• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is a good sample playback engine still missing?

Share/Bookmark

Is a good sample playback engine still missing?

Is it just me, or are we still missing a sample playback engine that both does everything that's needed and has a good interface?

Seems as though there are limitations to the programs that I've worked with:

1. Kontakt seems to do most everything. But the disorganized interface keeps me away. Trying to work with complex instruments with many groups\layers and envelopes is at best tiresome.
    2. Gigastudio hides things on tabs, offers comparatively little control over the filters, and forces you to create layers (not velocity layers) by either hiding one sample behind another or by creating "dimensions," when just a tab for another layer of samples would be cleaner.
    3. GVI, the standalone verison of the Giga QuickEdit screen, is better, but it won't let you create instruments, and has the same problem with adding layers, so that just adding a hammer knock means creating a "dimension."
    4. Short Circuit 2 has a far better interface, but it has no direct-from-disk playback, so you never know when the samples will start to stutter\freeze, and it offers only two envelopes.
    5. Wusik also has a good interface, in terms of controlling most everything from one screen and putting separate layers on separate tabs, but editing in the sense of adding a sample is cumbersome, and you can't easily set parameters for just a single sample or two.
    6. Directwave doesn't have direct-from-disk playback either.
    7. VSampler has a good interface and great control over the filters, but you can't create layers of sounds without one sample hiding another as you create groups. You can work with this arrangement, but only by too much clicking on menus and submenus. Once you see how cleanly you can work with layers of sounds in Short Circuit 2, you want those little tab buttons on every sample engine.

I don't have enough experience with the others, such as Halion, Exs, and Independence. Do they all have some limitation that another program overcomes?

I guess I'm wanting too much? Maybe Kontakt's level of control, with VSampler's control over filters, and with Short Circuit 2's interface?

Re: Is a good sample playback engine still missing?

EXS is very good, but not up to date. Scripting is not available, and some new features in kontakt are no there. But as far as cpu usage and ease of use I think it is one of the best.

Independence from Yellow Toolls looks nice...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

AFAIK, a good non-proprietary, 64-bit sampler is still missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Shaw
    AFAIK, a good non-proprietary, 64-bit sampler is still missing!
    Deep in an enchanted eden of Sampleville, where virtual instrument nymphs and sampling golems cavort far from the prying eyes of mankind, a powerful prince will emerge over proprietary sample domain. Soon to assume the rightful throne, this new sampler conjures sounds of such surpassing beauty and allure that, it is said, to listen to its muses is to ascend to the very gates of Paradise itself. Openness is its eternal guardian.

The dark forces had been stirring, and doom cast its shadow over the land of man. Proprietary samplers had spread their limiting influence into every crevasse of the musical world. Their stranglehold on creative life have stifled the vision of many who fall under their sway.

But behold! The Flame of Hope flickers! Is the new Prince of Samplers at hand? Is he gathering his legions of features, steadying his 64 bit scepter and getting ready to usher in a new realm of sampling?....

Garritan! Do you mean...?

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

SFZ, even it dont look like that, is very very powerfull, it allow to use keyswitching, random for staccato, and lots of other powerfull features, and is free. But you need to know a little to program it, trough a text editor (is not so difficult)
    I guess that "Dimension Pro", the commercial incarnation of it, is much more powerfull that it, but never had the chance to try it.
    Marcelo Colina

For me, a good sample player just doesn’t exist at all. Cause a good solution today has to merge both player and sequencer to get a real playback at cursor, the ability to ‘see ahead’ for speed detection, legato detection etc. , no more routing and track naming headache, and many other advantages...

The separation between a player and a sequencer is purely artificial in the software’s world, it’s only an heritage of the hardware time.

And we still live in this since years...

It’s a nonsense.
    Gabriel Plalame.

(The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.)

It would be naive to say what's currently buyable is the "ultimate".

Even heavily programmable/scriptable samplers come with frustrating built-in assumptions and limitations that inhibit more advanced techniques.

Cheers,
    -VR

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha
    Garritan! Do you mean...?

tony h
    Yes, he's developed the "Virtual Ensoniq Mirage" ...

Ernie

Go Back to forum