• Register
  • Help

Topic: Classical Christmas Cds

Share/Bookmark

Classical Christmas Cds

This past year I have made it a goal to purchase one or two Christmas cd's each month to build a library. I have to admit the one that arrived today is just a wonderful cd. It is "The Glorious Sounds Of Christmas" by the Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy.
    I am sure the veteran composers of this forum know this cd already. But it is great for a new collector like me.Every track just seems to evoke a deep Traditional Christmas feel.I especially like the ochestrated tracks with no choir.What really is astounding is that it was recorded in 1962.....Incredible.

Re: Classical Christmas Cds

Well,I'll have to add that one to my list of CDs to check out,thanks for the info.

Merry Christmas jaredq!

I have that on reel to reel tape! Purchased it in 1968! It is a marvelous compilation! Thanks for finding it's now on CD. I must re-purchase it.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

The Philly Orchestra did a series of recordings in the 60s with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I really enjoyed their version of Messiah. This was before the trend for "authentic" recordings became in vogue.

This recording was made at the apex of the overly orchestrated versions (Mozart re-orchestrated Messiah and many of his orchestrations survive even now in some performances) But nowadays, small choirs, small orchestra tend to be the norm for performances of Messiah. (which I can appreciate as well, but I still relish this recording). There are much crisper, cleaner and more sonically pleasing recordings than this one, but... for shear enjoyment, I love this one best.

Jerry

BTW - the large mass choirs/large orchestras for Messiah Performances trend started in Handel's own lifetime - many under his own direction.
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I have just googled and found this CD. I have listend and I am very very impressed!

What a great sound!

Thank you very much for this info, jaredq!

I would buy this CD too, but sadly, I think I can`t get it here in Germany....

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

One of my favorite Christmas CDs is by Canadian tenor Floyd Gadd. Most Christmas CDs I hear are just overproduced mass-market schlock, but his seems genuinely sincere and artistic. I highly recommend it.

And it isn't just because he includes two of my own arrangements on it!

(Would it be immodest of me to mention my own?)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Oh! he he this thread is about favorite Christmas CDs?

My earlier thread was a nostalgic response about the Philly Orchestra.

My Favorite Christmas CD of all time has to be the Carol Albums
    (although I see it in two separate albums, it is available as a 2-CD set).
    It was performed by the Taverner Consort Choir and Players. Conducted by Andrew Parrot.

I really enjoy listening to this collection. It covers 7 Centuries of Christmas music.

The perfomances are authentic, well performed and recorded, and kind of give you a glimpse into the some origins of the Christmas music that has become so much a part of our celebrations.

Most of the music contained in those CDs comes from The New Oxford Book of Carols, edited and compiled by Hugh Keyte and Andrew Parrot. (Parrot is the conductor from the CDs) It is a HUGE collection. You may never need another Carol book.

Cheers

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

My parents have played enough Bing Crosby... I think "The Glorious Sounds Of Christmas" well make a great gift! Thanks for the info!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum