• Register
  • Help

Topic: USB 2.0? eSATA? eSATAII?

USB 2.0? eSATA? eSATAII?

Hi everyone:

I just picked up a LaCie d2 quadra 500GB drive http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10894 for sample-streaming.

I bought this drive so that I could use it with my current setup via a USB 2.0 connection or buy an eSATA interface card to plug into an unused PCI-Express slot.

So... I just got off the phone with LaCie tech support and I now see that this drive is only "eSATA" (i.e., "up to 1.5Gbits/s"), and not "eSATA II" . . .

Assuming that the drive is used solely for streaming samples (and, perhaps, holding a Norton Ghost drive image of the partition containing my musicmaking apps), in terms of real-world performance:
    • is it worth the additional expense to upgrade this drive to an eSATA II drive, or will other bottlenecks (processor, motherboard, bus, etc.) negate any speed advantages;
    • will the just-purchased eSATA drive perform better than my other LaCie drive, which is identical except that it only has USB 2.0 and FW400/800 connectors? If so, how much better?
    Great big huge thanks for any insight!!
    — alanb

Re: USB 2.0? eSATA? eSATAII?

eSATA is overkill for a single drive. I'm using eSATA on a four drive RAID, and it can play back uncompressed 1080i video in real time.

The disc will run out of seek time well before the interface runs out of bandwidth.

Thanks for the feedback, Jon. Good to know that I can still count on you for a quick, helpful, and to-the-point response...

Ultimately, I decided to stick with the LaCie d2 Quadra (35% formatted as I type this).

I've been very happy with my other 2 LaCie drives, and I like the multiple connection options here.

It seems that SATA II would be serious overkill on my computer... the motherboard/bus would be enough a bottleneck to offset any speed advantage. I probably won't even milk top speed out of a SATA I drive like the d2 Quadra.

Still, it should outperform USB 2.0 and FireWire, even its current one-drive configuration...???

Plus, I'm planning ahead, and I know that I will eventually transfer this drive to "my next machine." I bought a two-port LaCie SATA II (3Gb/s) PCI-Express Card, which will serve my purposes here and will also, eventually, migrate to my next machine.

It's a PCI-e x1 card but, thankfully, it seems to work properly in my only available slot, a PCI-e x4...

Fun and games...
    — alanb

Speaking of which..what would you guys recommend for a drive for streaming samples of a laptop MAcBook Pro ? i am looking for something small and portable.

any suggestions??

thanks !

Wasn't LaCie originally Mac-only?

I know that my new drive came pre-formatted for Mac, and I had to re-format it to Windows-compatible NTFS...
    — alanb

Go Back to forum