• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Basic, very basic question(s) regarding GPO and SONAR.

Share/Bookmark

Basic, very basic question(s) regarding GPO and SONAR.

Hi,

I've owned GPO now for a couple of years and am finally ready to put it to a fraction of it's potential.

For the last few years I've been recording about 98% audio on a semi-commercial basis. I've used MIDI only sparingly due to lack of knowledge and I usually use live players.

However, I now have a project where a lady is tracking piano and vocals for worship/praise music she has written.

On some of the songs we are envisioning some light orchestral instrumentation. I have only the most rudementary understanding of how to get music out of Garritan and into my box!

Now my big question. And this will be mostly directed at those running SONAR. I am successful at getting one part (Steinway mostly) into a project and am quite pleased with the results. But let's say I want an oboe, a violin and a bowed contrabass in a project. When I insert GPO in SONAR, it always asks if I want to create synth outputs for all of GPOs outputs. And I answer yes. And then lets say I put in an oboe part. I see the MIDI date in the MIDI track. But then if I put another part (violin) in, I change the voice in Kontact and the MIDI data is recorded on the same MIDI track but now the oboe part plays back as a violin.

Is there a source available that could lead me step-by-step on how to create multiple instrument parts and keep the data separate for editing purpose?

I know this is long-winded but I am a dummy!

Thanks more than you know!

Re: Basic, very basic question(s) regarding GPO and SONAR.

Well, the basic answer as far as I can tell from your description is this:

First, a question to you, Have you set different midi channels for each of your instruments e.g. Oboe on channel 1 and Violin on Channel 2?

On the left side of the "Sonar" screen in track view there should be a list of the tracks you have set up i.e. track 1 - oboe, track 2 - violin. In addition to the tracks you need to set the channels for each instrument. There should be at the uppr right of the track list for each track a minimize/restore box and a maximize box. If you maximize the track, you will see some more of the tracks parameters. The first is the quantize setting, the second is your midi input, the third is the player(sampler) which is probably the Kontakt Player and the fourth is the channel. Make sure the fourth (the channel) is set to (in my example) channel 1 for oboe in the first track and in the second track the channel is set to channel 2 for violin. This is provided you have the Kontakt player set up with the instruments in those particular tracks. (you can verify that by looking at the Kontakt player and seeing the channel assignment in the middle of the players graphic interface.

If that is not your problem, then you probably need to give a little more information as to channels used, track assignments, and player (if it is not Kontakt).

I hope this helps more than confuses
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hello pdlstl,

I use GPO with MIDI in Sonar extensively and this can be quite a big topic. I am not aware of any step-by-step source but I will help if I can.

I am not entirely sure of how you enter tour MIDI instrument into Sonar, whether you have a prepared MIDI file or use a MIDI keyboard to enter the MIDI data or prepare your MIDI file via a notation editor. Whichever way you use to enter your MIDI notes doesn't really matter at this stage. The main point is that you will need to add a MIDI track in Sonar for each instrument you want to use.

When you have added sufficient tracks, one track for each instrument, and have entered the 'notes' for each track the next stage is to assign each track to a GPO instrument.

I assume from your post that you already have GPO loaded as a VST instrument into Sonar. The next stage is to use Sonar's 'Synth Rack' to load the GPO Kontakt Player and then to load each instrument you need into the Kontakt Player.

The next thing then is to go to each MIDI track and to match the MIDI track with the instruments as set up in the 'Synth Rack' such as Flute on channel 1, Oboe Channel 2 etc.

This is the very basic procedure and points you in the general direction of things. If you need further info on any specific point please ask and I or one of our members will do what we can
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Oooops .. was preparing my reply the same time as Rich.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I guess I type faster.

Good luck pdlstl, I hope you can get it to work out. Sounds like a good project.

Rich

Richand Michael,

No, I do not know how to assign different channels. This is one of the (maybe the main?) things I'm asking.

I know on the left side there are eight "tracks" (channels?) and then the one track the MIDI data resides in. This is addition to all of the audio tracks in the Track View.

When I use the Garritan Steinway, as it plays, I see the meter moving in the first track and the MIDI data track.

I also use EZDrummer and the mixer in EZD lets me assign different drums to different tracks. So on playback back I see the kick meter bouncing in one "track", the snare in another etc. How do I do this with GPO?

How would I put the oboe on one track, the violin on another etc.?

And then when I veiw the PRV, would all of the MIDI data for all the instruments be displayed in one PRV?

As I said, I use Insert>Soft Synth> GPO. Should I be implementing this differently.

Thanks sooooo much!

Earl

Okay, I think I understand you. All the midi is in a single file and not separated into tracks? You should first save the midi file so that each track is saved as a separate file.

Are you using Kontakt player version 1 or version 2.3.3 (the newest one)? This makes a little difference but still functions the same in Sonar.

The Kontakt 2 Player has a rack with GPO on the left and JaBB if you have it or any other Garritan Library. In the right of the player is a rack for each instrument you select. By default the rack is filled (as you make your choices on instruments) from top to bottom and from channel 1 to 16 in consecutive order, so the Kontakt player rack should set up for you. To be sure, maximize one of the players (say the oboe one) and a screen in the middle of the player (it is black in color with white letters) should have the name of the instrument and then below it Output (which should be to your sound card) and below that Midi Channel which is selectable by clicking on it.

And then when I veiw the PRV, would all of the MIDI data for all the instruments be displayed in one PRV?
    I don't know what PRV means. But, in track view you should have separate tracks for each instrument's midi line. You should have a midi clip for oboe, a midi clip for violin as well as your drums. These should be shown in track view horizontally stacked one upon the other with each having their own track and channel selectors.

As well, you should also have a track for the Kontakt player for when you added a synth rack from the "View" menu.

I hope this helps

Rich

To add a track for another instrument, right click in the track view in the section where the instruments are and then select Insert MIDI Track. Name the track for the instrument you want. If you click on the IO tab at the bottom left of the track view it will display your output for each track. In the track strip you should see your input, track output and MIDI Channel. Set the Output to GPO (Kontakt Player 2) and then the MIDI Channel. For the piano it would be MIDI Channel 1, the oboe would then be set to MIDI Channel 2. Make sure in the GPO Player you have the same MIDI Channels set. By default the first instrument loaded in the player will be channel 1, the 2nd instrument will be channel 2, etc.

Jim

PRV is Piano Roll View - typically referring to the the piano roll view inside the main console rather than the ahem Piano Roll View per se.

pdlstl, let us know if you still don't get it and perhaps one of us can place a screen shot. What version of Kontakt and Sonar are you using?

What version of Sonar are you using? Are you using VST?

I am using Sonar 4 and VSt. I do not have the newest Kontakt player, as I don't need it now. I open the synth rack view, select a GPO player, usually, 1, then load into each of the slots of the player whatever instrument I want. When you enter your music, enter VST 1 (Or whatever. You can use up ot 8). as your output, and channel number according to what slot the instrument is in.

That should get you going.

Richard

Go Back to forum