• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fingerstyle Guitar

Fingerstyle Guitar

Can anyone point me towards some resources for sequencing decent fingerstyle/classical guitar? Thanks.

Re: Fingerstyle Guitar

Not sure about sequencing, however, anything that A. Segovia did would be a good place to start. Also reference Chet Atkins. Good luck,

New York, NY

actually for computer resources, I would recommend looking at Band in a box by PGMusic and Rhythm 'n Chords by Musiclab... These will generate very realistic guitar parts without a lot of work... Generating a guitar part is not like playing a piano part... There are a lot of aspects which are stylistic, and unless you play the guitar, it's hard to recreate that just playing it manually... The above programs generate midi tracks of accompaniments that sound very stylistically like what a guitarist would play... Using these programs, you can spend more time writing music and less time trying to mimic an instrument, which is not the same thing...

I know that BiaB can produce decent strumming, but what I want to do is program a solo guitar performance in fingerstyle. I'm looking for tips about programming, how to do things like hammers and pulls effectively, etc.

I've just listened to Tony Bresnahan's excellent submission for the 2007 Christmas CD. If that's a sampled guitar in that track, maybe he can chime in?

Even though I'm fairly certain the sounds are "picked," I still have to second whoever recommended MusicLab's RealGuitar. It's responsible for some of the best fingerstyle-type guitar parts I've ever heard.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum