• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Confidence Level Sinking

California Redwoods

Confidence Level Sinking

Well, this afternoon, I had another concert program performed in my little home in the Redwoods. Very nice, very enjoyable. Makes me happy that I have a nice piano. The program will be performed publicly soon, but I forgot to ask where!

Afterwards, I was asked to write a short work for left hand piano, one that would not take forever to learn. Naturally, I agreed without hesitation. Now that I have had a couple of hours to think about it, my confidence just flitted out the door. Hopefully, a short nap and a good cup of French Roast coffee will restore my confidence. Left hand solo works are not easy to write, at least for me. I have written at least two, but they are difficult, and take plenty of practice to learn. This is a guaranteed performance, and I hope confidence is restored soon. With me, this is a recurring problem, sort of a bi-weekly midlife crisis!

Re: Confidence Level Sinking

Congratulations ! I just love house concerts.

I think you should have all the confidence you need to take on this job. Good luck !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Sending you CONFIDENCE vibes! (We all go through it).... Lately my bugaboo is "oh no! they want to LOOK at a score! they're gonna see something i missed, something TOTALLY IDIOTIC, that brands me [forever of course] as a rank amateur. Mommy!

Best of luck, confidence, inspiration and courage on your piece (and congrats, too)!

Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

Oh Richard. . . I know how you feel. I've felt that same way (for different reasons and different types of projects). It can be tough to get that 'ol positive vibe thing going again. I wish I knew why we get the case of the "Confidence Blues" sometimes.

One thing I can say with certainty after listening to a few of your compositions throughout the past few years. . . You Got the Chops!

So. . . Take that nap. . . Drink that French Roast Coffee. . . Read a few words of affirmation from some "I'm O. K., You're O. K." self-help book. . . Put one foot in front of the other. . . take that walk. . . grab that pencil. . . and start writing some music. . . .

From. . . a fan of your music. . . .

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Nothing scarier than a blank piece of staff paper...You have written so much over the years, there is no reason to think your muse has been retired. Put a few notes down, and you'll be back at it. The French roast will help. Cinnamon rolls are good, too; but not too much, unless you want a really fast piece...

Good luck - and post your end results.
    Ron Pearl

Hang in there Richard, the best composers I know all report the same feelings when starting a new comminsioned work.

I was recently asked for a piece for violin and viola, and have already been through a serious bout of "this piece stinks" followed by "I can't compose."

It helps me to go sit for a while and listen to something I know will inspire me. I find I get a great many ideas from just listening to other music.

And Karen if it makes you feel better I once mispelled "espressivo" on a score in such a way as to resemble a coffee drink favored in Rome. My players (who were all professionals from the local orchestra) and I had a good laugh, but I was not branded an idiot. At least they played my music again after that, so I couldn't have been branded THAT big an idiot.

Congratulations first of all!

It's lovely to be getting your music performed isn't it?

Now, on to the serious stuff: LEft hand. LEFT HAND! Porkofiev's concert No. 4 is for the left hand, Ravel wrote for the left hand as well. When will anybody think of the right hand, huh? Poor right hand. Poor...

Yes... Confidence: It's something that comes and goes with me as well. Deadlines work really fine with me though "Make a piece 59 pages in less than a month, a symphonic monster, or you quit your PhD"... That worked pretty well! Same with everything else I have in deadlines. I'm sure you'll do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S Phillips
    And Karen if it makes you feel better I once mispelled "espressivo" on a score in such a way as to resemble a coffee drink favored in Rome. My players (who were all professionals from the local orchestra) and I had a good laugh, but I was not branded an idiot. At least they played my music again after that, so I couldn't have been branded THAT big an idiot.

LOL! Thanks Matt, I feel better! So they played it "espresso"? Like, meaning really fast and wired??? Yeeee HAH! (Thanks for sharing that). I guess is a common feeling for almost everyone.
    Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

What a great post - You, Richard, a composer we all admire, coming right out and verbalizing that lack of confidence Thing which happens to everyone, including the most able.

I think it's one of the interesting facts of life that when we start a new project, of whatever sort it is, it really is like doing that kind of project for the first time. If we don't have that seemingly fresh perspective each time, then we're not really opening ourselves up to the possibilities of a new project - we can clog up the creative juices with a lot of preconceptions that guarantee the project Won't be fresh and new.

I mean that we're all in the class room Forever. I think we Should have that somewhat insecure feeling every time we start something - Otherwise we're treating ourselves like machinery which can just keep spitting out what we have already done, what we're already comfortable with. That's treating ourselves like Hacks - and I don't know any true artist who wants to feel or behave like a hack.

Though it can trigger some deep insecurities in ourselves, I think it's a productive and healthy thing to be humble when facing a blank piece of paper, a blank screen, a blank WHatever it is we're working with - and realize that we can't instantly produce wonderfulness.

We just need to gently remind ourselves of how we have managed to produce in the past, and there's no reason to think we're suddenly going to lose the ability to produce.

Deep breaths, good coffee, getting up to stretch and do something completely different - taking a nap, having a Martini - and going back to the Blankness until we find ourselves starting to fill in that Blank.

And so on.

Congrats - Whatever you come up with will be fresh and interesting, because you have the right amount of humility-that's what your post demonstrates.

Funny how it can work that way.

Randy B.

Dallas, TX

Question Re: Confidence Level Sinking

Well i hate to be ignorant about these things so i have to ask.
    When someone wants a piece written for left hand, what exactly is it they are asking for? Is it just the bass and chords, or just chords, for the righthand melody to be applied by some other instrument? Or is it a melody in the lower half of the piano? Or is it both, therefore no need for righthand?

PS, congrats to you Richard and hope the right things to surface in your writing for this request.

Go Back to forum