• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Does my computer not have enough power?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question Does my computer not have enough power?

    I am trying to play a piano trio with Strad, Gofriller and GPO steinway (notation) with Finale 2008. Finale drives KP2 directly.

    When the music comes to some rythmic section (constant 8th note staccato repetition at 120 bpm, etc.), some of the parts causes rhythmic "hick-up" (uneven rhythm).

    My machine is equipped with Pentium 4, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Win XP home edition.

    The spec is insufficient for the configuration? Should I upgrade my pc environment? Or any trick I can try to avoid such irregularity in rhythm?

    Any suggestion/opinion/advices will be appreciated.

    Thank you.

    P.S. I once again tried the same piano trio file. This time it played normally. I wonder what was wrong. Anyway, should you have any advices, please.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  2. #2

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    P.S. I once again tried the same piano trio file. This time it played normally. I wonder what was wrong. Anyway, should you have any advices, please.
    A guess: a background proces was running, chewing up CPU cycles or HDD bandwidth. Next time it happens, check the Task Manager and the CPU & HDD meters in KP2 (upper right corner) to see, what's causing the trouble.

  3. #3

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    A guess: a background proces was running, chewing up CPU cycles or HDD bandwidth. Next time it happens, check the Task Manager and the CPU & HDD meters in KP2 (upper right corner) to see, what's causing the trouble.
    Virus scanners are notorious for this sort of thing!

  4. #4

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    My guess is that a 2.2 ghz P4 is NOT quite fast enough for Finale and GPO.

    I changed from a P4 2.8 to a dual core 3.2 and all my hickup problems went away (unless I drink too fast).

  5. #5

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Thank you very much, Nickie, for your advice (as always).

    The phenomenon did not repeat since the last time. The cpu meter and disk access meter are staying very low level. I will check them if a next hick-up occurs.

    Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  6. #6

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Virus scanners are notorious for this sort of thing!
    Very likely. I did not notice but the scanner might have been running.

    Thank you for your input.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  7. #7

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    My guess is that a 2.2 ghz P4 is NOT quite fast enough for Finale and GPO.

    I changed from a P4 2.8 to a dual core 3.2 and all my hickup problems went away (unless I drink too fast).
    Thank you, qccowboy, for your suggestion.

    I am planning to upgrade my machine as the current one is already 5 year old.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  8. #8

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Another thought.... could it not be Human Playback that is causing the uneveness in the rhythms? I know it takes a lot of liberties with tempo in certain settings. It is especially noticable with repeated notes.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  9. #9

    Re: Does my computer not have enough power?

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Another thought.... could it not be Human Playback that is causing the uneveness in the rhythms? I know it takes a lot of liberties with tempo in certain settings. It is especially noticable with repeated notes.
    Louis, thank you for your comment.

    I too doubted HP but it seems not affecting because the hick-up occured even without HP.

    So far the phenomenon has not repeated so that I think the cause might be some background process I did not notice.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •