• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: E la Don Don

Share/Bookmark

E la Don Don

I don't usually post things so close together, but I thought that this was seasonal, so now would be a good time. The text "E la Don Don" is a pretty famous carol; the setting here is for four voices and celesta. There is no reference to the original/traditional melody, just a different setting of the words. No choral word simulation, just "ahh".

My little seasonal offering.

http://homepage.mac.com/ronpearl/iMovieTheater30.html
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: E la Don Don

Hiya, Ron

Hmmm! This may be a fairly famous carol, but I do believe it's new to me.

What a nice "little season offering" from you - It's a rather haunting and pretty thing you've brought, wrapped up in sparkling Celesta wrapping.

Thank you very much. And the best of Holiday wishes to you and yours.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Ron,

Beautiful job on this... almost a huanting quality
    to it, as Randy said.

The vocal dialogue work in this is superb, Ron;
    I've listened through this several times, thoroughly
    enchanted by the intricate, flawless tapestry
    you've woven with the voices.

I swear, this is practically hypnotic... loved it!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron

This is a new one for me as well. I am not big into people singing, but for some reason I have always liked ahhs. Go figure.

This is a real nice mix with everything balanced well.

I have been searching for the right sound for a weird piece I am working on and just now decided that the celeste will work perfect.

Thanks!!

Ron

I'm inspired to add more to this thread - Ron said to Ron:

"...I am not big into people singing..." And the strikes me as something I've gathered to be a rather predominant taste among the composers here on the Garritan Forums.

It's been an enlightening thing for me, to hear many times now that the composers here don't have a great love of vocal music - because before I was a member here, something I was Very aware of is how the general public has exactly the Opposite taste - They are big on music with vocals, and don't have a generally big love of "instrumentals."

Isn't that interesting? I think so. When you think about it, it's a bit complex actually - For instance, the general public can think that "music" is the stuff that's going on behind the vocalists. They can think that instrumentals are automatically in the "elevator music" category, even when it's actually not. They can think that orchestral music is the stuff to go to sleep by, when of course it actually can be the stuff to stay Awake by.

And so on.

To the point of this thread, I liked the use of vocal samples in this track, Ron. There is a "pumping" quality throughout which I think is caused by too scant a use of dynamic/volume control, but it's still true that because you used some much better-than-average vocal samples, - when hearing your piece, we're able to appreciate the contribution that the human voice can make to music when it's coupled with instruments.

It's been said that the human voice is the most beautiful instrument in creation - And I think it's really true. The attributes we admire most in soulful instruments like the Violin are the ones which are the most similar to the human voice. And that, folks, is actually a fairly profound statement, even though I do say so myself.

One problem, of course, is that really strong, expressive singers are more rare than equally strong musicians. But when there is a singer who can transcend technique and make music really - well, Sing - then it's not just the general public who is transported by the experience of hearing the singer - everyone with a soul can be deeply moved--no matter how deep and long their musical education.

And so - that's my plug for music which includes vocals, like yours, Ron.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,

Wow - you got to listen within minutes of my posting! Thanks for your comments, and the thoughtful followup. I don't think the forum members have anything against vocal music per se, but rather that we don't have access to the same kind of samples that we have in GPO. You find that we use that (obviously), and augment it with other libraries; there are choral libraries out there, but they are veeeery expensive, so we hear little from that corner of the compositional world. I suspect that when Gary's choral library is released, we'll see an upsurge in such postings ( I know I'll be doing so...). Likewise, classical guitar. I wish I could get the JABB to work, but I have tried everything I can think of, but it really doesn't cut it; hence, no guitar postings.

Again Randy, thanks for taking the time to reply, and for sharing your thoughts and insights.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Ron,

Glad you found some inspiration in the celesta! I'm surprised that E la Don Don is not better known. Hey, I could have passed off the original as my own...kidding.

OT - ok with our little snowfall yesterday?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Ron,

Beautiful job on this... almost a huanting quality
    to it, as Randy said.

The vocal dialogue work in this is superb, Ron;
    I've listened through this several times, thoroughly
    enchanted by the intricate, flawless tapestry
    you've woven with the voices.

I swear, this is practically hypnotic... loved it!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

Thank you. I would say, for once, that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's quite simple; but I hope there is enough rhythmic/harmonic interest to keep it going. Not that one can tell, but it seems to fit the text nicely.

Your remarks, and your willingness to listen and respond, are always appreciated and most welcome.

Looking forward to your next posting on astrophysics!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Hi Ron,

I just loved your original composition!
    And the combination of the voices with the celesta is superb! The sounds seem to be floating somewhere...
    Btw which voices were you using??

Yudit

Yudit,

I'm glad you found this to your liking.

The voices are: Soprano/Alto are from the Papelmedia Soundfont collection (very inexpensive); the Tenors and Basses are from the Sibelius Essential Sounds - the sounds that come packaged with Sib 5. I believe the source for those patches are from M-Audio, if I remember correctly. The Sibelius Sounds is a collections from a number of different libraries - makes a complete set, and serves as a "sample" for the different programs.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast