• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Using a real recorder to control GPO: a video using Camtasia

Share/Bookmark

Using a real recorder to control GPO: a video using Camtasia

Hi friends. I just made a little video of my screen that maybe someone can found usefull.
    Is a little test about how to control GPO, or any other sampler, using a real instrument (or your voice, if you wish).
    Basicly, what you will see and hear in the video, is, by one side, me playing a soprano recorder with a microphone (just playing, nothing elaborated). Then, an autotune plugin analyze the audio and send the midi notes to KP2. By other side, another freebie plugin, analyze the amplitude of the audio sygnal, and send it as CC#1 (or any other you wish).
    The video is played in realtime (Violin and recorder ar hard panned to left and right to easily hear them) but you can do this recording first the audio, and then translating. You can use any instrument you wish to make this experiment, even your voice. Recorder tones are easy to recognize by the autotune plugin, and recorder are easy to play, so is a good choice.
    Well, is not that i will switch to this input mode, but i believe it can be usefull when i want to make some solo part very expressive and dont want to deal with the modwheel.

Well, here is the video:
    http://www.stashbox.org/57214/midi%20controller.wmv

The video was made with the Camtasia free version i posted before, really, i like that program very much, is very usefull.
    The program i used is Reaper, and the included autotune plugin called "Reatune". It have very nice routing possibilities of the midi, so it was usefull.
    The plugin that converts the amplitude to CC# is a freebie called "Soma Enveloper"
    I believe that with some other autotune plugin that sends midi and some routing inside your host, it is possible to do, but dont know.
    Marcelo Colina

Re: Using a real recorder to control GPO: a video using Camtasia

Hi, marce

You are one very clever person! - It's amazing that you've come up with a way to make all this work without using costly programs designed specifically for it.

I watched the video several times to be sure I understood everything you were showing us. It's probably the limitation of my online computer that visual playback was jerky, but I still got the idea.

You're right, that this could be a way to develop nicely expressive solo lines, resulting in the kind of thing people get using wind controllers - which are expensive.

Your second file, the .avi, is of a totally different piece of music - not the recorder/violin demo. You need to check on that.

Thank you so much - I think I'll Have to be experimenting with this!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Randy! I removed the second link. I believe that the next time i made some screen capture i will try to use some standard size (like 640x480)
    Marcelo Colina

Ha, that`s very cool and interesting!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Well done, marce! You've given us all much to think about.

Very well done, cool and inspiring. Thank you marce!
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Way cool, Marce!

There's a lot of potential in this for tutorials and how-to's!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hey, Marce - I've been experimenting this afternoon, and have Part of your set up working, but not all of it. I hope you can help me out.

I've had Reaper for awhile, so it was easy to open it up and find the "Reatime" plugin. Great! - I quickly set up a track with Reatime and a mike. I set up another track for KP2 and put in a JABB Sax.

Once I had track 2 receiving audio from track 1, INSTANt success - The Melodica I was playing in front of the mike was controlling the Sax. Very cool. It worked live or with a recorded track.

My hitch is that I found and installed the Soma Enveloper, and it's in Reaper's VST list, but no matter where I put it in the chain of either track, it's not effecting the Sax's volume.

?

I literally tried the Enveloper in every position I could think of - ahead, behind Reatime, in track two also every position--?

Help me out if you can. I looked at the video again, but you have your Reaper laid out in a customized way that I can't quite figure out. I'm just using the default view - but that shouldn't matter. I was just hoping to see where you had the Enveloper, but you have it open in its own window and I can't tell where it is in the chain.

?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hey, Marce

My hitch is that I found and installed the Soma Enveloper, and it's in Reaper's VST list, but no matter where I put it in the chain of either track, it's not effecting the Sax's volume.

?

I literally tried the Enveloper in every position I could think of - ahead, behind Reatime, in track two also every position--?

Help me out if you can. I looked at the video again, but you have your Reaper laid out in a customized way that I can't quite figure out. I'm just using the default view - but that shouldn't matter. I was just hoping to see where you had the Enveloper, but you have it open in its own window and I can't tell where it is in the chain.

?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy. You are right, the purpose of the video is not an step-by-step, and some things are not so obvious.
    Im not an user of Reaper, so maybe is there a easier way, but i dont know. Here is what i do:

-I create a track that receives the "audio-in" signal, and in the FX chain have the "Reatune" plugin.

-Another track that receives the "audio-in" signal, and in the FX chain have the "soma enveloper" plugin (i dont put it in the first track, because Reatune filter, appear to be, the midi CCs it send)

-Another track that dont receive audio, and in the FX chain have KP2.

NOW,
    theorically you can route the first two tracks to the third one inside Reaper, but it dont work, or i dont figure how.
    SO
    here comes the complicated (not much) thing:
    -You need to have installed the MidiMaple drivers (or midiyoke)
    -In the Reaper setup, Midi devices OUT, enable MidiMaple 1 and MidiMaple 2.
    -In the Reaper setup, Midi devices IN, enable MidiMaple 3
    NOW
    You need connect MidiMaple 1 and 2 OUT to MidiMaple 3, that can be done with an utility called "MidiOX".

NOW:
    -Open the I/O setup of your first track. Select that it output to Midi hardware MidiMaple 1
    -Open the I/O setup of your second track. Select that it output to Midi hardware MidiMaple 2
    -Right Click on the vumeter of your third track. Select "Midi In" MidiMaple 3 as input.

NOW
    it must work.....

Yep, it is a little complex. Im looking a easier way to route thing inside the host, without the help of midimaple drivers. If i found the way, i will let you know.

Get fun
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks for the reply, Marce

OK - The ingredient I was missing was your use of MidiMaple. Hmmmmm.

I want to keep poking around to see if it can all be done inside the host - I'm not familiar with Reaper either. But I do see that when you add FX, you're creating a chain through which signals pass. I'm not positive you need three separate channels to do all this.

It's just mysterious to me why this Enveloper isn't doing anything when a signal is directed through it.

There's a mixing of audio and MIDI signals going on here, that's part of the complication. Maybe another plugin is needed, like one I've used once or twice in Sonar where MIDI and Audio data can co-exist on a channel. Hmmm.

I was disappointed that the Reatune plugin can't be taken out of Reaper apparently. I went to their Forum and people were asking for that to be available--Because I'd rather be trying all this in Sonar which I'm familiar with.

BUT hey - I didn't actually look for myself to see if Reatime shows up in Sonar's VST list or not. I should at least check.

I'll do the routing through MidiMaple thing if I have to, - I think it must be possible to simply this though--?

THanks---I'll be tinkering more with this!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum