• Register
  • Help

Topic: What size keyboard controller?

What size keyboard controller?

What would be a decent size keyboard to buy?

I have space limitations so I would like to stay as small as is reasonable while still having enough keys to do orchestral work without being too limited.

Re: What size keyboard controller?

i have a 64 key roland xp-30. works great and not to space consuming

I have worked with a 66 keys controller for a time but the fact that more and more libraries need keyswitches in the extreme ranges makes me consider an 88 keys controller now.
    All your strings belong to me!

If you are going to play in piano parts, I wouldn't go less than 61 keys. For general note entry you could get by as small as 37 keys.

As regards keyswitching, I have a 49 key controller for note entry, but I also have an old Oxygen 8 that I have dedicated to the range for keyswitch. Perhaps not as smooth as a dedicated 88 key controller, but it works for me.
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

It really is amazing how much output you can squeeze out of smaller keyboards. Everything I've done in the last 2 years has been done with a 49 keyboard controller (the old stalwart MK-4902)--Octave shifting happens either on the keyboard itself or in the Sonar software I use. Any other shortcomings it has are also made up in my host program.

Randy B.

California Redwoods

Well, mostly, it depends on your own preferences and work style. I would have great trouble with anything less than 88 keys, but that is because I am a pianist. I remember on occasion when I had not learned about the European custom of some pianos having short keyboards, and ran a rapid fire arpeggio which should have ended on the top C, but found some great hardwood! I write mostly piano music, but when I write organ music, I would not be disturbed by a 61 not keyboard.

Hello again, P. T.

Richard "rwayland" gave you good advice, as did the rest of the folks on this thread.

I was just moved to come back to say that I'm a pianist also, and even though it was financial restraints which made me settle on a 49 note keyboard, it really wasn't that huge of a sacrifice for me to adapt to it. It is not ideal, I don't mean to imply that, but I'm here to say that if you're determined to make music, it doesn't matter what the confines of your keyboard are.

Randy B.

Thanks for the information.

I forgot that some people here write in notation.
    I don't do that. I play things in live as best as I can and then edit it.

I'm not a piano player. I use it to enter midi for my own compositions and generally do my best on piano. I have never tried playing repertoire and probably won't as my hands aren't what they used to be. I don't even play guitar, my main instrument, much anymore.

I make many different styles of music but was concerned that orchestral work would use key switching, which I have never used before, and require mapping of a bigger range of instruments.

I suppose that , worse comes to worse, if I was going to play two parts at once I could play in the wrong octave and then transpose it.

I was hoping that 61 would be enough. Or is it 64?

I am looking at an Axiom.

I like the Novation reMote series. The keyboard could be better but the gazillion of controllers with actual descriptions displayed underneath (not just some silly LED display saying useless things like P:8V:105 ), I'm in love with those.

(EDIT): yes, it's the one the future greatest composer is touching on the avatar pic

I have an Axiom 61 that I like alot, and it has all the features you need to use the Garritan libraries (mod-wheel, pitchbend, plenty of sliders/knobs for midi CC's, channel aftertouch, a sustain pedal and an expression pedal jack). You can assign any of the midi CC's or other controls to any of the sliders, knobs, modwheel and other controls. It is a nice keyboard IMO.

Go Back to forum