• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Mozart Woodwind Quartet

Mozart Woodwind Quartet

Hi all

I have been lacking inspiration to write my own music lately, and so I have decided to do another project that I have been wanting to do for quite some time. I have always wanted to do an arrangement of a Mozart piano sonata for a woodwind quartet. This project required less inspiration and more hard work, so after a few weeks it is finally in a shape that is worthy of sharing with you.

I chose to arrange a set of variations that form part of Mozart’s D major piano sonata KV284. This sonata is one of two that contains a set of variations as a movement, the other being the famous A major sonata. Just like the A major sonata, this one is both extremely delicate and very passionate at the same time. Mozart had the ability to take the simplest theme and create elaborate and mind-blowingly clever variations, every single one a little masterpiece…

I used urtext of the score to make my arrangement. I clicked the notes into Overture4 and painted all the controllers in by hand right into the score. And then recorded the music playing from the score in Overture4 using the GPO woodwind soloists.

Variations VII and XI were particularly challenging because of the ornaments. In arranging the piano music for woodwinds, I had to take some liberties with the score. I put a copy of the variations from a public domain score if you wanted to follow along. This score is not very good, but it is usable. My score is not ready for display.

I hope you will enjoy this beautiful piece.

Mp3 is here (ca. 10Mb)

Score is here
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: Mozart Woodwind Quartet

If in any moment your score becomes ready to display, sync the Video with score would be great for educational purposes. I like your Mozar rendering very much.
    Marcelo Colina

You did an excellent job, Louis! Somewhere, Wolfie is smiling with satisfaction.

That is a lot of work and I appreciate your efforts.

It is so very sad that this creative genius died at the age of thirty-five. If he had lived longer, he could possibly have written hundreds of more great works. How these (unwritten) masterpieces would have enriched our lives!

Larry G. Alexander

This is really a nice rendition of the piece. I just sat back and closed my eyes and enjoyed it. Superb job.

As Larry G mentioned, it's sad that Mozart died so young. Had he lived longer he might even have invented Disco! ;-)
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Yokohama, Japan

....as if Mozart had written a woodwind quartet...... Bravo!
    Tatsu Nagao
    YAMAHA P-120, Kontakt2, GPO, Garritan Strad and Gofriller, etc.

Wilton, NH

An excellent arrangement. Of course you had great source material… A very enjoyable listen.
    Trent P. McDonald

Louis, this superb adaptation shows considerable
    skill -- and seasoned, well considered musical reasoning
    and discretion. Impressively well done!

Likewise, the interpretation and conducting -- and the
    rendering is a delight to the ear, my friend.

Wherever Mozart may be, I am certain he his smiling
    at you with deepest pleasure and approval...

All my best,

Hello, Louis

Without fail, when you share a piece with us here in the Listening Room, a rich, inspiring musical experience is in store.

What a wonderful project to create for yourself - arranging the masterful Mozart’s D major piano sonata for Woods.

The results are simply gorgeous. To my delighted ears, you rose to the challenge 100%, not only crafted an arrangement equally as masterful as the original, but you also realized it with a flawless recording.

Fantastic work. I'm so glad you have it here for us to enjoy.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD

I have been lacking inspiration to write my own music lately,
    Well, we all have those periods. Turning to Mozart is a pretty good idea, if a little intimidating...You've done a wonderful job of making this arrangement. As well, the rendering is quite skillful: the instruments sound natural, just the right touch of reverb.

It is very stylistic, and would make an excellent additional to the quartet repertoire. Have you thought of publishing this?

Lovely job.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

Absolutely refreshing. It must have been a joy to
    analyze what instrument would take which lines in
    this sonata. Also, a great way to disect an amazing
    piece of music to see what holds it together.

You did a wonderful job on this, Louis. It just begs
    to be played again.......so I will.

BRAVO, Louis

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast