• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Topic: "Satin Doll"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "Satin Doll"

    Music Folks,

    This is the old jazz tune, "Satin Doll".

    All of the instruments (piano, fretless bass, drums, vibes and tenor sax) are from the Garritan Jazz and Big Band sample library.

    Regards to all,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South of the Ohio River
    Posts
    555

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    All right! My favorite! And so well done!* Thanks.




    *As you always do!
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

  3. #3

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    well done Mr Larry


    Ron

  4. #4

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    Hey Larry, this is GREAT, my friend!!

    I haven't heard anything quite along these same lines from you before, but obviously you've got some major jazz chops! Love the arrangement, the choice of instruments, your improvs... everything! I really liked that breathy tenor sax sound combining so pleasingly with the vibes, but I thought the brightest moment of many was your piano solo. Terrific! In fact, the whole rhythm section -- the most challenging aspect of JABB to pull off convincingly, I think -- was flowing and natural, with some timely kicks from the drums to boot (no pun intended ).

    I'm impressed, as always... but especially so with this! Kudos!!

    Danny

  5. #5

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee
    All right! My favorite! And so well done!* Thanks.

    *As you always do!
    Many thanks. It's one of my favorites too.

    Regards,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  6. #6

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Ha! Larry, you always make me smile! I needed that today! I must've played/sung that song 100 times gigging. Great tune!

    Your rendition is very realistic --- so much so, that I can almost hear the sax player breathing.

    Wait --- I DID hear the sax player breathing! Is there a breath sample I don't know about!?

    I remember playing "Satin Doll" in high school marching band. It was a cool arrangement, and everyone but the drum section sang one verse. What fun!

    Best Regards,

    Ern
    I made a conscious effort to try for realism, Mr. Ern.

    The breath samples are included with the JABB samples. They are located way above the normal range of the instruments.

    I have played "Satin Doll" a jillion times also. I am an old jazz man.

    Thanks,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  7. #7

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    well done Mr Larry


    Ron
    Thanks, Mr. Ron.

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  8. #8

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hey Larry, this is GREAT, my friend!!

    I haven't heard anything quite along these same lines from you before, but obviously you've got some major jazz chops! Love the arrangement, the choice of instruments, your improvs... everything! I really liked that breathy tenor sax sound combining so pleasingly with the vibes, but I thought the brightest moment of many was your piano solo. Terrific! In fact, the whole rhythm section -- the most challenging aspect of JABB to pull off convincingly, I think -- was flowing and natural, with some timely kicks from the drums to boot (no pun intended ).

    I'm impressed, as always... but especially so with this! Kudos!!

    Danny
    I have posted more of my jazz things on the forum through the years. It may have been before you joined the group.

    I have a long jazz history, Mr. Danny. I have worked with jazz groups and big bands since I was teenager, and that's a long time. I have also arranged for jazz groups and bands for many years.

    As you know, the breathy sound is controlled by a CC number.

    Thanks for listening and commenting.

    My best,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    To Dizzy Bird Theolonius Alexander:

    You old sandbagger! You're a closet jazzer. I hope you're happy now as I'll never post a jazz chart again. I can't begin to get these kinds of sounds and results. The drums, bass and piano "comps" are terrific. The whole chart really swings it's a-- and the solo's are great. Are you trying to pull my leg and using live players?
    I bow deeply to your superior skills. You've nailed it.

    sos

  10. #10

    Re: "Satin Doll"

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    To Dizzy Bird Theolonius Alexander:

    You old sandbagger! You're a closet jazzer. I hope you're happy now as I'll never post a jazz chart again. I can't begin to get these kinds of sounds and results. The drums, bass and piano "comps" are terrific. The whole chart really swings it's a-- and the solos are great. Are you trying to pull my leg and using live players?
    I bow deeply to your superior skills. You've nailed it.

    sos
    Thank you, Mr. Steve. Appreciate it.

    You had BETTER post some more jazz charts!

    Go ahead. Take a chorus on 'bone.

    My best,

    Ol' Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •