• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chimp Beats Out College Students

Share/Bookmark

Chimp Beats Out College Students

A young chimp beat out college students in a test for short term memory.

Bonzo goes to college and kicks butt.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071203/D8TA8PA80.html

Re: Chimp Beats Out College Students

I saw this article earlier, but forgot all about it!

I just had to...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

What makes the researchers think the chimp's better scores have anything to do with memory? 4/10 of a second is pretty short. I would think it has more to do with quick recognition than memory. If you can't recognize something that quick, your photographic memory is useless.

If the humans ate natural foods like the chimps, instead of man-made chemical concoctions, then the humans would be faster and smarter than the chimps in tests of cognitive skills, but probably a little slower in a foot race, and probably a lot slower in climbing trees and swinging from branches.

So in some ways the chimp is smarter, because he doesn't create poisons to add to his food supply, but if he could do something that stupid, who knows, maybe he would.

Another factor is, humans will see the shape, recognize the number and then remember the number. The chimp will see the shape and remember the shape. No processing of recognizing what the shape represents before committing to memory.

"So the next logical step, Lonsdorf said, is to fix up Ayumu with some real competition on these tests: little kids."

Boy are we far down the mental-accumen food chain....

Actually I can see where any animal living in the wild would need to recognize danger pretty darn quick. It isn't that surprising that chimps are better at these things. Humans need other skills, like language, and shoe-tying, and coffee brewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S Phillips
    "So the next logical step, Lonsdorf said, is to fix up Ayumu with some real competition on these tests: little kids."

Boy are we far down the mental-accumen food chain....

Actually I can see where any animal living in the wild would need to recognize danger pretty darn quick. It isn't that surprising that chimps are better at these things. Humans need other skills, like language, and shoe-tying, and coffee brewing!
    Coffee brewing. Check. "Who needs sleep? Have another cup! We can sleep when we're dead!" (Don't let Gary see that!)

Do you know Bach wrote a "coffee cantata"?

Oh and a roomful of chimps, given unlimited time at typewriters, are bound at some point to type out Shakespeare -- it's all in the statistics.

I know -- that's how I compose!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S Phillips
    Exactly my thoughts.

Go Back to forum