• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Bug?

Share/Bookmark

A Bug?

I just got JBB and CMB a week ago. I have had GPO for a while. Ever since I installed JBB and CMB, I have had a problem with the screen saver function.

More details about this: My screen saver was set to 10 min. (I have adjusted that to 30 min., now). If I have a piece where Kontakt 2 is loaded, and I leave the computer for long enough for the screen saver to come on, then when I come back to the computer and 'activate' it, the normal background screen comes on, but no icons come on. The hard drive is going, but the computer seems to have frozen up. I have waited as long as 5 min. for it to 'clear' or reload whatever it needs to, but nothing happens. I have to 'crash-down' the computer (shut off electricity to it), reboot the computer and any programs that I was using (plus any pieces that I was working on). This is a REAL pain, especially when you have to do it several times in a several hour period. This has never happened with GPO (Kontakt 1). It happens every time when Kontakt 2 is loaded.

Also, when Kontakt 2 is loading (and this happens for each instance of Kontakt 2 that you may have for a piece), A: drive (diskette) is accessed.

Any ideas about this, or is this just a bug with a new program (CMB)?

Frank

Re: A Bug?

Hmm... Haven't heard of this one before. I don't use a screen saver. I just use the monitor power save function.

Jim

I use the screen saver, but I leave the password protection unchecked. Works fine.

Haydn -
    I was given to understand that if the same image is on the screen for a long time, it will 'burn' the screen with that particular pattern. Probably one of those "old wives' tales". That's why I have always used the screen saver function.

Ms. ? -
    (I didn't write your name down, and I can't access your message when writing this Reply)
    I don't use the screen saver password function either.

I'm not sure if the sequencer that is used may have anything to do with this, but I am using Sonar 5 PE, and my OS is Windows XL with Service Pack 1. That is about the only thing that I can think of that may have some sort of interaction to cause the computer to freeze up as it tries to become active, again. Obviously, this is not a prevalent problem because JBB has been out for a while and the Kontakt 2 has been out for a while, and it appears than no one else has mentioned this.

This has never happened before with me with any other program. I have some programs freeze up, but never as the computer re-activates itself. They freeze up while I am working in the program.

Thanx for your input.
    Frank

Hi, Frank - I am surprised that anyone running music apps would still be using a screen saver. But on this thread, the very knowledgeable Nickie said she's using one--with password protection unchecked.

But the standard and oft repeated advice is to never have screen savers running while working on music. I know at the least they can cause hiccups in your recordings. I haven't used one for years now. Just wallpaper.

In your new post, you explain that you thought leaving one image up, like wallpaper, could burn the image into the screen - hence the reason you're using a screen saver.

Google it up - You will find that it's not an old wives tale, but that it's no longer true. It was only true for early monitors, one of which you are likely not using. People who continue using screen savers generally do it because it can look cool--that's all. It's not actually "saving" their screens.

I am positive you can turn that off, get rid of it - and that you won't have these bizarre problems anymore.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by 4209fr
    my OS is Windows XL with Service Pack 1.
    I take it you mean Win XP, yes? Depending on the K2 version you may have to use SP2 - Kontakt 2.2.* requires SP2 to operate hassle free (it doesn't suport SP1 or older). Not sure about K2.1.* and Sonar 5; I would update to SP2, if I was you. It has many improvements.

EDIT: I see now, that you specifically mention JABB and CMB. They both require K2.2.*/KP2.2.*. Time to update, my friend.

Randy -
    Sage advise. I will disable the screen saver (it is not 3rd party, but the resident Microsoft) and report back if I still have further problems.

Nickie -
    Maybe I am having the same problem (concerning the Service Pack) that I had with the concept of screen savers. Several years ago I saw in at least 2 or 3 different locations that some programs had operating difficulties with SP2 where they did not with SP1. If memory serves me correctly, Sonar was one of the programs that should NOT be run with SP2. Since Sonar is my main program, I never bothered to upgrade. And, like I mentioned previously, I never had this type of a freeze up before installing Kontakt 2 a few days ago. I've got KP2.2.3, but I haven't noticed any glitches thus far.

Thanx for the ideas.
    Frank

Go Back to forum