• Register
  • Help

Topic: What soundcard should I buy ?

Share/Bookmark

What soundcard should I buy ?

Hey Everyone :-)

Ok, so I am having to buy a new soundcard. I only do sampling and digital orchestation. I have been using my cheapo SB Audigy 2 NX external with ASio4All. It worked fine with Kontakt2, but now that I bought Kontakt3 it is worthless. I have done numerous testing and it seems that the problem indeed lies with my latency. I can now, in kontak 3, only load 2 instruments and then it pushes my CPU to overload 100%. If I increase the latency it somehow helps but everything becomes unplayable. So its time to just get a good soundcard.

Now here is my budget and options and what I need :

1. I dont have monitors. Instead I use a pear of Audio Technica $270 earphones. So I have to be able to plug my earphones into the soundcard. Or at least be able to by a converter to plug them in.

2. I dont do musical recording. It just do sampling so I only need 2 in/out and no more.

3. I need 24 bit recording and playback at 44,48,96

4. Most important of all I need abslute low latency. ASIO

I have a Intel Pentium Core Duo 2, with 2 Gig ram, 350 Gig Sata HD.
    I work with Sonar 6 as my Host, Kontakt 3 as my VSTI.

Here is the option I am looking at. I would SO appreciate some help and feedback on making the right choice.

1. M-Audiophile 2496 - $99 both 2in 2 out
    2. Emu 0404 -$99

3. Emu 1212M v2 - $150 both 4in 4 ouit
    4. M-audio Delta 44 $150

So again, I just need low latency, 24 bit recording, and to be able to plug my headphones in, or at least be able to get a converter to plug my headphones in.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow."
    "‘The heights by men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight,
    but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night
    .’ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow."

Re: What soundcard should I buy ?

I use an EMU 1616M which is similar to the 1212M you mention below. The 1212M will give you plenty of input possibilities in case you decide to expand the type of work you are doing. The ADAT capability will allow you to add 8 more inputs for a reasonable investment (eg, attach Behringer ADA8000). If your budget allows, it is worth getting the breakout box for the EMU card as it will increase ergonomy, but if you are not plugging a lot of stuff in and out, then this might not matter.

I am working on a quad core Intel machine and the 1616M marries very well with the system. I can almost always work with latencies below 10ms and it is not unusual to work below 5ms. This is with a bunch of romplers and plugins and audio tracks, among which the Kontakt Player 2 (in Cubase SX3).

I can not make a comparision with the other products that you have listed as I have not used them. But I can say that I am satisfied with my 1616M and would buy it again with no hesitation.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

I think that first one you mention by M-audio is the one that David Sosnowski said he uses. Whichever low priced M-audio card he is using, he is getting great results from it.

I know i have seen at least one other person also post that they use the M-audiophile 2496 and recommended it.

I have a question about audio cards...
    I have Asus P5LD2 motherboard that has built-in ALC882 HD audio, and it has 3 PCIE slots and 3 PCI slots.

When they have built-in audio, can you still install an audio card or does it have to be a board that does not have built-in audio?

David

Empneo,

They'll all do what you want. Get an 0404 or 2496 now and put the extra $50 towards your next virtual instrument or sound card upgrade (which might carry a much heftier pricetag).

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    When they have built-in audio, can you still install an audio card or does it have to be a board that does not have built-in audio?
    You can install sound cards on boards that have onboard. Depending on the quality of drivers and all sort of routing on the motherboard, there may be competition between the two, in which case you'll have to disable the onboard in the BIOS. But, then your good sound card will work just fine .

Reegs

Thanks Reegs!

Go Back to forum