• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem trying to get Stradivardi Violin to work...

Share/Bookmark

Problem trying to get Stradivardi Violin to work...

I'm a bit of a n00b to Kontact 'cos I never use it so I'm having problems importing GSV; it seems to only import single .wav files rather than a multi/batch, so it's only sampling and transposing one .wav to different pitches resulting in bad quality samples, and not to mention annoyingly difficult to compose this way... here's what my player looks like:

Could anyone tell me the correct way to do this? I'm using Kontact 2, which I installed sepperately and I have Garritan Violin waves and .NKS on an external HD, thanks.

Re: Problem trying to get Stradivardi Violin to work...

Look at the virtual keyboard; each blue key is a note, that has several .wav files mapped to it. I can assure you, this instrument makes use of a lot more than just one .wav file. And there is no transposing to different pitches - it is chromatically sampled. Maybe it is time to take a look at the manual

I don't know what you mean by .NKS; v1.06 doesn't make use of a .NKS file. It has a folder with all the .wav files.

No, importing chromatically sampled .wavs is what it should be doing.
    Here's what I tried:

1. Open Kontakt in Fruity Loops (I plan on learning to use Sonar 7 soon).

2. Down on the left side there is a browser... I locate the folder which GPV .wavs are stored, there is one folder called 'Stradivari Violin v1.06 Samples' with the .wavs in it, then alongside that folder is a Kontakt 2 file, 'The Stradivari Violin.NKI'.

3. I load this .NKI file to Kontakt, it says '945 files could not be found', I locate the files manually by browsing for the folder, files loaded successfully.

4. Like in the image I posted before, 'Stradivari Violin v1.06' is present in Kontakt but there is no library or multi that can be loaded... 'Nothing yet'... And... I'm doing this as I type, I can't even hear anything when the keys are pressed :s before It only loaded a spicato violin.

That's basically it, what am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by icedicarus
    2. Down on the left side there is a browser... I locate the folder which GPV .wavs are stored, there is one folder called 'Stradivari Violin v1.06 Samples' with the .wavs in it, then alongside that folder is a Kontakt 2 file, 'The Stradivari Violin.NKI'.
    There should be 2 .nki files: The Stradivari Violin v1.06 and The Stradivari Violin v1.07. The v1.07 file is/was a download direct from Garritan.com.

Quote Originally Posted by icedicarus
    4. Like in the image I posted before, 'Stradivari Violin v1.06' is present in Kontakt but there is no library or multi that can be loaded... 'Nothing yet'... And... I'm doing this as I type, I can't even hear anything when the keys are pressed :s before It only loaded a spicato violin.
    The only files you can load are the above mentioned .nki files. To you they are the library. The Stradivari is not like other libraries, that come with scores of patches. With the Stradivari you only need one patch, which performs all the supported articulations by means of KeySwitches and controllers. Please read the manual to learn how it works. Otherwise you won't get much fun out of it.

First of all understand, that CC#11 (Expression) controls volume/timbre. It defaults to 0, so you have to raise it to get beyond the basic spiccato attack.

Second, if you accidentally hit one of the keys (specifically MIDI 48-50) between the lowest playable note (the blue keys) and the highest KeySwitch (KeySwitches are located in the first full octave below the blue keys: MIDI 36-47), the instrument for some odd reason gets muted. Apply one of the KeySwitches to unmute it.

Go Back to forum