• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help: Alt Up/Down Bowing KH Strings

Share/Bookmark

Help: Alt Up/Down Bowing KH Strings

Yes first post BUT i have been lurkig here for a long time. great resource and v. useful.

just wanting to know about alternative up and down bowing. clearly up sounds different to down bowing on the same note.

i am using the concert strings that came with the KH diamond bundle. KH has Round Robin so two notes are never the same. However Round Robin does not sound like up and down bowing to me. Perhaps i am wrong? Am i?

does anyone know what Round Robin does exactly to differentiate between two identical notes play successively?

I really need that up an down technique for a minimalist thing i am working on.

many years ago a friend showed me Garritan Orchestral Strings i remember they had maestro tool that allowed you to load patches with alternating up and down bowing samples that would bow identical successive notes up and down.

My understanding is that you would require the separate up and down samples to recreate that technique in my track?

Perhaps there is another obvious way to recreate up down bowing that others use in their tracks they would share with others?

thanks you to anyone with suggestions.

spek

ps really like the qualities of the KH concert strings samples.

Re: Help: Alt Up/Down Bowing KH Strings

perhaps something incoherent in the question?

spek

Your question makes perfect sense - Im not sure of the answer. I dont think the round robin uses alternating up/down bows. The tremolos probably do - maybe alternating velocities can also help create the effect.

I don't think this is specifically possible sample-wise in KH though ( please correct me if wrong).

> Yes first post BUT i have been lurkig here for a long time. great resource and v. useful.

Hi Spec, welcome to a great place.

> just wanting to know about alternative up and down bowing. clearly up sounds different to down bowing on the same note.

Yes.

> i am using the concert strings that came with the KH diamond bundle. KH has Round Robin so two notes are never the same. However Round Robin does not sound like up and down bowing to me.

True.

> does anyone know what Round Robin does exactly to differentiate between two identical notes play successively?

It rotates between a certain amount of almost identical samples.

> I really need that up an down technique for a minimalist thing i am working on.

Three ways:
    - Use a patch with dedicated up- and downbow samples that are automatically changing
    - Use two patches alternating, one patch with upbows and one with downbows
    - Use a standard or round robin patch but play the notes differently (different velocity, different volume curve) for up- and downbows.

I prefer the third method because it gives the most musical results for me, but it also needs the most amount of work. With KH strings this is your method.

If you can, use a sequencer that allows you to record in slow tempo, this helps to differentiate the nuances.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Actually, the round robin DOES access trup up/down bowings. Perhaps you should try selecting the "With_Spiccato" button at the lower right of the instrument's interface. The default is more aggressively played, so it might not sound quite as "delicate" as you're wanting.

thanks guy. these are all excellent suggestions.

feedback much appreciated.

all the best

Spek

Go Back to forum