• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: please listen and be Very very critical

Share/Bookmark

please listen and be Very very critical (updated link)

updated link from esnips to box. thanks.

Hi Everyone, its been a while since ive posted any music on here because im currently working on a big project and so i cant go posting the music up for legal reasons, however I NEED HELP!!!!

ive been working on this track the last 2 days and its doing my ears in! Ive listened to it so many times i want o burn it...im still not happy with the mix, eq, reverb etc....or maybe i am, i dont know...so i would be v v grateful if you could just spend a few mins listening to it and pointing out absolutely ANYTHING that could be better. please, anything!

Its the first min and a half from a cue and its got a climax, thats where my main issue is i think....

http://www.box.net/shared/y7pm16v4aq

im trying to get as realistic a sound as possible and havent normalised it yet (plus theres a 3 sec silence at the start for some peculiar reason).

Please, any suggestions would be great. thanks!

Ben

Re: please listen and be Very very critical

Ben:
    I would be glad to listen but I can't figure out where it is or how to start it.
    I do not want to join any more web site groups, clubs, organizations, sects, cults, etc.-----

sos

Your opening has strenght and tension. Overall idea: great piece of music.
    Maybe you can alter it this way:

1. start as before;
    2. find a break after the first climax, just at the point where you enter those glockenspiel themes ;
    3. start the same but now use those building-up string sounds in the woodwinds, incl. bassoons, interchanging the instrument groups. Understood?
    4. For the coming (2nd) climax again use the lower brass instruments. Next you have that part again with the glockenspiel, do as before.
    5. Try to maintain that motiv (fom the start) a bit longer in the strings, after that second time.

Sound? Is good enough,but maybe, when you've finished the whol piece you can give it some more dynamics here and there. A fierceful building up at the beginning to a real "ff". Don;t know what your possisibilities are? Using Sonar? Which reverb plugs? Don't also know the purpose, is it for a concerthall or a movie theater?

What you've done so far, sounds more than reasonable.

My 2 cents,

Raymond

Hi sos, the link should take you straight to the page that it is on. it should appear in a player near top left of the screen. Theres no need to join a group or anything! Thanks for your time and enthusiasm!
    Ben

I too would like to listen but this site tries to take over my computer with a scam message about viruses, which actually don't exist. When I try to get rid of the message, it keeps returning time after time.

I would strongly recommend another site for your music.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Ben:
    I tried again but like Larry's experience, the site keeps me running in circles.
    There are two big black strips that seem to be blocking any attempt to get to your music.
    Sorry;
    sos

Well, Ben, I tried to play it, but after a long time, no sound, so I gave up.

Esnips seems to work otherwise okay, but I don't like their terms of use, which state that when you upload a file, you automatically grant a license for anyone to use, copy, distribute, MODIFY in any way they wish.

Richard

It's time for my Esnips tutorial again:

The player there doesn't work for a lot of people, including me- it really isn't a very good site. But under the player, you'll see a tiny icon for an MP3 widget. Click that. On the new page that comes up, the right song will be loaded and ready to go when you hit play. It's meant as a preview of something the page user can add to websites etc, but it works for hearing their post also.

Ben, maybe it's because I'm exhausted this afternoon and need to take a break, but I couldn't find myself having any critical feedback even though you want us to be Very Very critical. I think it's sounding extremely good.

Raymond had some interesting compositional/arrangement ideas - Not sure you were up for re-writing what you have though? The recording sounds good to go to me.

See - when someone's feeling under the weather, maybe he becomes more easily pleased? lol--No, I think you're doing a fine job. I know it can get to be a grind mixing and working on a piece for days on end - If you can allow yourself a day off from it, that will help you regain perspective.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

I didnt realise esnips was such a pain, can anyone remind me of better website to use? (ive asked before but have forgotten!)

Raymond - thanks for all the ideas, much appreciated! however it has to go the way it is as its for an audiobook soundtrack (! - yes that loud burst is me taking a few liberties ) and so it wont be rewrtten as such. However, if i ever work with these motifs again, I will definitely keep what you said in mind, so thankyou!

RBowser - thanks!(im not surprised your tired, id be tired if i responded as quickly as you do to so many threads!) Thanks for the esnips tutorial. I would love to take a break from it and come back in a few days, but sadly i dont have time. i ahve to push on and write the next couple of tracks....i was really hoping that people here could be as helpful as ever and be really picky and pick out things, like "the glock is a little loud at x secs" and too much bass frequency there, instruments arent mixed with optimum clarity here, and heres how to do it etc etc! my ears are just too tired to be picky anymore....

I should say im using only GPO, in logic 8, with space designer "2.3 clean room" setting, and rolling a little off from 40Hz down...

thanks again!
    Ben

check out http://www.box.net

There is no way I will risk going to esnips - it looks seriously dodgy.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast