• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Song in JABB

Share/Bookmark

First Song in JABB

I made this song in JABB as a sample to my friend of what genre I would like to make with him.

So I wanted to create a genre similar to what Radiohead and Lyttleton did for "Life in a Glass House." An abstract, dark, totally conflicting piece of jazz work. I did this quick, and know there are many places for improvment, so help me out with some more ideas for this style.

P.S.- Some of you may not like this style, it IS different than most

http://www.orangewebsolutions.com/songs/JazzTest.mp3

Re: First Song in JABB

I like it Jeremy! I think it would improve it if the Piano stayed where it is (nice piano btw), and Clarinet was brought forward a bit, and everything else moved back some... but i'm no expert on mixing, just trying to learn it, so maybe better to get other opinions on that.

I love the way the Clarinet starts slow and little by little really gets rolling, very nice!

David

Jeremy,

this is cooooooooooooooooooool!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I like it Jeremy! I think it would improve it if the Piano stayed where it is (nice piano btw), and Clarinet was brought forward a bit, and everything else moved back some... but i'm no expert on mixing, just trying to learn it, so maybe better to get other opinions on that.

I love the way the Clarinet starts slow and little by little really gets rolling, very nice!

David

Thanks David, after listening a few times through I was thinking the same exact thing! Another aspect that I have not added is vocals, which will add a lot more color and mixture to the piece. Thanks for listening

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Jeremy,

this is cooooooooooooooooooool!
    cooooooooooooool, I'm glad you like it Gunther
    I think I may stick with this style, I am starting to like it!

Hi, Jeremy

This is off to a good start. Since you said you did it quickly, I think perhaps you got it up to see if you'd get encouragement to continue. If that's the case, I'd say Yes indeed explore this some more - a lot more.

Mixing issues, it's fine for now, leave that for when you've fleshed out the whole piece. Just as long as you have a balance you can live with as you work on it, that's all you need. No need to try and polish something that's just beginning - that can get you sidetracked away from the essential work, which is composing.

The mood is fairly clear, after the halting kind of purposely stumbling opening. You're wanting that late night, smokey urban sound that has its predecessors in some progressive Jazz from the '50's. --You're saying, so I assume you're thinking that this is "abstract" - To me it really isn't. It's mostly improvised lines over just two chords - and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you actually want "abstract" you could reach out with much less tonality, much more chromaticism, and explode the structure way beyond a few familiar chords.

"Totally conflicting" - the opening has that when the effect is something like a band warming up and not trying to play together. But then it soon settles into not very unfamiliar territory.

I think I'm saying that if you really want Out there--you could go Much much farther Out there, and it would be worth the exploration.

One other thought - I think it would help you to be less concerned about consciously trying to do something in "a style." Just let things emerge - it, the music, will be what it will be. Best not to box it in even before it's barely begun!

I enjoyed your start - Dig in!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This is the type of composition that gets my attention. Very richly orchestrated and not afraid to have a lot of movement. The mood is intriguing and I would gladly listen to a continuation of the piece.

Is there anything that I would suggest to change? For what it's worth: Maybe some of the cymbal work. Sometimes, it did not fit the mood for my ears/sensibilities. On a differnt aspect: There are several things that could be done with the mix, but if I understand correctly, at this point, you are focussing on the composition, so it might not be the moment to be diving into the mix and production.

I really hope that you will stretch this out farther. I like what I hear.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Jeremy
    You're wanting that late night, smokey urban sound that has its predecessors in some progressive Jazz from the '50's
    (rbowser)
    I couldn't have said it better Randy, that is exactly what I am going for.
    Thanks for letting me know about this mood, I am still pretty young and not well knowing about Jazz, It is a very interesting study!

Now I am not a much of a pianist, but I will try to study more variation in my chord progressions to make it more dynamic and.... well.... Jazzy.

Thanks for the encouragement Randy, you really cleared things up for me.

Great start on this, Jeremy. Yes, as you say, this could
    use some cleaning up, certainly; but it's got great bones
    and the meat is on it.

The improvisatory feel of this is what makes this hot...
    getting in there and taking some risks.

To me, this isn't that far "out there" (as my good friend
    Randy might say) -- it's fairly tame, compared to the
    more radical elements of the Jazz community. But it's
    got plenty of flavor and spice and edge.

To me, that's a winning combination. Close enough to
    the land of the sane to be comprehensible and enjoyable;
    but pushing the borders enough to make it darned
    interesting.

This is a winning path for you, I think, Jeremy. Keep
    on it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Great start on this, Jeremy. Yes, as you say, this could
    use some cleaning up, certainly; but it's got great bones
    and the meat is on it.

The improvisatory feel of this is what makes this hot...
    getting in there and taking some risks.

To me, this isn't that far "out there" (as my good friend
    Randy might say) -- it's fairly tame, compared to the
    more radical elements of the Jazz community. But it's
    got plenty of flavor and spice and edge.

To me, that's a winning combination. Close enough to
    the land of the sane to be comprehensible and enjoyable;
    but pushing the borders enough to make it darned
    interesting.

This is a winning path for you, I think, Jeremy. Keep
    on it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David, I think I am definitely going this path for my next few peices, thank you for your kind words.

God Bless,
    Jeremy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast