• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strings That Sound Like...

Share/Bookmark

Strings That Sound Like...

Hello,

I currently have GPO and really like it's ease of use, but I've been contemplating getting another library such as East West Symphonic Orchestra Gold Bundle. I don't really write much classical music, but more pop and electronica that have strings. I tried out a EWSO Platinum demo (only came with the solo violin I think) and side by side, GPO definitely sounded more "classical", but I don't know if EWSO sounded right either (although I don't know how to program it properly).

I really like the strings at the opening of "Lay Lady Lay" by Magnet (www.myspace.com/magnet) in case anybody can suggest a library that may give me that type of sound?

Thanks for the help!
    Chinmay

Re: Strings That Sound Like...

I'm thinking Sonic Implants now called Sonivox(why the hell did they change the name it's confusing!) is what would come closer to that sound(intimate like), and size. Long sustain is one of the highlight of SI IMO.. And playtability..(to bad i cant play lol.... The mp3 is kind of cheap but... Good tune.

They are not cheap but there's Si mini if you're on a budget.

Also, they have this knew product which is taken from their orchestral lib that is really cheap, like 50$ or something. That why you could try them and see if you like them.

Good luck!

Thanks geronimo001. Sonivox does sound nice, but is pretty expensive and only strings. I wanted to "upgrade" from GPO for about $400-500 for mostly pop/electronica/contemporary pieces and was trying to decide between EWSO Gold bundle and VSL Special Edition (damn dongle). I'd like something that's not too difficult to program either.

The song is a Bob Dylan cover.

Thanks,
    Chinmay

Well the Gold XP bundle sure is a good deal right now. I don't see how you could go wrong with that. But the VI SE should be easier to program, their player is a step up for that. And it has a lot to offer too in regard to strings. They have solo, chamber, ens and appassionata strings(even bigger ens).

The dongle sucks just like every CP scheme. But you'll appreciates it when comes the time to re-install or if you travel etc..

I think you'll get closer to what i hear in the demo if you go with VSl SE because they have smaller sections and you'll get a more intimate sound. Gold was recorded in a very big hall and have bigger sections would probably not work as well in that context. I would also think VSL would fit better in a pop etc settings. I just cant imagine Gold for that, maybe I'm wrong?..

I know the song BTW, i once tried to sing it and let's just say it wasn't for me.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Chinmay,

A good solo strings library - like the XSample SoloStrings, for instance - will get you pretty close to that 'small section'-sound: use the GPO strings for 'body' and superimpose the solostrings for texture, crispness and detail. Seriously, it'll work very well.
    Alternatively (or additionaly), have a look at a good chamber strings library. A very, very good one is the Horizon Chamber Strings (Kontakt/EXS/Giga/Halion) which you can now buy for a seriously reduced price from several vendors (Ilio, BestService, ...)

_

The Miroslav Philharmonik is a pretty good price, and if you go for their insane group buy right now I believe that will entitle you to a crossgrade to Miroslav for around $285. So for around $500 you could have a SERIOUS pile of sounds.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=asc&highlight=
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Quote Originally Posted by ChinmayL

I really like the strings at the opening of "Lay Lady Lay" by Magnet (www.myspace.com/magnet)
    You mean by Bob Dylan?

Check out the monster list of covers of "Lay Lady Lay" since 1969:

http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/basepo...=lll&sort=Year

Vienna SE does have some very nice intimate string sounds although I do find that I have to adjust the release part of the envelope on most of their samples because they cut-off a little too early.

HALion Symphony Orchestra has the HALion String Ed. 2 built-in and I find that those strings are pretty darn impressive. I like the response and the fact that they can be adjusted by the mod wheel for dynamics and timbre. Most of the libraries just seem to increase the volume and not the actual tonality of the sample.

EWQLSO for me is a workhorse for bigger orchestral settings. I love Platinum brass, percussion, and some of the shorter string attacks. I primarily stick with Vienna SE for legato winds though.

lots of libraries can give you that sound. The way you arrange is more important than the library. I usually combine two different libraries. Im reallyl just getting started at this though

Quote Originally Posted by ChinmayL
    Thanks geronimo001. Sonivox does sound nice, but is pretty expensive and only strings. I wanted to "upgrade" from GPO for about $400-500 for mostly pop/electronica/contemporary pieces and was trying to decide between EWSO Gold bundle and VSL Special Edition (damn dongle). I'd like something that's not too difficult to program either.

The song is a Bob Dylan cover.

Thanks,
    Chinmay
    I recommend Kirk Hunter's libraries.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum