• Register
  • Help

Topic: kontakt2/audio question

Share/Bookmark

Question kontakt2/audio question

in writing my piano concerto, i need to have different sound levels available for each hand of the piano. so, after discussion here and in the finale forum, it was decided the best thing to do is to add a second piano and use the right hand for one piano & left for the other piano. this puts both hands in different channels and makes sound dynamics easy to control. and this is fine. it has worked very well with my finele2008 garritan instruments for finale. then, i bought the FULL gpo, because i wanted to be able to have both muted and stopped horn capability -which garritan for finale does not have. so, when i do this procedure on the piano in the FULL gpo - different channels - the kontakt2 sound levels are vastly different. something like -16dB for one hand and -3dB for the other. i go to the kontakt2 player and slide the bar to bring both of them to something like -3db. but it does not stay that way. and it forces me to use real differences in the expression box - like 'f' for one hand and 'ppp' for the other, if i want an equal sound dynamic level from both hands for a while. any ideas on what i should do to make sure kontakt2 KEEPS the levels i slide the bar to? or is there something else i should do? or should i only use the piano in garritan for finale and use the other instruments in the FULL gpo package?
    i appreciate all ideas and responses and look forward to hearing your expert opinions.
    ding

Re: kontakt2/audio question

Would it be possible, if you're working with a sequencer, to record the entire (left and right hands) performance on one track, then select the left hand notes and drag them to an adjacent track (or copy and paste them) and play both tracks through the same MIDI channel? Seems like it would work.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hi

I've been able to do this with the GPO piano without any problems.

From the sounds of things, you have the initial volume for the two staves set at different levels. Go to the instrument list in Finale (Window->Instrument Window) and check that the vol entry is the same for both staves.

If you're still having problems, and are able, post an excerpt here (or at the finale forum) so that someone can have a look.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Smile Re: kontakt2/audio question

thanks guys for your help.

am not using a sequencer - i think
    but will look at the instrument list . darrob, i have a Mac pro quad, but should be able to get to the instrument list.
    will advise
    thanks so much both of you
    ding

BTW, Finale has been updated to 2008a. See the forum and visit support for more info.

Cheers...

Smile Re: kontakt2/audio question

thank you darrob. yes i have finale2008a installed
    just checked the instrument list. both right and left hands have a vol level of 101. right hand is on channel 16 in both the instrument list and in kontakt2 in the first kontakt2 grouping. left hand is on channel 22 in the instrument list and channel 6 in the second kontakt2 grouping.
    as i say, this same setup has been used - same channels, same 2 kontakt2 groupings - before using the full gpo - and the sound levels of both hands were identical. perhaps it's just easier not to use full gpo steinway in the instrument set up, butto use garritan for finale steinway instead - and to use full gpo for the other instruments. of course, i would like full gpo piano to work on the sound levels.
    thanks again for all advice
    ding

Hi

If you're able to, post the file here so that I can have a look. The fact that the level moves in Kontak player is puzzling, as the levels should be the same when playback starts.

Cheers...

Hi

Just to re-visit this...

To get independant dynamics with the Full GPO Steinway Piano you do not need to load two separate instruments and break the staff into two separate channels.

You do, however, need to do the following:

1) Give each staff its own name. Staff Attributes->Full staff name. You can disable showing the full staff name in score and parts. (Piano RH and Piano LH)
    2) In the instrument list, create a new instrument for each staff. Again, Piano LH and Piano RH. they should use the same channel.

If you PM me with your email address, I will send you a .mus file with a simple score already set up showing how this is done.

Post Edit: After a quick experiment, I believe I know what your problem is.
    Go into the Kontakt player and look at the instruments loaded. You will probably see that one hand is using the notation instrument, and the other (the louder one) is using the non-notation instrument.
    One will be called "N-STEINWAY PIANO" (notation set) the other will be called "STEINWAY PIANO" (non notation). change the one called "STEINWAY PIANO" to "N-STEINWAY PIANO" and that will fix your problem.

Cheers...

Go Back to forum