• Register
  • Help

Topic: Karlheinz Sotckhausen (1928-2007) RIP

Share/Bookmark

Karlheinz Stockhausen (1928-2007) RIP

The composer Karlheinz Stockhausen, one of the biggest names in late 20th century classical music, passed away Wednesday at age 79.

R.I.P.

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2007/1...inz-stock.html

Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlheinz_Stockhausen

Official site:

http://www.stockhausen.org/
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: Karlheinz Sotckhausen (1928-2007) RIP

I was not familiar with this man and his works, but offer my sincere condolences and prayers to all his family and loved ones, friends and fans.

David

I am certainly not a fan of the man's music, but he did do some ground-breaking work, for which I respect him. RIP
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    I am certainly not a fan of the man's music, but he did do some ground-breaking work, for which I respect him. RIP
    I have the opposite problem. I actually like some of his music (the Mantra for two pianos, crotales and ring filter is utterly brilliant), but I wish I'd never found out anything at all about the man, then I could imagine him to be a great man worthy of respect.

Unfortunately every word he ever wrote, or gave in interview, revealed the most enormous arrogance imaginable - he actually described himself repeatedly as the greatest composer who ever lived, and only just stopped short of declaring himself to be God. All of which could have been dismissed as a bit of harmless artistic posturing if it weren't for the occasion when he declared 9/11 to be the world's greatest work of art. There was never really an apology for this statement -in fact just the opposite. First he tried to clarify, at length, what he'd meant, but pretty much just kept revealing that he'd meant more or less exactly what it sounded like. Once it was clear to him that he had dug a very big hole, rather than back down and issue an apology he tried to claim that the press had completely misquoted him, apparently forgetting that the original tapes of his interview were still available. I find it hard to have much respect for the kind of pride that just cannot ever back down and say, simply, 'I was wrong.'

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I have the opposite problem. I actually like some of his music (the Mantra for two pianos, crotales and ring filter is utterly brilliant), but I wish I'd never found out anything at all about the man, then I could imagine him to be a great man worthy of respect.

Unfortunately every word he ever wrote, or gave in interview, revealed the most enormous arrogance imaginable - he actually described himself repeatedly as the greatest composer who ever lived, and only just stopped short of declaring himself to be God. All of which could have been dismissed as a bit of harmless artistic posturing if it weren't for the occasion when he declared 9/11 to be the world's greatest work of art. There was never really an apology for this statement -in fact just the opposite. First he tried to clarify, at length, what he'd meant, but pretty much just kept revealing that he'd meant more or less exactly what it sounded like. Once it was clear to him that he had dug a very big hole, rather than back down and issue an apology he tried to claim that the press had completely misquoted him, apparently forgetting that the original tapes of his interview were still available. I find it hard to have much respect for the kind of pride that just cannot ever back down and say, simply, 'I was wrong.'
    That is very shocking to hear !! The last time I ever took any note of the man was many years ago in school so I am completely unaware of this. I wonder what could bring a person to say anything like this.....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

OldMonkeyBoy - your name does reflect your attitude

Pingu - I am with you, Karlheinz was a great innovator

To All - respect the music not the man.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Unfortunately, in this particular case, the music and the man are inseperable.

His philosophy about music influenced an entire generation of composers and teachers, and not necessarily in a good way.

Every word he uttered had a profound impact on how new music was perceived and received. His influence coloured and defined the "acceptability" of new music.

To go against the grain of HIS teachings was in many cases a death sentence to your musical career.

While the passing of any life is a sad moment, the passing of certain lives is a relief. Unfortunately, Stockhausen created the mythos around himself, and lived with it, now he dies with its effets as well.

One may demand respect of others, but this respect is a difficult gift to grant when it is not reciprocal.

He is a rarity among composers: one who is actually hated by legions of his fellows.

r.i.p.

There is an interesting discussion of Stockhausen at the kvr forum. Those who are interested are welcome to go there:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...r=asc&start=30

The link above starts on page 3, I obviously chose that starting point for a reason.

So what y'all are saying is he was some kinda twisted freak that thought mass murder was admirable and similar to an expression of art. Well if that's the case shouldn't this thread just be deleted, why give any space on this forum to such garbage?

Go Back to forum