• Register
  • Help

Topic: Too Much Rain

Share/Bookmark

Too Much Rain

Here's some pictures of the damage done by warm heavy rains this week in my county. It's much worse in Lewis and Grays Harbor counties.

The highway along Hood Canal on the other side from North Shore was closed again today because of a sink hole so I won't be going out there tomorrow.

http://www.masoncountydailynews.com/stormpix.htm

Re: Too Much Rain

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Here's some pictures of the damage done by warm heavy rains this week in my county. It's much worse in Lewis and Grays Harbor counties.

The highway along Hood Canal on the other side from North Shore was closed again today because of a sink hole so I won't be going out there tomorrow.

Well, you could send a bit of the rain on down to the Redwood Country!

Richard

Wow, looks pretty bad, glad you are safe and hope no more rain so everyone can get back to dry ground. Stay safe Fastlane!

David

Phil, my opinion is totally atypical of Oregonians, but to me, ANY rain is Too Much Rain.

I grew up here never liking the constant grey skies and precipitation - then I lived 14 glorious years in the L.A. area and came to realize I'm an absolute sun worshipper!

The energies that sunshine gives us- how can anybody not like and want that?? "I like to experience ALLLL the season" people say, stating one reason they prefer the Northwest. OK fine, then stay here --But Me, give me ONE season - SUMMER!---and it'd be like heaven on Earth to me.

I know - I'm living in the wrong state.

There's obviously a reason that Cosmopolis, Washington, has the highest suicide rate of the country - It's too dark and wet!

So why am I in wet Oregon? --That's a good question, and one I'm not ready to answer right now.

Randy B. -wishing he could wear shorts and T-shirts the year round.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane

Phil,

I've been watching the Seattle news and it's just devastating in some areas of the state. The Governor has declared a state of emergency Monday following the third in a series of storms that hit hardest south of Seattle and on the Olympic Peninsula. Many areas are underwater and mud slides and avalanches have caused extensive damage. Some are still without power.

Jeff was visitng Orcas Island and needed to get back to Portland. We could not drive him because I-5 was closed for a 20 mile stretch near Centralia. The coast highway was also damaged and the only way to drive was a 7 hour detour over the mountains to Yakima. Next we looked into Amtrack, but mudslides halted Amtrak passenger train service between Portland and Vancouver, B.C. Jeff finally got back to Portland last night by taking a flight.

Stay dry and safe Phil and our fellow Washingtonians!

Interstate 5 disappears into the flooded Chehalis River at Centralia on Tuesday. "Huge areas of nothing but brown water" was how Gov. Chris Gregoire described parts of the state after a helicopter tour.

While you guys are getting all the rain, we over in the midwest are getting tons of snow dumped on us! Not enough for a snow day, unfortunately, but we got about 5 or 6 inches on Tuesday, and we might be getting 2 more tonight! For some areas, that is not a lot of snow, but at this time of the year, that is alot in northern Illinois (at least where I live).

Anyway, hope you stay safe.

--Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Phil, my opinion is totally atypical of Oregonians, but to me, ANY rain is Too Much Rain.

I grew up here never liking the constant grey skies and precipitation - then I lived 14 glorious years in the L.A. area and came to realize I'm an absolute sun worshipper!

Randy B. -wishing he could wear shorts and T-shirts the year round.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

I'm right with you on that. I grew up in L.A. and then lived in San Diego for a while. Why I came to Oregon, I'll never know. All rain, all the time. Yuck.

On the other hand, up here you can decide to go somewhere without having to fight with the half a million other people who decided to go to the same place at the same time. I remember the beautiful beaches, but it was always ten square miles of sand covered by 9 square miles of wall-to-wall people, and no place to park.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

The damage was pretty severe - they say it was the third 100-year flood in 17 years. Luckily my family avoided most of the rain damage (I'm 20 miles east of Seattle), just ended up with a huge increase in commute times early in the week (which is a blessing compared to what others went through).

I'm saying an extra prayer for those that lost so much, as well as our good fortune.

As for defending the NW...
    I moved out here because the seasons weren't as diverse as they were in Chicago. Yes, it's cloudy here, but in the winter I can drive 30 minutes and be skiing, drive 10 and be at a beach in the summer (although you could argue summer here is only a few weeks long), we've got mountains and water all around, and it's so green compared to some parts of the country (Texas, SoCal).
    Pat Azzarello
    http://www.patazzarello.com

Go Back to forum