As many of you know, I have been posting periodic updates to let everyone know where we are with various projects. Here is the latest news....
Many of you asked and we heard you! We will be offering an incredible and fun new Christmas event that will have you rolling in sugar plums. It won't be a Group Buy and it won't be a sale - it will be something better! We will announce something next week. Stay tuned!
Recently Released Products
We have kept you apprised of our progress with various projects and products and here we'll list what's been done:
Products Now Released: In the past few months the following products have been released:
- Concert and Marching Band - Shipping
- GPO and JABB with Kontakt 2 Player - Updates Posted and Boxed Versions shipping
- Reason GPO Refill - Available now for download (only $79)
- Sibelius World and Sibelius Choirs - Now shipping from Sibelius
Other Projects: Other projects recently completed are:
- The Garritan Community Christmas Album 2007 - Now Posted and CDs Available. The Garritan Christmas Album is the 4th annual collaborative effort of the Garritan forum community. The album is now available for download and we are also making available a limited number of compact discs. Here's the link to the Christmas page:http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html
- Chuck Israels’ Jazz Arranging Course - Free interactive course now online. "Exploring Jazz Arranging" is an entire jazz arranging course based upon an interactive version of Chuck Israels' upcoming book. The interactive audio examples that follow the score make this ideal for all who want to learn about jazz arranging. Chuck Israels is a true jazz master and there simply is no better source from whom to learn about jazz arranging. Here is a link to the course: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107
- The Garritan WIKI - New Tutorials Now Posted.
The Garritan Wiki has dozens of user tutorials. It is a shared knowledge base full of interesting information created and maintained by users of Garritan libraries. Everyone can contribute and be involved. http://garritan.info/index.php/Main_Page
- New Distribution with Hal Leonard, MakeMusic and Sibelius - Hal Leonard, along with Sibelius and MakeMusic are distributing our libraries. Hal Leonard, the largest music publisher in the world, will be distributing our soundware and our upcoming educational content which integrates music technology.
General MIDI (GEM)
The GEM (General MIDI) library we hoped would be done by now. The typical General MIDI aspects have been finished. We have been trying to add extra capabilities (like legato, variability, dynamic control) and those additional controls that have served us well with our other libraries. We're finding it a challenge to do this in the Kontakt 2 Player without the scripting continually breaking. When we add one feature another breaks, we fix that and something else breaks - and so on and so on. Tom is about ready to go to the loony bin. We would very much like to provide the extra capabilities.
We have a few options
Let me know what your thoughts are.
- Release the library as a typical General MIDI library that behaves like the other GM libraries (and forget the extra capabilities for now). With this option we can get the library out very soon.
- Keep working to try to resolve the issues and provide extended capabilities. This option requires more time and not even sure if we can resolve all the issues.
- Wait until we can do this with our own player. This would take the longest.
Orchestral Strings 2, Stradivari, Gofriller, etc.
As previously posted, we will be doing something different with all of the strings. It will involve the new ARIA player. We are working on things that have never been done before so it's taking time. I'll comment further when the time is right.
Also, as previously posted, the Choir is progressing just nicely. Garritan Choirs comprise samples from members of one of the world's most well-known choirs. We are still in R&D mode with lyric singing capabilities. So don't expect anything too soon. We're working on some totally different - like our multilingual plug-in. You'll be able to sing your favorite multilingual words like:
How could you live without a library that can articulate words like that? You'll need this so badly!
- "Nak-hur" (a Persian word meaning “a camel that won’t give milk until her nostrils are tickled),
- "Bak ku-shan" (the Japanese word for “a girl who appears pretty from behind but not from the front),
- "Areodjarak put" (the Inuit word for “the practice of exchanging wives for a few days).
Authorized Steinway Piano
Sample Discs are at the replicators and manual is being finalized to go to the printers. It's looking like this will be fairly soon.
The ARIA Sample Player
Deep in an enchanted Eden of Sampleville, where virtual instrument nymphs and sampling golems cavort far from the prying eyes of mankind, a powerful prince will emerge over proprietary sample domain. Soon to assume the rightful throne, this new sampler conjures sounds of such surpassing beauty and allure that, it is said, to listen to its muses is to ascend to the very gates of Paradise itself. Openness is its eternal guardian.
The dark forces had been stirring, and doom cast its shadow over the land of man. Expensive, proprietary samplers had spread their malign influence into every crevasse of the musical world. Their stranglehold on creative life have clouded the vision of all who fall under their sway.
But behold! The Flame of Hope flickers! The new Prince of Samplers is coming. He is gathering his legions, steadying his scepter and getting ready to usher in a new realm of sampling....
Yes, there's more coming. But I cannot say too much. Here's why...
"Would you believe?" Devious spies have infiltrated Orcas Island to find the clues as to our secret projects. Even the mountains have ears (the locals remarked they saw mountaineers roaming around). I am being followed by Douglas firs in loafers. My computer coughs! And there's a blinking red light on my smoke detector. You see these clandestine operatives in their long overcoats with umbrellas (presumable poisonous) and puckering up with lethal lipstick. They lurk in the shadows - watching, observing, reporting on their cellphone Nikes. Everything is bugged. There were even bugs in the player. This is serious espionage.
That's the latest for now. If any of you are questioned, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.