• Register
  • Help

Topic: sampling a Sound Module

Share/Bookmark

sampling a Sound Module

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to sample a few of my favorite patches from various sound modules into the box.

What is the easiest/best way to put loops on the individual samples, do sound designers put all sustained loops on maually ?? what alternatives are there

Im ready to get started creating sample library!!

Thanks To all of you !

Re: sampling a Sound Module

What module are you sampling, and what are you using to play these samples back?

I used to do projects that required recreating sounds from modules such as the Roland JV1080 and Korg Wavestation SR on hardware samplers like the Kurzweil K2600s. My approach was to analyze the synth patch I was sampling and try to break it into separate elements that could then be reassembled for playback. The Roland modules often had four separate tones, and tons of chorusing, reverb and delay. I would mute all the effects, create simple 100% on envelopes, open up the filters and sample the raw waveforms one tone at a time. I would then match envelopes, filters and effects on the Kurzweil. It's just about impossible to loop a sample of a complex evolving pad with lots of chorus, but if you break it down and then recreate the envelopes and effects in your sampler you can precisely match your source. Of course when I was doing this sample memory was at a premium. I know there are now automated sampling routines that dispense with looping and require hundreds of MEG for each program.

Check out AutoSampler by Redmatica. It's the BOMB. Works very well

I'm actually looking to start with the JV 1080, Yes i was also wanthing to turn fx off and sample each tone then put the presets together in the Box in kontakt or whatever is flexible enough for this sort of job

Not sure if sampling 30 Megs of Wav's is the best option for this. btw Thanks for Redmatika link, does redmatik find loops automatically ?

I mean if i had OS9 i could use Antares Infinity to find the loop in every sample

Thanks Guys

You don't have to make everything 30 megs. You can set up Redmatica to sample only a certain amount of sound. You also don't have to sample chromatically. I usually go about every 7 1/2 steps on my hardware synths. You can also program LFOs, and a bunch of additional stuff. It's really what you need (unless you like doing a lot of extra work).

As for the loop point - just set the Autosampler to sample "x" amount of time and loop it. Pretty simple

Some time ago I started the same, but then..., oops, for me I found out that it was better to buy new softwaresynth`s like native`s "Massive" .

I have not the time to sample all the old stuff. When I need this sounds, I use the old instruments. Why not?

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

With the JV1080 I think you'll find that once you get rid of the effects and solo the individual tones you aren't dealing with very interesting material. There are some nice waveforms on some of the expansion boards Roland made, and some of the factory spectral and noise waves were interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Some time ago I started the same, but then..., oops, for me I found out that it was better to buy new softwaresynth`s like native`s "Massive" .

I have not the time to sample all the old stuff. When I need this sounds, I use the old instruments. Why not?

Gunther

I've found the same to be true.

I personally sampled a few of the sounds I really used a lot (especially electric keyboards) that I wanted quick access to and if I really need something else I just pull out the old.

J-

Total Recall, gotta love it!!!

Yes ill check the massive demo's but the 1080 is a real classic

Go Back to forum