So, i was doing some brief tests with various modes running k2 outside cubase sx.3.1 on a old p4 machine and windows xp 32 bit.

i tried using both standalone mode, and hosting it inside "Bidule", via rewire into cubase.

Basicly, the need arises when working with large sample libraries, to access more then 2 gb of ram , so the solution , (besides running the oh so mythical 64 bit os ) is offcourse to run k2 outside cubase to access an additional 2 gb of ram.
This would apply if you got more than 2gb of ram , and are still running on a windows xp 32 bit.

So , to start off, running a standard k2 with 2 stereo outputs in cubase consumed aroung 65-70 Mb of ram, with an additional 20-30 MB for each instance of k2 opened up additionaly.
Inside Bidule, wich ran through rewire into cubase, the same k2 took around 60MB, with an additional 20 MB pr. additional instance opened.
And in standalone, k2 ate around 85 MB or ram pr instance.

Bidule itself used around 20 MB of ram, as well did a "empty" project in cubase Sx.3.

Im not sure why the 2nd and 3rd instances of k2 only uses a fraction of the memory of the first instance, but it might have to do with dfd memory voices reserved, meaning that the dfd voices reserved for k2, only applies to the first instance, hence the "cannot lock memery" message recieved in the additional instances of kontakt opened, in both Bidule and standalone.

I have tweaked the dfd setting to use as little as ram possible, and rely on disk streaming, since im working with large sample based libs, that are relativly low in polyphony compared to the number samples of instruments used.

However, when openeing up k2 in Bidule, and then in cubase, my Cubase froze completely, and i had to force shut all running apps, and reopen them.
In reversed order though, it was ok.

So it seems, Running Bidule into cubase via rewire, not only uses less memory pr instance of k2, but also it seems xp is allocating memory seperatly to Cubase and bidule, meaning that you could max out your ram up to around 3.5 - 4 gbs or so using both apps, divided however is practical between the two apps.

BUT Bidule runs the regular VSTI versions of k2, so there is no way of getting the additional 3 midi ports working, and midi setup was awkward, and didnt realy make any sense at first glance.
Im not sure why cubase only gave me 16 channels of midi into bidule over one port, but one would need 16 channels pr,. k2 in bidule for it to make any sense.
Meaning additional ports, not just one. But im sure that can be setup after some trial and error.

The reason offcourse, not just running k2 as standalone alongside cubase, is becouse you will want to route the audio signal back into cubase somehow, and apply the normal effects and etc inside your project with the internal cubase stuff.
Even if you will get 4 times as many midi channels in standalone, you will not get the audio back into cubase, so the need arises for some sort of virtual host, so thats where Bidule, or any other similar virtual host comes into play.

this will allow you to bounce all the tracks togehter offcourse, and apply automation etc, but this could also be handled inside bidule via midi CC`s, or any other modulation source that was included (alot!!!)

It migh be a good solution though, becouse it allows you to set up say, x number of k2s, and even apply effects, eq and any vst plugin or instrument you got inside bidule (my powercore card worked very well inside bidule), then save the entire setup, and have the channels routed back into your sequencer. So you can load up an entire sound setup or premix of vsti`s, independent of your sequencer project, and its ram usage.!
And All with the main output busses from Bidule running inside cubase as any other channels would.

So in my case, it would allow me to setup, mix, add effects to an entire (or parts of it anyway) orchestra, and just keep it loaded while i change projects in cubase and add vst stuff as normal, each with its own ram allocations of 2 GB.( or maybe a little less, it depends on your computer i guess...)

But you will not be able to freeze the tracks, but there wouldnt realy be any reason to either, since the ram usage in cubase does not affect the ram allocation in Bidule.

It seemed though , that it made my computer more unstable, and there were pops and cpu spikes whwn using menus and features in Bidule, and also i seemed to detect an increase in latency, even if i ran cubase at 256 buffers , with an latency of 6-7 ms, it seemed like there was an additional latency from the bidule instruments. But nothing dramatic.

And there is offcourse the question of multicore support, and i have no clue how Bidule handles that, since its all vst instruments, it would be up to the host application how the cpu load is divided.

I was only trying this on my old P4 machine, becouse im looking for a good setup for my new system when it arriwes briefly, so i didnt have the chance to try it out a a new quad core system.

So i think it might be plasueble to use Bidule along cubase to drain all the Ram u got available in xp 32 bit, and maybe even eliminate long project loading times, and have a prefab setup template that you can keep loaded regardless of your sequencer.

I will try it out further when my new machine arriwes back from service. broke down completely after 2 days. How tragic,eh?

So, thats that, if anybody knows any other good solution, let me know will ya?
It seems even basic daw setups are become quite complex these days...
Im already staring to miss my hardware lol.