• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Stradivari Challenge

Share/Bookmark

Stradivari Challenge

Very out of season but here is my "Spring for Violin and Piano".

http://jun.music.coocan.jp/music/spring.mp3

This is my first try to Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin. Though Strad is similar in handling to Gofriller, I had hard time to realize what I want with the instrument.

Far from fantastic realizations of others (such as LouisD's-what a reality), I upload it and would like to hear what you think.

The music itself was written around year 2000. At that time I used Music Printer Plus for notation. Of course this time it sounds much better than the older implementation with good old Sound Canvas.

I imported the old MIDI file into SONAR 5 and use Strad with KP2 along with GPO Steinway. Timeworks Equalizer and SIR 1011 reverb are applied.

Any input will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Stradivari Challenge

Jun Yamamoto,

This was from an imported MIDI file? Aside from a couple of strange sounding moments (mainly trills), your music flowed around me. The longer I listened, the more alive the violin seemed to become. I think that when you get used to the Stradivari, then you will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

I would like to thank you for your Spring music...it warmed me up when all around me is cold.

Thank you,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

Hello, Jun

You've done us all some favors - One is to have your "Spring" to listen to here in the middle of a difficult Winter. The other favor is simply to have your music here!

What a wonderful project for yourself - Re-working your old file with new tools and of course with the fantastic Garritan Strad in the starring role.

It's a completely captivating piece with such masterful transitions to new moods throughout, done in a way which parallels the way people actually feel--something music doesn't do often enough.

The duet is so richly detailed, the beautifully constructed conversation between Violin and Piano. --And that GPO Steinway is still sounding great to me!

Using The Strad does have its tricky challenges. I have two notes - Quite a few times the velocity value is higher than it could be, making for strong attacks on notes which could be better served with softer attacks. I think this is the most difficult thing about using The Strad. It depends on the pianist and the keyboard's responsiveness, but I find it impossible to play it delicately enough - I have to rely on hand editing velocities in Sonar. That was the criticism offered to me the first time I used The Strad, and it was very helpful, so I pass it on to you.

The other note is regarding trills. There are some important ones starting at around 4:00 in. It sounds like they're being played with the instrument in polyphonic mode so the notes are overlapping slightly, and unrealistically. There's a keyswitch especially for trills - not close to my manual, a low Gb maybe?--which makes trills sound natural.

Thanks for the beautiful music, Jun!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thank you for some spring, my friend; as we have a
    bitter ice storm looming and my bones don't appreciate
    it...

Jun, I listened to this earlier today; and have come
    back now to listen, again, a few more times. As with
    so much you do -- a unique voice, and I found the
    piece deeply moving. The writing and thinking in this
    are gorgeous, thought-provoking... and one leaves the
    piece, but I know it will not leave my memory.

Technically, I cannot comment with knowledge and
    detail, as I am a novice with the Strad, myself. Over-
    all this had a very satisfying sound; though perhaps
    some areas might have been sweeter.

Beautiful work, Jun.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Once you get use to the strad, you will be a force to reckon with.

Well Done

RON

Simply a gorgeous piece of music !! I think you did an outstanding job with the Strad. What a simply magical instrument that is. I can kiss Gary every time I load it into Overture .....

I think what caught my attention a little was that the reverb on the violin sounded a bit "hollow" whereas the piano sounds beautifully clear. As far as the technique on the violin, I think you did a great job. Your composition is superb. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Paul, thank you for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    This was from an imported MIDI file?
    Yes. From a MIDI file, originally generated by a notation software called "Music Printer Plus" on a 8086 machine.

Aside from a couple of strange sounding moments (mainly trills), your music flowed around me.
    I have to admit that the trills sounds very unnatural. Let me try once again with real time input from keyboard.

The longer I listened, the more alive the violin seemed to become. I think that when you get used to the Stradivari, then you will truly be a force to be reckoned with.
    Thank you very much for your kind words.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thank you always for your comment, Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Using The Strad does have its tricky challenges. I have two notes - Quite a few times the velocity value is higher than it could be, making for strong attacks on notes which could be better served with softer attacks. I think this is the most difficult thing about using The Strad. It depends on the pianist and the keyboard's responsiveness, but I find it impossible to play it delicately enough - I have to rely on hand editing velocities in Sonar. That was the criticism offered to me the first time I used The Strad, and it was very helpful, so I pass it on to you.
    This is very helpful, practical advice. I will once again go through the piece to adjust all the velocity value to eliminate too harsh attacks. I use Sonar too so that first hide all the continuous expressions and check all the notes one by one.

The other note is regarding trills. There are some important ones starting at around 4:00 in. It sounds like they're being played with the instrument in polyphonic mode so the notes are overlapping slightly, and unrealistically. There's a keyswitch especially for trills - not close to my manual, a low Gb maybe?--which makes trills sound natural.
    Trill is a low G# and I used it at the very trills. But I have to admit the trills are so strange. Maybe I can fix it by playing real-time on keyboard. Let me try.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Hello, David.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Thank you for some spring, my friend; as we have a
    bitter ice storm looming and my bones don't appreciate
    it...
    Please take care.

Thank you very much for your having listened to the piece many times.

ally, I cannot comment with knowledge and
    detail, as I am a novice with the Strad, myself. Over-
    all this had a very satisfying sound; though perhaps
    some areas might have been sweeter.
    As Paul and Randy suggests, I think the piece has a lot of room to improve. I will be back again with hopefully better implementation.

Thanks again.

#I put your "Quarks" in my iPod....now it's iPod Touch!
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Once you get use to the strad, you will be a force to reckon with.
    Ron, thank you. This is very encouraging. I could compose a piece strictly for Strad for practice purpose
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast