• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Tamboura Sample?

Share/Bookmark

Best Tamboura Sample?

Anyone know where I can find a great tamboura sample?

Would be great to have a CD of everything you need to do a Ravi Shankar takeoff....tablas, sitar, tamboura, etc.....but the tamboura would be a start...
    Thanks

Re: Best Tamboura Sample?

Tom, I don\'t know if one exists, if it does, it\'ll be in Rare Instruments, I should think. They also are supposed to have some good tabla samples (again, second-hand reference.)

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has produced a truly PLAYABLE sitar. (I have NOT heard all the options, but those I have have left me disappointed. \'Licks\' libs will NOT cut it.)

A proper sitar needs to be sampled with the sympathetics and chikari strings omitted, and reallay with each string on its own, lest any sypathethically vibrating strings bend with you. This is very hard ot bring off in a basic sampler. Maybe you should think of shahnai, or other instrument without the sympathetic string issues.

Dasher

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    Tom, I don\'t know if one exists, if it does, it\'ll be in Rare Instruments, I should think. They also are supposed to have some good tabla samples (again, second-hand reference.)

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has produced a truly PLAYABLE sitar. (I have NOT heard all the options, but those I have have left me disappointed. \'Licks\' libs will NOT cut it.)

A proper sitar needs to be sampled with the sympathetics and chikari strings omitted, and reallay with each string on its own, lest any sypathethically vibrating strings bend with you. This is very hard ot bring off in a basic sampler. Maybe you should think of shahnai, or other instrument without the sympathetic string issues.

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, Nick mentioned that the tamboura on his demo for RARE instruments was not in the set, but despite asking, he has not replied to inquiries as to what he used.

A tamboura sample should not be a big deal. It\'s a drone. The sitar is a different story...you\'re right there!

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    In theory, tamboura is no big deal-but when I try to loop it, i find it difficult, because there are several issues-the buzz of the strings is never 100% the same so it requires a cross-fade, which is always a giveaway for a loop.

Still, it\'s usually a background instrument, so the xfade should be pretty much ignored. If I get a chance in the next few weeks, I\'ll try and sample one, but don\'t hold your breath; between my day gigs and music gigs and studio gigs, I\'m Giga-ed out! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My hero. Please let me know if you come up with one! I\'m tomhartman@adelphia.net
    Keep me posted!

In theory, tamboura is no big deal-but when I try to loop it, i find it difficult, because there are several issues-the buzz of the strings is never 100% the same so it requires a cross-fade, which is always a giveaway for a loop.

Still, it\'s usually a background instrument, so the xfade should be pretty much ignored. If I get a chance in the next few weeks, I\'ll try and sample one, but don\'t hold your breath; between my day gigs and music gigs and studio gigs, I\'m Giga-ed out! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dasher

Since its a drone you can probably get away with more than a crossfade.

Reversing should work as well.

There are other tricks you can do too

If you start with a long sample it shouldn\'t be a problem even if you do crossfade [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have not released a sitar or tampura sampling CD however in the ambient sampling CD Drone Archeology two drone tones are based on the harmonics of the tampura and sitar. I have included an 8 second mp3 demo of each at the following links

http://www.numericalsound.com/08tampdr.mp3
    http://www.numericalsound.com/04nindia.mp3

more information on this sampling CD is available at http://www.numericalsound.com/smpcdgig.html

A couple of months ago I sampled a sitar. I personally think that is almost impossible to recreate anything close to a Ravi Shankar performance because the pitch of the top 2 strings especially modulates with slightest amount of pressure puts on these strings. This pressure versus pitch factor is very sensitive on the sitar. The net result of this is that the same pitch is always slightly different (and constantly changing - even when a note is held) and is dependant on the touch of each performer. This is like attempting to recreate a sax solo in a Coltrane style ... forget it, sampling technology is simply not there.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound

King,

a \'real\' tambura has the strings plucked in a particular order; middle G, C above, C above, C below, and then a pause to allow the sound to evolve and develop (this is optional, though, some players keep going.) They attempt to minimize the obviousness of this, but a reversed sample would make any trained listener\'s ears spin like Linda Blair\'s head...

I think the best anwer probably is to sample the initial pluck several times, then do the xfade in the pause, then set the start of the sample at the pluck. You\'re right that a long xfade would be best.

BTW, for those in the SF Bay area that like excellent Hindusthani classical music, Vilayat Khan, accompanied by Zakir Hussein on tabla, will be appearing June 2 at the Flint Center in Cupertino.

Ernest, I sympathise with your problem. But I have always felt that the real problem in sampling Indian string instruments is the response of the sympathetic and rhythm/chikari strings. Pitch anomolies can be duplicated in several ways, but getting the harmonic strings to arise out of a held note seems out of the realm of Giga (although a dedicated NI-style program should be able to do it with little difficulty.)

Sorry, I kind of missed this one. The tambura sample in my demo is from Northstar global Instruments. I have the library in Roland format and have converted it to GIGA. At the time of release this was a great library. Now its just OK, but has good variety.

Go Back to forum