• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Earlier this year I presented a GPO rendering of the Corelli "Fuga Con Un Seggetto Solo" as a string quartet. At the request of the Washington Saxophone Quartet (www.wsaxq.com) I transcribed it for them. Here is it rendered using the CMB saxophones;

    www.garybricault.com/mp3/CorelliFugaConUnSoggettoSaxQuartet.mp3

    This transcription was performed in November as part of a benefit concert in Washington, D.C. It was recorded there by a member of the audiance using a hand held DAR unit. With their permission, I am posting the piece here as a comparison to the CMB. The recording has a little background noise and the level was a little high due to the inexperience of the user. But I wanted to share it with the forum, to show how good the sound of a classical saxophone ensemble can be.

    www.garybricault.com/specialmusic/CorelliFugaWSAXQ.mp3

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member Leaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,797

    Thumbs up Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Gary, They sound great! Yet not at all like i thought a sax quartet would sound. I would love to see them perform.

    Your rendering with CMB also sounds great.

    I noticed on your site you have several works arranged for sax quartet, with the blurb at the bottom of the page "Much of this music was compiled for and reviewed by the Washington Saxophone Quartet." Are any of the other mp3s of them playing?
    Thanks for posting, i'm going to listen to that again!
    David

  3. #3

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Gary! This is fantastic that you've posted an MP3 of The Washington Saxophone Quartet performing one of your great arrangements!

    The recording is more than fine for letting us hear what the concert was like. Your CMB rendition was/is eye-opening, ear-opening I should say, and now to hear these excellent musicians actually performing it - wonderful!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Gary, They sound great! Yet not at all like i thought a sax quartet would sound. I would love to see them perform.

    Your rendering with CMB also sounds great.

    I noticed on your site you have several works arranged for sax quartet, with the blurb at the bottom of the page "Much of this music was compiled for and reviewed by the Washington Saxophone Quartet." Are any of the other mp3s of them playing?
    Thanks for posting, i'm going to listen to that again!
    David
    David,

    Thanks for your kind comments. I only have the mp3 of the GPO/JABB/CMB renderings for saxophone demonstrations purposes. At this time I do not have any WSAXQ recordings on my site. They are a fun group and really great to write for. I am glad that you enjoyed the music.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Gary! This is fantastic that you've posted an MP3 of The Washington Saxophone Quartet performing one of your great arrangements!

    The recording is more than fine for letting us hear what the concert was like. Your CMB rendition was/is eye-opening, ear-opening I should say, and now to hear these excellent musicians actually performing it - wonderful!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

    I am glad that you enjoyed both version of the Corelli. To me the WSAXQ sounds a lot like a string quartet at times. The CMB sax is a different style of playing of course, better suited for this music than the JABB jazzier instuments. But still not the same as the classical saxophone sound.

    I will post another one using CMB and the performance from the concert in the near future.

    If you ever listen to NPR broadcasts you will hear them daily as the little "sound buttons" of music that are occasioanlly inserted.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  6. #6

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Gary, we're all so accustomed to hearing the sax family
    of instruments predominantly in Jazz and popular contexts,
    that I think we forget they serve marvelously in more
    classical venues, too.

    Thank you especially for the live recording of this. What
    a wonderful sound from the ensemble! I would love to have
    heard this live.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  7. #7

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Gary

    You should be very proud that your music is getting performed by such an accomplished group. I have heard them on NPR and will make a point to see them next time they come to Annapolis.

    This is a fine piece of music and I have begun to look for your posts with anticipation.

    Well Done

    Ron

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Gary, we're all so accustomed to hearing the sax family
    of instruments predominantly in Jazz and popular contexts,
    that I think we forget they serve marvelously in more
    classical venues, too.

    Thank you especially for the live recording of this. What
    a wonderful sound from the ensemble! I would love to have
    heard this live.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    David,

    Glad you enjoyed the live performance so much. You are entirely correct to say that the saxophone is a very ignored instrument with respect to classical music. We even tend to ignore master works in which significant saxophone parts exist. But yes it was a great thrill to hear my arrangements performed by such a fine ensemble as WSAXQ.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Corelli - Fuga for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Gary

    You should be very proud that your music is getting performed by such an accomplished group. I have heard them on NPR and will make a point to see them next time they come to Annapolis.
    I am Ron and at the same time rather humbled to hear such an accomplished group perform an wide range of music that day; Bach, Corelli, Vaughan Williams, Copland to name a few.

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    This is a fine piece of music and I have begun to look for your posts with anticipation.

    Well Done

    Ron
    I am sure they will be in your area some time in the near future. Do go hear them.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •