Is it just me, or are we still missing a sample playback engine that both does everything that's needed and has a good interface?
Seems as though there are limitations to the programs that I've worked with:
1. Kontakt seems to do most everything. But the disorganized interface keeps me away. Trying to work with complex instruments with many groups\layers and envelopes is at best tiresome.
2. Gigastudio hides things on tabs, offers comparatively little control over the filters, and forces you to create layers (not velocity layers) by either hiding one sample behind another or by creating "dimensions," when just a tab for another layer of samples would be cleaner.
3. GVI, the standalone verison of the Giga QuickEdit screen, is better, but it won't let you create instruments, and has the same problem with adding layers, so that just adding a hammer knock means creating a "dimension."
4. Short Circuit 2 has a far better interface, but it has no direct-from-disk playback, so you never know when the samples will start to stutter\freeze, and it offers only two envelopes.
5. Wusik also has a good interface, in terms of controlling most everything from one screen and putting separate layers on separate tabs, but editing in the sense of adding a sample is cumbersome, and you can't easily set parameters for just a single sample or two.
6. Directwave doesn't have direct-from-disk playback either.
7. VSampler has a good interface and great control over the filters, but you can't create layers of sounds without one sample hiding another as you create groups. You can work with this arrangement, but only by too much clicking on menus and submenus. Once you see how cleanly you can work with layers of sounds in Short Circuit 2, you want those little tab buttons on every sample engine.
I don't have enough experience with the others, such as Halion, Exs, and Independence. Do they all have some limitation that another program overcomes?
I guess I'm wanting too much? Maybe Kontakt's level of control, with VSampler's control over filters, and with Short Circuit 2's interface?