• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stuck Note & Bizarre Volume Changes

Share/Bookmark

Stuck Note & Bizarre Volume Changes

STUCK NOTE:
    I ran into something this week that has never happened to me before. I started working on an instrumental in Cubase three weeks ago using GPO and the Strad. Last night, I suddenly got a "stuck" note for the string bass. Whether I stop play, let it loop back to the beginning, or even proceed past the end of the song, that note just keeps on playing. I tried putting in a KS for a pizz, followed by the KS for arco, but that didn't make any difference. Last night it would stop momentarily, then start again. I'd reset my audio, etc. but it didn't make any difference. It just kept coming back. The only way to finally stop it was to close the file. Today it stops when I stop the transporter. (If I don't stop the transporter, it keeps playing forever, regardless of looping or anything else.) Is there a "note off" KS I can program in?

VOLUME:
    The other thing I've had happening is the volume suddenly kicking in for no apparent reason. I'm happily going along, controlling the volume as I want it, when there's a sudden blast of sound (that remains at the high level). Suggestions?

Many thanks!

Barb

Re: Stuck Note & Bizarre Volume Changes

Hi Barb, welcome to the forum.

I used to get the sticking notes while using GPO in Finale, but never the volume change you described. It would also not stop unless i closed and reopened the file. After i got the updates for GPO, the Kontakt Player, and Finale, the problem went away.

Sorry i don't use cubase, but there are some here who do, so maybe they will know.

David

Hi Barb,

hm, I have a suggestion: Open the songfile and then in cubase select the midi bass-track and go to the midi-funktion: "Delete all controllers". So, if the stuck note (and bizarre volume-changes) now is away, so you know that there is something wrong with the controllerdata in this track (cc64?). You can edit it right then... .

What cubase and player/sampler are you using? Have you done all the updates?

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

You guys are awesome...the way you try to help people out!
    Okay, so I deleted all controllers for that track...but the sound still goes on... and on...and on. (Is that something like "The show must go on"?)

I believe I have all the updates downloaded and installed--except for the latest Cubase versions (4.1 which "broke" some things that were fixed, and the subsequent "hot fixes" which are not supported). Might this be the issue?

I'm running Cubase 4.0.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by bmurrin
    You guys are awesome...the way you try to help people out!
    Okay, so I deleted all controllers for that track...but the sound still goes on... and on...and on. (Is that something like "The show must go on"?)

I believe I have all the updates downloaded and installed--except for the latest Cubase versions (4.1 which "broke" some things that were fixed, and the subsequent "hot fixes" which are not supported). Might this be the issue?

I'm running Cubase 4.0.

Barb
    I use Cubase 4.1 and all works great... .

Perhaps you can send me the Cubase cpr songfile, so I will look what happens here...

gunther@metaphon.de
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Barb, and welcome to this great forum!

I am also working with cubase and I get those stuck notes that go on forever. But someone helped me out on that, so if I can help you too I'll be glad.
    I assume that it happens to you when you are working at the MIDI stage? If so, in the menu click 'MIDI' and scroll down to 'reset'. It stops the sound right away.
    Your volume problem hasn't happened to me in the way you described it. But an unusual volume problem can occur when certain controllers 'clash' with each other, kind of doubling the volume.
    Does it happen always in the same place, with the same instrument? Which
    volume(s) are you working on? Is it the individual instrument's volume, the main volume of the project, CC1 (modulation)?

Yudit

Hello Barb,

I don't use Cabase (I'm a Sonar man) but when I tried my first MIDI file the same thing happened for me. Later I realised that I was unintentionally using the DXi version of GPO instead of the VST version. When I corrected this and swapped to the VST version everything worked as it should.

Just a thought
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by bmurrin
    STUCK NOTE:
    I ran into something this week that has never happened to me before. I started working on an instrumental in Cubase three weeks ago using GPO and the Strad. Last night, I suddenly got a "stuck" note for the string bass. Whether I stop play, let it loop back to the beginning, or even proceed past the end of the song, that note just keeps on playing. I tried putting in a KS for a pizz, followed by the KS for arco, but that didn't make any difference. Last night it would stop momentarily, then start again. I'd reset my audio, etc. but it didn't make any difference. It just kept coming back. The only way to finally stop it was to close the file. Today it stops when I stop the transporter. (If I don't stop the transporter, it keeps playing forever, regardless of looping or anything else.) Is there a "note off" KS I can program in?
    You can stop a hanging note by clicking KP2 | Engine | Restart.

Your sequencer may not allow you to send a "note off", but you can send a "All notes off": CC#123=0. Just make sure "All notes off / all sounds off" is checked in Instrument Options | Controller for the instruments in question (KP2). It is checked by default.

When you open KP2, does it say anything about "Script error" in the lower left corner (of the player, not the instrument)? A script error can produce this kind of malady, and script errors are very hard to eradicate completely, no matter how much you test the instrument. An Engine Restart will reset the script/instrument, though, and allow you to play until the condition, that resulted in the error, turns up again.

I used to be a cubase SX3 man and would occassionally get this. The reason for it happening to me was simple tho and doesnt sound like it is in your case. For me, it happened when a midi note was held down right to the end of a midi region, so no note off message was sent to the KP2 engine...if this is the cause of your problem just extend your regions a little. hope that helps, if not, good luck in your search!

ben

UPDATE & RESPONSES:

- (Gunther) Delete controllers - Did not work.
    - (Ben) The stuck note always happens in the string bass part, on the final note (which ends before the midi region ends). I extended the region a bit more to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't.
    - (Michael) Re GPO: It's the VST version. (I did not install DXi).
    - (Yudit/Sunbird) - I went to MIDI / Reset, and this manual shut-off worked! It was such a relief not to have to close and reopen the file!
    - (Nickie) I hate to admit my ignorance, but there's no help for it:
    a) How/where do I send an "all notes off": CC #123=0?
    b) I can't find the Instrument Options in KP2 that you mention.
    BTW, I don't get any "script error" messages.
    - (Ben) Re volume changes: I'll be recording a part, just inputting notes, when the volume for the part I'm working on suddenly increases drastically. The new (loud) level remains until I manually decrease it. I've had this happen on string and woodwind parts; I don't recall if it's ever happened on a keyboard part.
    - (Gunther) I will send you my file if you promise to be kind to my amateur efforts! This is only my second instrumental song and is a work in progress. I am going to change the melody to a variation at the part where the harp comes in, and I haven't had time yet to finesse the individual tracks. (I was more interested in getting the notes in.) You'll hear some weird volume things happening in a couple spots (beginning of Vn 1 and partway through the Engl Hn part).

OTHER:
    While we're on the topic of "Name 101 Things That Can Go Wrong When Barb is Driving", is there a tutorial available that discusses setting beginning track volume parameters so that I don't have to manually activate the volume on individual tracks each time I start a song? I allow a couple measures at the beginning where I bring up the volume with the mod wheel while in record mode, before the instrument starts. I thought that would solve the problem, but it doesn't appear to for all instruments. I have to go and manually wiggle the mod wheels in KP for each instrument to take it from partially muted mode to proper volume.

Thank you, again, for all your willing assistance. I'm humbled by the collective knowledge on this forum.

Barb

Go Back to forum