• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help choosing VST piano plugins..

Share/Bookmark

Help choosing VST piano plugins..

Hi,
    i was wondering if anybody could help me by recommending some (VST) plugins. basically i'm lookig for some pro (VST) piano plugins, i've checked out "east wests" (gallaxy II grand piano collection) very good, also the quantum leap pianos, unfortunately the quantum leap is still under development but will be releasd soon, any tips..

Thanks
    Musicmad

Re: Help choosing VST piano plugins..

Hi
    Why not just wait for the Garritan Steinway
    I understand it is going to be released very soon
    Expectations are high.Just hope it doesn't idsappoint

Well regarding the EWQL pianos, keep in mind that in total it's around 260 GB. It is supposed to have 3 mic positions (like EW Platinum for example), and there are 4-5 pianos. IF you consider this then each piano must be around... 50-60 GB. If you consider that each piano has 3 mics, each mic must be around 15-20 GB. So the "true" size of the piano is 15-20 GB which is highly respectable for size, huge for RAM and the whole thing will crumble most hard disks. Of course, for such a size I'm ready to bet that the demos will be magnificent, to say the least, but whatever the demos, I'm not sold for 260 GB of hard disk space (although, I assume, or have heard from somewhere that you can actually choose to install 1-2 pianos only, not the whole thing, which does make sense)

Gallaxy II sounds great indeed.

I, personally, have Ivory, which I loved, until I got pianoteq. It takes tweaking but can sound fantastic. Is very light, even for the CPU (size it's around 15 MB, not GB) and it has plenty of variants to tweak and play with. Response to my keyboards is nothing short of brilliant!

If you are like many of us here, you will end up having several pianos: each has a different micing distance, timbre, amount of room reverb, etc. (I wonder, in fact, how many piano multisamples most of us have.)

In any case, both Pianoteq and TruePianos are very good and from their sites you can download playable demos that have limitatatons such as a few notes missing (PianoTeq) or an expiration date (TruePianos). Both will require some set up. Don't expect to sit down and immediately get the sound you want. Doing a search in the forums here, on KVR-VST.com, and on the forum at the PianoTeq site, will be of help.

The ArtVista piano vst also gets good reviews, although some classical players here have questioned its unison tuning. Has a lot of soul, though, judging from the video I've seen\heard.

I don't have the following instruments, but: Galaxy II is getting rave reviews. So is Ivory. So is the new Blüthner from ProAudioVault. These scare me a little, given the big samples sets. (Is there a name for this--for an irrational fear of big sampled piano libraries?) If you have a recent system set up for sound, though, you may well have no problem with these. The East-West Post Bos gets very good reviews, and I've heard killer recordings of it. The demos tend to have more reverb than I like. You can get a close perspective piano out of it, too.

I for one also like an older set that gets little discussion, here--the Plugsounds Volume 1: Keyboards. Requires tweaking, as they all do. Helps to have an understanding of synth technique. Has some odditities, too: the default instrument is a synthy piano that you probably won't use, and you'll want to adjust the velocity response to the filter a little, since there are no soft strikes. The pianos sound great, however. Yet, that one extra soft layer is missing... No demo, but this is inexpensive. The samples are very well recorded: lots of presence, so you can use the filters with vel-to-filter envelope settings to cut highs without killing the entire sound.

Again, don't assume that you'll want only one instrument, or have to choose among them. I dimly suspect that in the few years or so, you may find yourself having bought all of these instruments. (The ArtVista is still one I want to buy and eventually will.) The more you learn about piano samples, the more you'll want them all to give you variety.

But check out the PianoTeq and TruePianos demos. These instruments aren't so much competitors as different takes on the same instrument, with widely different but compelling results.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Well regarding the EWQL pianos, keep in mind that in total it's around 260 GB. It is supposed to have 3 mic positions (like EW Platinum for example), and there are 4-5 pianos. IF you consider this then each piano must be around... 50-60 GB. If you consider that each piano has 3 mics, each mic must be around 15-20 GB. So the "true" size of the piano is 15-20 GB which is highly respectable for size, huge for RAM and the whole thing will crumble most hard disks. Of course, for such a size I'm ready to bet that the demos will be magnificent, to say the least, but whatever the demos, I'm not sold for 260 GB of hard disk space (although, I assume, or have heard from somewhere that you can actually choose to install 1-2 pianos only, not the whole thing, which does make sense)

Gallaxy II sounds great indeed.

I, personally, have Ivory, which I loved, until I got pianoteq. It takes tweaking but can sound fantastic. Is very light, even for the CPU (size it's around 15 MB, not GB) and it has plenty of variants to tweak and play with. Response to my keyboards is nothing short of brilliant!
    Hi Nikolas,
    are you serious when you speak of the EWQL pianos being 260 GB of hard disk space? i have 2x hard disks totalling 240 GB of space, are you saying this VST plugin would completly wipe out all my hard disk space and more??

Musicmad

Also thanks guys.. for all your replies..

Musicmad

Go Back to forum