• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sunrise over the Meadow

Share/Bookmark

Sunrise over the Meadow

Sunrise over the Meadow

2nd movement of The Road to Victory

This movement centers on one of the soldiers and the inner conflict of his emotions. He is standing guard above the encampment on a ridge. Below him to his left are his compatriots and below him to his right is a meadow. The sun is just beginning to rise and the meadow is slowly coming to life. Tomorrow they will all go into battle and he doesn’t know if he will live out that day.

In the meadow, the little animals are scurrying around trying to find breakfast. A beaver is repairing his dam, a flock of geese come in for a landing and begin to mill about. In the camp, the soldiers are also awakening and going about the same things. The meadow appears to be very peaceful, whereas the camp is an obvious sign of war.

The guard knows that he can just walk across the meadow and keep right on going and not have to fight the coming battle. Yet in the camp are his friends and companions who will depend upon him to cover their backs.

This piece is about his conflict of which action he should take. Stay and face death, or flee and ensure his survival. The guard finally choices to accept his destiny and rejoins his companions.

Here is the Mp3

http://www.box.net/shared/a13ykf4tpx

Here is the link to the 1st movement, now with the added percussion

http://www.box.net/shared/6llfgf9mo7

Any and comments are appreciated

Ron

Re: Sunrise over the Meadow

Hi Ron,

As I try to keep up with responding to as many pieces here as I can, I now always eagerly anticipate hearing what you have to offer.

You've done a really, really nice job here of painting a musical picture of the scene you describe in your post; the dichotomy of impending human conflict with the vibrant wildlife in the meadow is portrayed very effectively all the way through.

You continue to develop your own unique voice and compositional technique; this is nice stuff! Looking forward to the next Rolifer offering!

Danny

Danny

I now look forward to your comments on my works. It is very comforting to know that there are people you can count on.

I think that this is the weakest of the 4 movements, yet a friend of mine said he thought it was the strongest. Funny how people look at music.

I look forward to when you have another spare 10 minutes and compose another great piece in that timeframe.

Thanks again

Ron

A handsome addition to this growing opus, Ron; with
    some parts I found quite tasty, amidships.

On the rendering -- I know we both come from the
    "drier is better" school -- but I think I might look at a little
    more depth to the reverb. Most of the material is
    slower, more sustained (well, relatively); and typically
    that kind of material enjoys a bit more space. It
    would also help smooth out those strings somewhat,
    I think.

Keep it coming.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron,

Very fine writing and production. I like that explaination that you provided. It certainly lends a better musical understanding for my part. I agree with David that a little more reverb might give it a better presence. Thanks for bring this to the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A handsome addition to this growing opus, Ron; with
    some parts I found quite tasty, amidships.

On the rendering -- I know we both come from the
    "drier is better" school -- but I think I might look at a little
    more depth to the reverb. Most of the material is
    slower, more sustained (well, relatively); and typically
    that kind of material enjoys a bit more space. It
    would also help smooth out those strings somewhat,
    I think.

Keep it coming.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David

I have gone back and made this a touch wetter. In sib, I have to save settings in so many places that it always scares me each time I reopen a file. I never know what instruments will play what sounds and have to hope that the settings in Kp2 are what I want.

It does seem to smooth the strings out some as well. Hopefully this week I will get money that is owed to me and promised to me from my school and I will be able to afford a DAW.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Ron,

Very fine writing and production. I like that explaination that you provided. It certainly lends a better musical understanding for my part. I agree with David that a little more reverb might give it a better presence. Thanks for bring this to the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Gary

Thank you for the kind words

And thanks again to all

Ron

Hi, Ron

The word "evocative" comes to mind quicker with this piece than anything previous - Not detracting from what we've heard previously, just that this poignant piece with its juxtaposition of themes - nature versus human turmoil, is especially involving to me as I hear it.

Beautiful work from your rather amazing imagination. Really admiring what you're doing, Ron.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ron,

I listened to this once, then the first movement with percussion and then back to this. The contrast in "Sunrise ..." between the two pastoral scene and the inner comflict is very effective. There are quite a few fine instrumental moments particularly for the brass and woodwinds. The meadow passages are, to me, some of your best composing.

I think I would give the edge to this over the first movement although I like them both. The percussion does add a military touch to the first movement.

Great work!

Herb

Randy

As always, I appreciate your comments. Evocative is a powerful word.

Now I get the added pleasure of listening to your newest posting of Dorian.

Great night!!!

Herb

Another friend that I can always count on to be there. I hope you are working on something to get posted here soon.

Thanks again

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Sunrise over the Meadow

Ron,

This very much hits the mark you were aiming at, with the description of the scene you posted. It perfectly portays the depth of this poignant undercurrent and complex dichotomy in this beautiful majestic meadow and it's inhabitants caught in a war. Very impressive and expressive composition and rendering.

... and I wish you the best of luck on recieving the payment to get your DAW.

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast