• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Update to the Update of the Updates - February 2008

Share/Bookmark

Update to the Update of the Updates - February 2008

As many of you know, I have been posting periodic updates to let everyone know where we are with various projects. Here is the latest news....

Christmas Sale!

Many of you asked and we heard you! We will be offering an incredible and fun new Christmas event that will have you rolling in sugar plums. It won't be a Group Buy and it won't be a sale - it will be something better! We will announce something next week. Stay tuned!

Recently Released Products

We have kept you apprised of our progress with various projects and products and here we'll list what's been done:
    Products Now Released: In the past few months the following products have been released:
    • Concert and Marching Band - Shipping

• GPO and JABB with Kontakt 2 Player - Updates Posted and Boxed Versions shipping

• Reason GPO Refill - Available now for download (only $79)

• Sibelius World and Sibelius Choirs - Now shipping from Sibelius
    Other Projects: Other projects recently completed are:
    • The Garritan Community Christmas Album 2007 - Now Posted and CDs Available. The Garritan Christmas Album is the 4th annual collaborative effort of the Garritan forum community. The album is now available for download and we are also making available a limited number of compact discs. Here's the link to the Christmas page:http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

• Chuck Israels’ Jazz Arranging Course - Free interactive course now online. "Exploring Jazz Arranging" is an entire jazz arranging course based upon an interactive version of Chuck Israels' upcoming book. The interactive audio examples that follow the score make this ideal for all who want to learn about jazz arranging. Chuck Israels is a true jazz master and there simply is no better source from whom to learn about jazz arranging. Here is a link to the course: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

• The Garritan WIKI - New Tutorials Now Posted.
      The Garritan Wiki has dozens of user tutorials. It is a shared knowledge base full of interesting information created and maintained by users of Garritan libraries. Everyone can contribute and be involved. http://garritan.info/index.php/Main_Page

• New Distribution with Hal Leonard, MakeMusic and Sibelius - Hal Leonard, along with Sibelius and MakeMusic are distributing our libraries. Hal Leonard, the largest music publisher in the world, will be distributing our soundware and our upcoming educational content which integrates music technology.

General MIDI (GEM)

The GEM (General MIDI) library we hoped would be done by now. The typical General MIDI aspects have been finished. We have been trying to add extra capabilities (like legato, variability, dynamic control) and those additional controls that have served us well with our other libraries. We're finding it a challenge to do this in the Kontakt 2 Player without the scripting continually breaking. When we add one feature another breaks, we fix that and something else breaks - and so on and so on. Tom is about ready to go to the loony bin. We would very much like to provide the extra capabilities.

We have a few options
    1. Release the library as a typical General MIDI library that behaves like the other GM libraries (and forget the extra capabilities for now). With this option we can get the library out very soon.
    2. Keep working to try to resolve the issues and provide extended capabilities. This option requires more time and not even sure if we can resolve all the issues.
    3. Wait until we can do this with our own player. This would take the longest.
    Let me know what your thoughts are.

Orchestral Strings 2, Stradivari, Gofriller, etc.

As previously posted, we will be doing something different with all of the strings. It will involve the new ARIA player. We are working on things that have never been done before so it's taking time. I'll comment further when the time is right.

Choirs

Also, as previously posted, the Choir is progressing just nicely. Garritan Choirs comprise samples from members of one of the world's most well-known choirs. We are still in R&D mode with lyric singing capabilities. So don't expect anything too soon. We're working on some totally different - like our multilingual plug-in. You'll be able to sing your favorite multilingual words like:
    • "Nak-hur" (a Persian word meaning “a camel that won’t give milk until her nostrils are tickled),
    • "Bak ku-shan" (the Japanese word for “a girl who appears pretty from behind but not from the front),
    • "Areodjarak put" (the Inuit word for “the practice of exchanging wives for a few days).
    How could you live without a library that can articulate words like that? You'll need this so badly!

Authorized Steinway Piano

Sample Discs are at the replicators and manual is being finalized to go to the printers. It's looking like this will be fairly soon.

The ARIA Sample Player

Deep in an enchanted Eden of Sampleville, where virtual instrument nymphs and sampling golems cavort far from the prying eyes of mankind, a powerful prince will emerge over proprietary sample domain. Soon to assume the rightful throne, this new sampler conjures sounds of such surpassing beauty and allure that, it is said, to listen to its muses is to ascend to the very gates of Paradise itself. Openness is its eternal guardian.

The dark forces had been stirring, and doom cast its shadow over the land of man. Expensive, proprietary samplers had spread their malign influence into every crevasse of the musical world. Their stranglehold on creative life have clouded the vision of all who fall under their sway.

But behold! The Flame of Hope flickers! The new Prince of Samplers is coming. He is gathering his legions, steadying his scepter and getting ready to usher in a new realm of sampling....

Other Libraries:

Yes, there's more coming. But I cannot say too much. Here's why...

"Would you believe?" Devious spies have infiltrated Orcas Island to find the clues as to our secret projects.
    Even the mountains have ears (the locals remarked they saw mountaineers roaming around). I am being followed by Douglas firs in loafers. My computer coughs! And there's a blinking red light on my smoke detector. You see these clandestine operatives in their long overcoats with umbrellas (presumable poisonous) and puckering up with lethal lipstick. They lurk in the shadows - watching, observing, reporting on their cellphone Nikes. Everything is bugged. There were even bugs in the player. This is serious espionage.

That's the latest for now. If any of you are questioned, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Gary Garritan

Re: Update to the Update of the Updates - December 2007

Gary, thanks very much for the comprehensive update to the .. er .. um .. update of the .. er .. I forget the other bit. Anyway, thanks for letting us know the state of the nation. It's much appreciated.

I hope Tom is doing OK in his new surroundings; is he accepting visitors?

You have so many achievements there, you and your team are to be congratulated. I know many of us are chomping at the bit for the new goodies that are in various states of development: GPOA, Garritan Choir, Aria, GEM, to name but a few. We know these are taking time but we also know that when you release a new product it's always special and the wait is worth it.

Regarding GEM, you asked which we prefer of the following release choices.

Original quote by Gary

1. Release the library as a typical General MIDI library that behaves like the other GM libraries (and forget the extra capabilities for now). With this option we can get the library out very soon.
    2. Keep working to try to resolve the issues and provide extended capabilities. This option requires more time and not even sure if we can resolve all the issues.
    3. Wait until we can do this with our own player. This would take the longest.
    For me, I would prefer the first option. At least we get to use the library and I believe the majority of us can apply our own performance nuances of legato, variability, dynamic control etc in our notation editors or sequencers. I would go a bit further and suggest that many members might actually prefer to do this in their own notation editors or sequencers rather than in the Kontakt Player, I certainly would. Another thought on this is that I believe most of us want to move on to the new Aria Player when it's ready and to ditch the Kontakt Player. If I'm right on this then it's probably not worth Tom spending ages trying to get it all functioning in the KP and, as you say, there's no certainty that all the issues can actually be resolved anyway.

So, I say, let's have GEM now so we can start enjoying it. Work can continue to make this available in Aria and the KP if desired and posted as updates when available.

Just my own thoughts.

Thanks again for keeping us 'in the know'. This is very much appreciated.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Mr. Gary -

Do you ever sleep?? It's 0515 EST (I'm at work and taking a very quick "computer" break). Should you not be sleeping???

(Ahhh. . . What's sleep, anyway!!??!!??!! It's way over rated! LOL!)

Just want to express a word of thanks for the update. Things will be ready when they are ready.

Now. . . I wonder. . . I know your pleasant sense of humor is shining through, however there must be some level of truth with regards to the whole idea of music-software "industrial espionage". Yes?? No??

Regarding "Nakhur" . . . . I think that "Nakhur" can (and will ) make a great title for a composition. . .

Cheers to you, Mr. Gary!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I agree with Michael about the GEM

Hi Gary, thanks for the update! Any news on GPOA tho? or are you releasing it a instrument family at a time? really looking foward to it! And any chance of telling us just what mightbe in these other unspoken-of libraries (just "theres a perccusion libray" would do, no need for details...) just to stop me wasting my money on other libraries......

Love the Aria player section! lol

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    Hi Gary, thanks for the update! Any news on GPOA tho? or are you releasing it a instrument family at a time? really looking foward to
    If I got it right, Orchestral Strings 2 IS the string part of GPOA. So I think they're releasing them all separately whereas strings will be the first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow,

For a man who never sleeps, you seem to accomplish a lot.

It is great to get updates and genuine responses about what is going on in the land of Orcas.

At least we get to use the library and I believe the majority of us can apply our own performance nuances of legato, variability, dynamic control etc in our notation editors or sequencers.
    As much as this idea sounds great, I don't believe it is or could be capable since the engine that drives the samples is the KP2 player and no amount of fiddling in a notation or sequencer program will get what is not their (in the player's scripting). I would prefer the second or better yet, the third choice as they would present a polished product with all the bells and whistles.

I am like a kid at Christmas, I CAN'T wait until next week to hear about the Christmas Event (Sale).

Thanks for all your hard work, Gary (and especially Tom's work too). You are always their for your customers letting us know what is going on. THANK YOU
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thank you Gary for this update. I can hardly wait for the new thingies coming up.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

It would be really nice to have the GEM sooner, but -- all things considered -- I think it may be best to wait for the best option: the ARIA player version.

And, by the way... I tried that "Areodjarekput" thing but all I got was a "Nakhur" for my "Bakku-shan".

I too agree with Michael about the GEM; a General MIDI library that behave like a standard General MIDI library and after that the well polish Aria sample player with those extra capabilities and additional controls.

Go Back to forum