• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sound cards help

Share/Bookmark

Sound cards help

I just purchased a new computer w/ a soundblaster X Fi sound card. The computer is a Dell Inspiron w/dual 3.0 chips and 4 gigs of ram.

Unfortunately, I also have windows Vista. (The version where you have to reboot 10-15 times a day)

I use Sib5 with the Kp2 player and GPO and Jabb. I have Sonar Home studio 6 XL on the way to me now.

Edit: I just installed Sonar Home and And the first thing it says is that some other program is using the sound card, (nothing else is open), and asks me should I use it anyway or to disable it. I click use anyway and get no sounds. I haven't tried to disable it yet, because I don't know what will happen then.

Sib5 and the sound card do not get along very well, so it looks like I need to buy a different sound card.

I do 99% of my composing by using the mouse and putting notes on the staves. Sometimes, but not often, I use my keyboard in real time.

I am not rich, so I am looking to stay as inexpensive as possible, but want things to work right.

What ASIO sound cards do you guys recommend?

I should add that I know nothing about sound cards or ASIO and would like to stay around 100$ if possible.

Most importantly, why do I need a good sound card?

Thanks
    Ron

Re: Sound cards help

I currently use an Echo Mia Midi with Sonar. Get one on Ebay and it's within your price range. Rock solid drivers. Both Midi and audio work exactly as they should.

I also had an M-Audio Delta 66. Not bad, but I did end up going to an older version driver as I had consistent problems with the last drivers they produced for this. I used this in conjunction with M-Audio's 1x1 Midisport. Nothing but problems with that though.

Good luck.

Jon

Jon

I checked out Echo Mia Midi and the site made it clear that anyone using it w/Vista is taking their chances. I hadn't said before that I was using Vista, so that is my fault. Thanks for the help.

Ron

Ron have you considered asking Dell for XP instead? They may give it to you.

Alan

I just typed out all I had to say and bang, had to reboot again.

When I bought this they said I had to use vista, but I am hearing from others that after they complained enough, Dell loaded XP for them.

I will look into that.

Ron

Dell is compelled to sell Vista but you can usually get an XP machine if you look hard enough on their web site.
    You have a 30 day return window.

In the past few months a few people I know have sucessfully returned their Vista machines ( to Dell ) in exchange for an XP machine, having to pay only restocking fee.

You will have to "insist" ... and you will also have to ingore their warnings that you are making a mistake.
    They are invested in selling Vista even if it is less of a performer than XP and will do everything they can to convince you that you are making a big mistake.

When I bought my new custome machine from ADK (they build only audio machines) a few months ago, they told me NOT to buy vista. They were pushing XP on all their customers, because in their words "Vista just isn't playing well with audio apps and cards."
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Dell is compelled to sell Vista but you can usually get an XP machine if you look hard enough on their web site.
    You have a 30 day return window.

In the past few months a few people I know have sucessfully returned their Vista machines ( to Dell ) in exchange for an XP machine, having to pay only restocking fee.

You will have to "insist" ... and you will also have to ingore their warnings that you are making a mistake.
    They are invested in selling Vista even if it is less of a performer than XP and will do everything they can to convince you that you are making a big mistake.
    If you go through their small business site XP is still an option, I just ordered a laptop with XP for my wife. Don't know if you qualify or not but I find the deals to be significantly better than for home user. Also, though my wife does have her own business there seemed to be no special qualifications for ordering from the small/medium business site. Couldn't hurt to ask anyway, maybe you could score a slightly better deal on the return for an XP machine.

Jon

Jon

For about $90 M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 cannot be beat. It's their low end professional card but for the money you can't go wrong. I've been very happy with mine for 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J
    For about $90 M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 cannot be beat. It's their low end professional card but for the money you can't go wrong. I've been very happy with mine for 5 years or so.
    Thomas

Do you (or anyone else) know if this card works with Vista Home Premium?

Ron

Go Back to forum