• Register
  • Help

Topic: garritan and ubuntu-studio

Share/Bookmark

garritan and ubuntu-studio

Hi,

Is there a way of using garritan libraries with softwares from ubuntu studio, such as rosegarden and others ?

Thanks for reply.
    Alex
    Windows XP. P4.
    Full GPO and CoMB.
    Finale 2008 and Sonar 7 PE.

Mostly writing music for concert Band.
    Publishing his own work.
    http://www.alexandrecarlin.com/catalog

Re: garritan and ubuntu-studio

Hi,

Is there a way of using garritan libraries with softwares from ubuntu studio, such as rosegarden and others ?
    Maybe.

You will have to use Kontakt or Kontakt Player. No other sampler I know of can load nki files. Both are only available for Windows and OSX, but this does not necessarily mean you can't use them with UbuntuStudio.

I can think of four ways it might work:
    1. Use a second (Windows) computer connected via MIDI
    2. Use a second (Windows) computer connected via network
    3. Use Kontakt or Kontakt Player on Linux with wine and wineasio
    4. Use a Linux VST host
    Of course, 1. is trivial. Just send MIDI data from the Linux PC with Rosegarden to the Windows PC and listen to the sound coming from the Windows machine's sound card. This is probably not what you want.

I don't know if 2. is really possible at the moment. I tried the FX-teleport demo with Linux once and couldn't get it to work, but I didn't give it much time, so maybe there is a way. There might be other options for this, too.

With 3. and 4. there are some potential problems:
    1. Not all programs/VST plugins work on Linux. Some will just not. There is a site where you can check this: http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/ These reports are, however, not always 100% reliable. Sometimes, it depends on the version of a plugin. For example, I use Kontakt2 in Linux, and the only version I could get to run is 2.1.1. No other version of K2 works.
    2. Due to licensing issues with the VST and ASIO SDKs, you will have to compile some code.
    3. Don't expect technical support from NI or Garritan. Running software on platforms other than the intended is always a risky thing to do.
    I don't want to scare you, though. I use K2 on Linux and am very happy with it (except that I'm excluded from newer libraries that need a version >=2.2 ). If you already have Garritan products, you should just try it out. FST (http://www.joebutton.co.uk/fst) and DSSI-VST (http://dssi.sourceforge.net) are two commonly used VST hosts for Linux. They both integrate with jackd.

I hope this helps you a little.

Martin

Re: garritan and ubuntu-studio

I've gotten JABB and GPO to work right out of the box with wine from winehq.com on Ubuntu. I have not yet gotten Kontakt 2 working yet, so Concert and Marching Band still don't work. But if you stick to Kontakt 1 for now until a solution is found, everything will work quickly with wine.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Just joined

I am happy to have joined. it appears that the members of northern sound are familiar with more then I IV V chord dtructures. This is refreshing and I look forward to learning everyone.

Re: Help in showing my music

Can someone tell me how I could get my music posted so that others can listen and critique?

Re: Help in showing my music

Quote Originally Posted by abzgroup
    Can someone tell me how I could get my music posted so that others can listen and critique?
    Sure! Many members host from their own sites. There are also several free options available, which many other members use too. Soundclick is a common source, and box.net seems to be gaining ground as well.

Go Back to forum