• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dream Of The Return [JABB + Live]

Share/Bookmark

Dream Of The Return [JABB + Live]

Hi Folks,

Well, I finished off and packaged my christmas cd for my folks - you know the Big Band stuff all played on live brass with the JABB rhythm section.

There was one track which almost made it, but got cut because in the end I reckoned it wouldn't be my folks "cup of tea".

But..... I thought I would share this 90% finished track with my forum friends.

Dream Of The Return

It's a Pat Metheny composition arranged for big band by Bob Curnow. As I say, it's all as his arrangement, but the saxes have been replaced by trumpets, bass trumpets and a bass trombone.

There is some distortion for which I apologise - this would have been fixed had it made it to the album

It's a different style to my previous postings, but I hope you still enjoy!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Dream Of The Return [JABB + Live]

Richard:

A "dreamy" return indeed. Nicely voiced and so well
    played. Looks like you have built a fine road to using
    virtual and "live" instruments consecutively. What
    possibilities this combination gives you (as you, undoubtedly
    have already found out).

Yes, it can be refined as you said, but the basic structure
    is there and is deserving of much praise.

BRAVO, Richard
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Some work left to be done on the mix entirely
    aside, I love the sound of this... the brass gives
    it a real richness and depth and gentle power that
    I doubt the saxes could impart.

I don't know what you'd call this.. an adaptation
    of an arrangement of an original composition...?
    Whatever the case, much enjoyed.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Richard,

I enjoyed listening to this work very much, excellent production. It is interesting to hear the live brass over the JABB percussion. A nice contrast indeed. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

loved this Richard,

Roberto

A secret Bonus Track! Nice!

Oh yeah, Richard - this has been one fantastic project, your Jazz album with live brass and JABB rhythm, and even without this cut on the CD, your folks are surely gonna really appreciate it hearing what you've done.

This is a wonderful arrangement. - I hope you go ahead and fix up the mix for your own edification - To me it's balancing things better which is most needed.

Beautiful potential in this. Thanks for letting us hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for listening and commenting guys.

This was one of about thirty other tracks that got dropped along the way - due to one or more factors such as playability, listenability, and "fitting in" with the chosen few!!

Along with one or two other cut tracks, I will take this one to completion - I love the arrangement [If you haven't heard it, take a listen to Bob Curnow's album "The Music of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays" - it;s a cracker!!]

Cheers!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum