• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midwest Band & Orchestra Clinic

Share/Bookmark

Midwest Band & Orchestra Clinic

Friends...

I will be at the Midwest Band & Orchestra Clinic from Tuesday the 18th until Friday.

If you are attending, please PM me and we can arrange to meet and talk shop.

I will be subbing for Gary--who can't make it this year--and will be located at the McCormick's booth (18-21). I will be singing the praises of Garritan Libraries to all interested parties.
    Just look for the guy WITHOUT the hat and three-piece suit!

I will be doing a presentation on VSTs in your CLASSROOM and in your computer at 2pm on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to meeting some forum members!!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Midwest Band & Orchestra Clinic

That is such a great gathering of musicians! I can only wish I were younger and could attend again.

If you will indulge me a personal reminiscence, in 1968 I heard the most fantastic concert there ever. Merle Evans, conductor of the Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey Circus Band put together a concert for directors only. He recruited most of the clinicians and exhibitors to participate and they treated us to an hour of circus music. Performers included Bill Bell, Harvey Phillips, Doc Severinson, William Ludwig and many others whose names have faded in my memory. But I do remember the highlight of the evening was the playing of "The Stars and Stripes Forever." The first time through the trio, Bill Bell and Harvey Phillips played the piccolo part on the tubas and brought down the house. They repeated it - solo - for an encore. A golden moment I shall always remember.

Thanks for indulging an aging, retired band director a moment of happy memory.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee
    That is such a great gathering of musicians! I can only wish I were younger and could attend again.

If you will indulge me a personal reminiscence, in 1968 I heard the most fantastic concert there ever. Merle Evans, conductor of the Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey Circus Band put together a concert for directors only. He recruited most of the clinicians and exhibitors to participate and they treated us to an hour of circus music. Performers included Bill Bell, Harvey Phillips, Doc Severinson, William Ludwig and many others whose names have faded in my memory. But I do remember the highlight of the evening was the playing of "The Stars and Stripes Forever." The first time through the trio, Bill Bell and Harvey Phillips played the piccolo part on the tubas and brought down the house. They repeated it - solo - for an encore. A golden moment I shall always remember.

Thanks for indulging an aging, retired band director a moment of happy memory.
    That's what it's all about!!
    BTW...Harvey Phillips was (is) my mentor & teacher...I'm also on the board of his foundation, so I see him 2-3 times a month at least! I was with him in a quartet at Midwest in 1998 when he did his last public performance.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    I will be subbing for Gary--who can't make it this year--and will be located at the McCormick's booth (18-21). I will be singing the praises of Garritan Libraries to all interested parties.
    Just look for the guy WITHOUT the hat and three-piece suit!

I will be doing a presentation on VSTs in your CLASSROOM and in your computer at 2pm on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to meeting some forum members!!
    Jim
    Jim,

Thanks for posting this and letting everyone know about the Midwest Clinic. It is an honor to be represented by you.

I am sure your presentation is going to to be a highlight of the show.

Without the hat and three piece suite? I'll send you the hat.

Just look for the guy with the fedora and Euphonium!

Gary

Hi Jim,

I am sorry to do this, as you are aware, I had intended to go, but, that particular week- and weekend, I have my wife's family visiting for the holidays and with work and all, I wouldn't have any time to visit with them at all, so I need to take a pass on this one.

I know you are the God of transposition and all, but I am more afraid of my wife's looks of disappointment than I am of your highest, squeaky herniated notes on your euphonium. (not that you have any of those), but I am sure you have SOMETHING I wouldn't want to hear. Cannot think of anything offhand.

Anyway - sorry! I hope this doesn't mean you don't want to still perform my barely unfinished, unpolished, pathetic attempt at a concert Euphonium piece.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hi Jim,

I am sorry to do this, as you are aware, I had intended to go, but, that particular week- and weekend, I have my wife's family visiting for the holidays and with work and all, I wouldn't have any time to visit with them at all, so I need to take a pass on this one.

I know you are the God of transposition and all, but I am more afraid of my wife's looks of disappointment than I am of your highest, squeaky herniated notes on your euphonium. (not that you have any of those), but I am sure you have SOMETHING I wouldn't want to hear. Cannot think of anything offhand.

Anyway - sorry! I hope this doesn't mean you don't want to still perform my barely unfinished, unpolished, pathetic attempt at a concert Euphonium piece.

Jerry
    I'm bummed. You'll just have to run down to Peoria when I am visiting MY inlaws.
    As to the "barely unfinished, unpolished (not), pathetic (NOT!!!!) attempt at a concert Euphonium piece"-- if you will make the edits, I will get going...I don't want to be playing a NON-AUTHORIZED version!!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Go Back to forum