• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Notes being cut of in KP2

Share/Bookmark

Notes being cut of in KP2

hi there.

I use the Kontakt Player 2 in FL Studio. When playing polyphonic patches, some notes are cut off after a few seconds eg. when I play a chord. It doesn't have anything to do with the polyphonic limit.
    I'd go back to the Garritan Player but it doesn't seem to be able to load the GPO patches since I updated.

any advice on that?

Re: Notes being cut of in KP2

Hi skoshu and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear of the problem. Give us a little more information and we'll try to help you find the cause. Please tell us:
    • the version of KP2 (available by clicking on the NI logo on the top right: should be 2.2.x.00x)
    • the specs on your machine (especially OS, processor, RAM, soundcard)
    • if you're using a midi controller, its model number
    • what audio driver mode you're using for FLStudio (ASIO/WDM/MME)
    • the buffer settings on the driver, if you can find it
    • what instruments in GPO cause this problem
    Best,
    Reegs

For some reason, when FL Studio is running, KP2 always wrongly estimates the CPU usage and starts randomly killing voices whenever it goes above 0%. If you have a reasonably fast system, just click the "options" button at the top of the KP2 instance and set CPU Overload Protection to "disabled." If you still have sound issues / choppiness after doing this, then we still have a problem.

Incidentally, you might also want to have a look at this tutorial since it's not on the tutorials site yet. ;D

http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo_in_fl_studio/

Good luck,
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

thanks for the quick help and sorry for the late reply.
    disabling overload protection did indeed fix the problem.

thanks again,
    Josh

I was finding that although playing ok in FL7, the notes were being cut when rendered to an mp3 file. If anyone else is experiencing this, select the "engine" tab and then ensure that the "bounce" button is highlighted and it cures the problem. You will need to do this for each instance of K2

On another note (no pun) I find that it eats cpu like crazy but I load an instance for each instrument unless I am having a section like flute1-3. Is there any way that you can load say, four or five instruments and handle them differently in each pattern ? I have a 2.4 intel4 processor and 1Gb of Ram and didn't come across the cpu problem before (maybe just gone the other side of the limit - Ram seems to be ok.

Why in the world are you using an instance for each instrument? You should be loading multiple instruments in each instance and triggering them through individual midi-out channels. Entering events into a GPO channel is severely limiting and, as you mentioned, CPU-unfriendly. Did you read either my or Frederik Blom's tutorial? Both of them explain how to do this.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

OK I think I've got this now. I have just looked at the tutorial above and it makes perfect sense. Only problem I have now is: even if I enable multiple outputs, everything still goes through the one mixing channel - any ideas anyone ??? - Using KP2 by the way

Maybe KP2 is different after all?? I've still been using the "cheap" method. If you want to try posting or emailing (suspenlute@aol.com) the .flp file, I'd be glad to have a look.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. I think I've solved it and it's a bit obscure so I want to double check.

It seems that once having enabled multiple outputs, you have to create some outputs. What I tried last night was to create a new channel for each instrument (that gives you the advantage of each instrument having it's own kp2 effect if you want - not sure whether that is bigger overhead than using the effect in FL). Then, the trickier bit, is to assign each of those channels to a 'real' ouput channel ST1(1), ST1(2), 5.1 etc (assigning a created channel to 5.1 doesn't actualy seem to invoke the 5.1 effect). All in all, it seems there are about 16 channels to assign to. It was late last night when I figured this so I need to check it again but that seems like the way forward. I'll let you know.

Thanks / Rgds. Mike.

Just tried it myself and right now it LOOKS like that is the only way to get an effects channel for each instrument. Seems like a very hackish and backward replacement for what USED to be a perfectly simple procedure. As I mentioned, I still use multiple instances of GPO for various effects so fortunately for me I haven't had much need for this yet.... but hopefully we're both wrong about this. :/

-Chris

Go Back to forum