Share/Bookmark

Arrow "Some Love Too Little" from "Dorian Gray"

"Some Love Too Little"
    demo with vocal
    from "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray"
    a new musical by Randy Bowser
    based on the novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde
    (click title for MP3)

Lyrics at the bottom of this first post.

NOTE: The song begins very quietly. Best to leave your speaker knobs at their normal setting and just know the introduction is intended to be extremely gentle.

--the scene in the musical-

At The Black Cat Tavern, Dorian Gray's favorite haunt on the East End, a bearded stranger sits alone singing his melancholy song.

When the song is over, Dorian, intrigued by what he's just heard, engages the man in conversation and offers to buy him a pipe of the establishment's finest Opium.

By chance, the stranger over hears Dorian being mockingly referred to as "Prince Charming," the nickname Sibyl Vane had for Dorian.

In a flash the stranger has Dorian tightly in his grip and holds a viscious looking knife up to his throat. He reveals himself to be James Vane, the brother of the girl who long ago killed herself when she lost Dorian. Now that he's finally back from the sea, he has sworn to never rest until he's avenged his sister's death.

Quick witted as ever, Dorian tells the man to take him into the light. Dragging Dorian roughly to the brightest corner of the tavern, James is shocked to see that Dorian is at least 20 years younger than the man he's looking for. Dorian reprimands him for being a hot headed idiot and storms away.

But once he's gone, women come out of the shadows and tell James that Dorian is indeed the man he wants. James runs out after Dorian.

------------------
    --information about the song and recording

For a long time this song was called "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" (pronounced "jail") because the lyrics are selections from Oscar Wilde's best and most famous poem of that title. It's the only song in the show I didn't write the lyrics for - and the lines I've selected are justifiably famous and often cited.

Wilde started the poem while he was in prison, when a fellow prisoner who murdered his wife was hung. It troubled Wilde deeply to see someone executed, and led him to ponder how people so often kill their love, but in non-lethal ways which don't exact punishment from society.

When I first started posting the music from my stage musical, I knew this was one song I would have to post with vocals. I've had a vocal done with the final backing tracks for some time, since it's one of the more important songs for me to demo from the show.

A year ago I had an early mix of this up at SoundClick where it went instantly to #1 in its genre, musicals, and stayed there as long as I kept at on my list. That was fun!

A response I've gotten several times which is wonderful to hear, though awfully flattering, is that the song can remind people of the insightful Belgian folk/pop songwriter/singer of the '50's and '60's, Jacques Brel.

GPO is the source for most of the instruments, and this track features the Real Guitar VST instrument - arguably the best soft synth guitar.

Some Love Too Little
    (The Ballad of Reading Gaol)

EACH MAN KILLS THE THING HE LOVES
    BY EACH LET THIS BE HEARD
    SOME DO IT WITH A BITTER LOOK
    SOME WITH A FLATTERING WORD
    THE COWARD DOES IT WITH A KISS
    THE BRAVE MAN WITH A SWORD

SOME KILL THEIR LOVE WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG
    AND SOME WHEN THEY ARE OLD
    SOME STRANGLE WITH THE HANDS OF LUST
    SOME WITH THE HANDS OF GOLD
    THE KINDEST USE A KNIFE BECAUSE
    THE DEAD SO SOON GROW COLD

chorus
    SOME LOVE TOO LITTLE
    SOME TOO LONG
    SOME SELL AND OTHERS BUY
    SOME DO THE DEED WITH MANY TEARS
    AND SOME WITHOUT A SIGH
    FOR EACH MAN KILLS THE THING HE LOVES
    YET EACH MAN DOES NOT DIE

HE DOES NOT DIE A DEATH OF SHAME
    ON A DAY OF DARK DISGRACE
    NOR HAVE A NOOSE ABOUT HIS NECK
    NOR A CLOTH UPON HIS FACE
    NOR DROP FEET FOREMOST THROUGH THE FLOOR
    INTO AN EMPTY SPACE

(repeat Chorus and add Coda)

DOES NOT DIE DOES NOT DIE
    EACH MAN KILLS THE THING HE LOVES
    Randy B.(rbowser)

Re: "Some Love Too Little" from "Dorian Gray"

A great song, Randy.

I love the guitar work and as the song segues, the building
    sound lends excitement to the offering.

I couldn't hear the lyrics too distinctly, but that may be
    because of my headset.

Your Dorian is a real winner. I'll bet you can't wait until
    April and, at the same time, want more time for some more
    trials, modifications, etc..........lol

Great, Randy

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Great to have you first off on the thread, Jack.

THANks for the enthusiastic and helpful reply - I instantly went to my original post and added the lyrics.

As usual when I do a vocal demo post from the show, it's me singing all the parts and so there's a definite limitation. Like the backup singers in this song are the prostitutes in the bar who join in singing with James, naturally an octave higher than what I'm doing--I don't stand in well for them.

I hadn't heard before that the lyrics weren't clear, but that can happen so easily, darn it- When I checked the MP3 for this post, I was concerned because the vocals seemed SO dominate over the music. I was worried that nothing but the lyrics would be heard clearly - lol. Hey, Great lyrics, so that's OK, but I'm hoping to give at least some idea of what the song is intended to be like.

Glad you alerted me -the lyric sheet above will do the trick now.

Yes, really looking forward - to January - that's when work with the cast begins. I love rehearsals. April is a whole different story really, when the run begins. There will be trials and tribulations yes of course, --but no modifications at this point. The material has been worked on and modified and tested for over 20 years now - ! - this cast will do what we have, then we'll see what happens!

Thanks again.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

At the risk of repeating myself, very nice indeed!
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Randy

And I and all the souls in pain,
    Who tramped the other ring,
    Forgot if we ourselves had done
    A great or little thing,
    And watched with gaze of dull amaze
    The man who had to sing.

(Oscar Wilde)

Here is the real last line
    The man who had to swing.

You have done a great thing and we are all truly amazed.

Ron

Randy,

Great writing with powerful lyrics and good production of the work. An interesting portrail of the events of the infamous Black Cat Tavern and the Wilde poem. Thanks for posting this for the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Randy,

Great work on this one!
    My 'cup of tea'...

Yudit

Another winner Randy.

It reminds me somehow of Seals and Crofts.

Hi, Gary "Fiziwig" - If you want to repeat yourself with such nice feedback, -I don't mind in the least! Thank you much.

Ron "Rolifer" - I really enjoy the way your mind works. Nice use of another passage of "Reading Gaol" for your reply. Sounds like you enjoy the song, and I'm glad to hear that, thanks.

Gary Bric - Good to see you here once again on a "Dorian" post. Thanks for letting me know this works for you.

Yudit "Sunbird"--!--It's been so long - This really delights me to see you on this thread. I appreciate that you stopped to let me know you've been here, and that at least this segment of the show appeals to you. Thanks!

And Alan - Seals and Croft! I like that reference a lot. This could have fit in their repertoire, I think I know what you mean. Interesting!

Thank you all for listening and posting replies.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,

I just wanted to make a further note to state how much I enjoyed this. My first comment didn't do it justice, and I feel many of the other comments fall short of its due.

In a sense it is inevitable that the praise will lessen somewhat over time as people run out of things to say, but I know that this one means a great deal to you, and for very good reason.

Well done my friend, well done.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast