• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Slide on violin

Question Slide on violin

Hi there everyone!

I'm fairly new to GPO and I've been putting this piece of music together and I've run into problems as I'm trying to figure out how to program violin slides. I want a simple slide that goes from Bb down to the next F#, but I haven't been able to come up with a way to do this. I know its supposed to be a combination of CC#20 and CC#64 but everything I've tried sounds awfull (ie. no slide but just two notes playing together or the slide occurs but the Bb still plays on top of the F#).

Help me with this, please!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Lauri Hakanen/Finland

Re: Slide on violin

... no answer, but I had the same question in mind.

Chandler, Arizona

If your hearing 2 notes at the same time, then the sustain pedal mode is not set correctly. I can't remember off the top of my head what the mode is although it used to be the 2nd one down in the list in Kontakt 1.53. I haven't checked it's location in Kontakt 2.2.3 player.

I tried all the possible sustain combinations + fiddling with the settings but nothing seems to work.

Can someone help me, please.

I got the sustain not to sound the notes together but now I get a slight slide up at the beginning of each note. The line, though, is descending so the slides should be down, right? Any thoughts?

Now I got it working for an ascending slide, the slide is smooth, but the descending one sounds very ditached and jumpy at best. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

I spent two hours to get it right. Pity, no success. The second note still has some attack while this wasn't the purpose. Please, you guys with all your inventive minds, please help us.

It sounds like you two are using a notation program, otherwise I'd just say "Use the pitch bend wheel".

Here is Help info about using pitch bend in Sibelius. Perhaps it will help you?

Pitch bend
    Pitch bend normally allows you to alter the pitch of a note by up to a whole step (tone) up or
    down, although there are a couple of ways to increase this range – see below.
    The syntax of pitch bend is ~B0,bend-by, e.g. ~B0,96.

4. Playback & video
    Bend-by is a number between 0 and 127, where each integer represents 1/32nd of a half-step
    (semitone). ~B0,64 produces a note at its written pitch; values lower than 64 flatten the note, and
    values higher than 64 sharpen it. To make a note sound one half-step (semitone) higher than
    written, use ~B0,96; to make it sound one half-step (semitone) lower, use ~B0,32.
    You could, for example, use this control change to make a note play back sharp or flat without
    adding an accidental, e.g. if you want to make ficta – editorial accidentals above the staff – play
    back, you can insert the accidental from the Create > Symbol dialog, and then use a MIDI message
    of e.g. ~B0,96 to play the note a semitone sharp. Don’t forget to use ~B0,64 to return the
    channel to its normal tuning on the next note! This is, in fact, what the Add Ficta Above Note
    plug-in does for you – b 5.11 Plug-ins.
    You can also use the pitch bend control change to create a portamento or glissando effect by creating
    a number of MIDI messages one after another. The pitch bend does not last for just one note –
    it remains indefinitely, so you usually put a pitch bend in the opposite direction on the next note
    to revert to normal pitch.
    If you want finer control over the pitch bend, you can change the initial byte, also in the range 0–
    127, to give very small deviations in temperament (1/128 x 32 half-steps) e.g. ~B127,64 will
    sharpen the written note by a small amount.
    To create a pitch bend effect over an interval wider than a whole step (tone), you can either use the
    portamento control change (see Control changes below) to make a pitch bend, or use the following
    * First, set up the range over which the pitch bend can operate: insert the MIDI messages
    ~C101,0 C100,0 C6,half-steps in your score, where half-steps is the total range of the pitch
    bend in half-steps (semitones), from 0-12. For example, to set up pitch bend with a maximum
    range of an octave, use ~C6,12. (It’s best to put these messages at the start of your score.)
    * When you want to add a pitch bend to your score, insert a ~B0,bend-by command as usual,
    except that now you must divide the bend-by parameter into the number of half-steps (semitones)
    set up with your ~C6 command, e.g. if you entered ~C6,12, each half-step (semitone)
    adds or subtracts 5.3 (64 divided by 12) to bend-by. So to bend upwards by four half-steps
    (semitones), you would enter ~B0,85.
    This method requires that your MIDI device supports standard “Registered Parameter Messages”
    (RPMs), which is common but not universal. If you intend to use other RPMs in the same score,
    you should remember to “close” the parameters, by adding ~C101,127 ~C100,127 after the
    ~C6,half-steps message.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    It sounds like you two are using a notation program, otherwise I'd just say "Use the pitch bend wheel".
    Nope. I'm using cubase studio 4.

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    No, I didn't try this with a notation program. I just input those two notes into Sonar and struggled with the pitchbend. I couldn't find how much the pitch really bent, those Sonar values are a bit obscure. Experimenting with different values gave me some sliding by I couldn't get that second (the final note value) note right. It had some attack which wasn't the purpose. It has to go smoothly from the upper note to the lower without attacks (or of course the other way around).

Have you had a look at the portamento tutorial in this forum?

If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Chandler, Arizona

You'll need to play with the value for the slide as it will very a little depending on the distance of the 2 notes you are sliding between.

I think there is a bug in Kontakt 2.2.3 regarding the slides. I've been getting inconsistent results with it working one time and then not working. This is with other libraries besides GPO so it's not a problem just with GPO.

Go Back to forum