• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Rose Castle (Cornell Boxes) - KOWALSKI

Rose Castle (Cornell Boxes) - KOWALSKI

Here's the latest completed movement of The Cornell Boxes, commemorating the art of Joseph Cornell. This will be the final movement of the six. Only the introduction remains to be completed now. As usual, I will post the score after all movements are complete.

Rose Castle (mp3) (Image)

Here are the previously posted movements:

Soap Bubble Set, 1941 (mp3) (Image)
    Hotel Eden (mp3) (Image)
    Tilly Losch (Balloon Girl) (mp3) (Image)
    Sand Fountain (mp3) (Image)

Thanks for listening!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Rose Castle (Cornell Boxes) - KOWALSKI

Hey Jamie,

A great Saturday post ...

This is the most consonant or perhaps tonal work I have listened to from you recently. I hope you take that neither a complement or reticule; just an observation.

You have captured a "floating" quality at first then change gears to a more busy and active "splash" of orchestral power; a very romantic gesture.

Engaging and thought provoking moments arrive when you suddenly soften; moving to a huge brass finale that finished perfectly.

The strings and winds really shine in this work. Overall, a great rendering and capture of the art.

Thoroughly enjoyed!

PS I noticed bit of Hovhaness at times ...
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Hi Jamie. Good to hear more music from you, as your "brief symphony" is still frequently in rotation on my computer.

But before I listen I need to ask, with this post being #6 and the rest being #2-#5, what order should they go in? I don't see any hint in the filenames.

There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Jamie, I've tremendously liked every one of these... but THIS one is spectacular! Just awesome! I was expecting something I'd enjoy -- as usual from you -- but this one just blew me away.

That slight, gossamer, Ravelian opening was really beautiful in its simplicity, but I was wondering where you were going to go with it, especially as I listened while admiring the accompanying artwork. You did a wonderful job building this into occassionally ominous moments and unexpected twists with thoroughly effective (and very thoughtful) harmonies and orchestral textures... giving the listener a "tour" through the nooks and crannies of the castle. Outstanding work with your mixing and final rendering as well.

I'll be giving this one a few more listens... thanks for this gem!

A dynamic powerhouse of a finale, Jamie!

(I see Danny stole my word up there --

As you know, I've followed this with interest;
    the entire suite is, to my mind, some of the finest
    writing I've heard from you... highly original,
    the Kowalski voice in every moment of it, and
    completely engaging -- without exception.

Looking forward to hearing the introduction to
    round out the suite; and later, to seeing the
    score, my friend.

Always my best,

Fabulous! This one is definitely my favorite piece of the set. I love its energy. Bravo!
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Penfield (Rochester), NY

This is a fascinating work, lovely, moving and ever changing. It really kept me guessing as to what would come along next. And each new motiff was never dissapointing. Thanks for bring this wonderful series to the forum.

Dallas, TX

Smile Re: Rose Castle (Cornell Boxes) - KOWALSKI

This is truely a fantastic finale for this excellent set! I particularly liked the Brass, but all the rest too. You certainly made a statement on this one!!

Interesting that the intro will be made last, i look forward to hearing it with the full set when it arrives.

I enjoyed your "Rose Castle". The writing is very sophisticated, full of confidence, well balanced and professionally finished. It is overwhelming. Bravissimo!
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

OH boy!--another Cornell Box piece. We were all hooked on this fascinating series some time ago, Jamie - and now the crowning jewel, this final movement.

Full of complex contrasts, tensions and releases, dramas galore inside the mysterious world of Rose Castle - feet running on the winding passages I picture inside the structure. Beauty and danger co-existing in an enthralling impressionist experience.

Fantastic work.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast