• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quiet Days - Trpt Solo

Share/Bookmark

Quiet Days - Trpt Solo

Here is another in my series for Trumpet Solo and Piano. It is called:

Quiet Days dry with no reverb
    QUIET DAYS with vibrato and reverb

It is a quiet medium difficult trumpet solo. This is the 8th in the series.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Quiet Days - Trpt Solo

I enjoyed your trumpet solo. When I first started listening I thought the piano sounded way too dry, but after the trumpet came in things sounded fine. I like the little “cadenza” after the second section before returning to the “A” section.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Bill

Time for my Esnips Tip again - Everyone, if the player at the site doesn't work for you, look below the player for the Widget preview. It'll take you to another window with the piece loaded and ready to play.

So Bill - I do believe it's been quite awhile since you've posted one of your pieces for your Trumpet and Piano series - too long I'd say.

Really nice Trumpet line. Glides right along and takes us on a very interesting trip. I admire how much variety and richness you've packed into the piece.

I enjoy the 8th note Ostinato line on the Piano also. I have to pipe in with Trent in saying it's dry, and for me remained too dry throughout. It sounds like there's no ambience on it at all. A small room glow on it would warm the whole recording up a lot, I think.

I also feel more subtle variety in the velocity of the Piano part would mellow it out. These sound like rather constant high velocity values. Dialing those back with enough variety to make it more natural but without disturbing the constant rollingness you want for the Piano part, I think it would be worth the experiment. As it is, I feel the Piano performance is fighting the "Quiet Days" feeling of the piece.

I'm going to play it again with my volume turned down a lot, it will help simulate the mellowing I feel you could achieve with some more editing, Bill.

Thanks for the music!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Bill -

I believe that this is the first time I've heard any of your trumpet compositions. I really enjoyed the composition. I would love to hear this live with real piano and trumpet players. Coming from a keyboard/piano background, I love how you "accompanied" the trumpet with the piano. I found the piano writing to be very pleasant. It touched me in a very satisfying way.

My only comment has to do with the mix of the recording. It seems that the piano is too "far back" in the mix (or the trumpet too far forward). Maybe some experimenting with the balance between the two might help bring them closer together in volume??

It is a lovely composition that is well written. I look forward to hearing more of your works! Thank you for sharing.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

TED - Thanks for the comments. If you'd like to hear more of these solos visit:

http://www.esnips.com/web/wrayersOtherStuff/

There you will find a listing by genre of all my stuff.

RANDY - Thank you for the kind comments. Writing fro trumpet is easier for me because I also play it. I have looked at your ideas and incorporated them in a new mix. See if there is a difference. I am a bit deaf (too many years directing marching bands and jazz bands at the high school level!) So I don't always hear the subtle nuances that yours and others ears hear. I appreciate the suggestions.

TRENTPMCD - Thanks for the comments. In this next mix I have tried to 'wetten'; if that's the correct term; the piano using various techniques in SONAR.

Thanks to all, your suggestions along with those from my brother appear in this re-mix of:

QUIET DAYS

Challenge #10 Winner

Nice work on this, Bill; not overly demanding, and a tranquil,
    well formed, melodic pastorale quality to it.

With others, perhaps bring the piano forward a little, and
    a bit more "room" around it?

Say, how's it going with that series? I seem to recall you
    were working toward publication with it?

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Say, how's it going with that series? I seem to recall you
    were working toward publication with it?

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David. I will work on moving the piano a bit forward, but you know they are heavy and awkward to move. I should have put wheels on it!

Well, I am published a Lulu.com, if that counts. I am looking for a hard copy publisher. I understand there is a small publisher in Pennsylvania that caters to this kind of publication. I am looking into that. I am done with the big publishers (Belwin, Hal Leonard, Barnhouse, etc.) that have too many rules and restrictions.

Thanks for listening and the comments.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill:
    Nice trumpet solo, it would no doubt make it onto a solo/ensemble contest list (probably in your state as well as others) and be a refreshing change from the standard bunch of publications by the big publishers. As for the rendering, it is not the worst trumpet sample that I've ever heard, but close.
    Good luck,
    John

Hello again, Bill

That's great that you went in to do some more editing. The new recording is much more satisfying. I hear that you've done more with reverb and the Piano has a more natural variety in its velocities. Good work!

re: John "taylorchandler's" comment on the Trumpet sound. --It isn't easy to use GPO solo instruments so exposed and--Solo as this. They work best in ensemble, blending with other instruments.

But when one wants to feature an instrument like this, the best that can be done is as you have here, using vibrato control, some reverb, volume control, legato. I think it sounds quite acceptable, even though our ears are aware that it's a sample. Oh well!

We Are after all using keyboard equivalents for other acoustic instruments, and I don't think a critique about our choice of sound sources is especially helpful or even appropriate as feedback.

Good work, Bill.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

rbowser - Thanks, I worked hard on the second mix trying to get a more natural sound. Garritan's samples are difficult for solo trumpet. If I were teaching a student that sounded like that I would work on his tonguing and his release. I have not discovered a way to control those facets in Sonar using Garritan samples.

taylorchandler - Thanks for the comments. I would love to get this published and into the hands of other trumpet playes. Oh well, I will work on that.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast