...... I think when this is done, it is going to be an extraordinary piece of music. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    I like the uneasiness of this movement. It's like it is close to being conventional, and yet keeps having odd turns and twists that keep the ear engaged. There is a surface that seems to proceed normally, but there is an undercurrent of unrest that is very compelling. I mean that as a compliment!

    Cool piece!
    Hi Ron. Thank you, and I did read it as a compliment, that is what I was aiming for – almost, but not quite conventional. A few twists a turns... shifts in accents between begining and end...

    Thanks for listening and for your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Sonata in c# minor, 3rd movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Trent,
    The first of this set, the 1st mvt, is one my favorite piano pieces.

    The 2nd is one that i enjoy, but have to be in the right mood for it's style.

    This one, the 3rd, at first seemed like a combination of 1st and 2nd, but a little past half way it was sealed, now it's also one of my favorites, not as high on the list as the 1st, but it's up there!

    You and the piano seem to get along very well, i hope you two never part.

    David
    Hi David. Two of your favorite piano pieces? Wow, thanks for the great compliment.

    Actually, you got it – this is, in some ways a combination of the first two movements, but it also brings in some things I was experimenting with in my preludes (particularly the b minor and the latest, eb minor).

    Thanks again for listening and your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •