• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newby needs Help!

Share/Bookmark

Newby needs Help!

Hi, I have been writing some songs with Guitar Pro, and recently i have started trying to record them. I am quite impressed with the sounds from GPO, and I was wondering what program, or how i could use the GPO sounds in my songs. Do i have to buy a new program to them input the notes, or can GPO itself do everything? Please note that i can't play keyboard at all, which is why i compose it on a computer instead of just playing it and recording it that way.

Thanks,

Re: Newby needs Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ganthony85
    Hi, I have been writing some songs with Guitar Pro, and recently i have started trying to record them. I am quite impressed with the sounds from GPO, and I was wondering what program, or how i could use the GPO sounds in my songs. Do i have to buy a new program to them input the notes, or can GPO itself do everything? Please note that i can't play keyboard at all, which is why i compose it on a computer instead of just playing it and recording it that way.
    Hi ganthony85 and welcome to Northernsounds!!

To use GPO you'll need either a sequencer or a notation program. Guitar Pro is a sort-of notation program, though from what I'm reading it does mostly tablature. This is OK. You will be able to use it with Guitar Pro, though other programs such as Cakewalk Home Studio or Finale NotePad will give you more control. But I'll get to that later.

GPO installs itself on your computer to be used by two methods: plugin or standalone. In standalone mode, GPO and whatever program you're writing your music in can communicate through MIDI: your writing program sends MIDI information out, GPO picks it up and interprets it to produce audio. In plugin mode (which comes in several flavors: RTAS, VST, DXi, AU) your writing program is capable of hosting GPO within it. The whole mess is self-contained, though it still functions the same way. Control and audio routing are a little better.

With Guitar Pro, which does not support hosting, you'll need to route whatever you're playing out to the standalone version of GPO. If you are also using the engine in Guitar Pro to playback things you might experience a horrible delay (latency) and desync between the two sources because you're not processing them at the same place. If you're using strictly one or the other, you should be fine. GPO responds strongly to expressive controls (modwheel) and most of its dynamics are affected in this way. I don't see any mention of the ability to enter this in GP, so you're probably going to get very static results.

Guitar Pro supports MIDI export, so if you want to keep using it I think your best bet will be to write your tracks and then export them as midi files. Using a sequencer you can then import the MIDI and tweak it (adding expression information by hand). GPO can live inside the sequencer as a VST. You can then either import whatever audio you rendered from Guitar Pro and combine the two to make a nice sounding mix.

Hope this helps you in your decision, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks for your help Reegs, which program do you suggest would be the easiest to learn and also what would be the cheapest option?

All the learning curves will probably be around equal. Ultimately what sequencer you decide on depends on the application you want to use it for. I recommend you download the trials of a few and see which is the most intuitive to you.

The cheapest option for sequencers is probably Reaper, which is uncrippled shareware (which you should buy if you use for an extended period). It's got some great tutorials available.

These are the flagship products. There are also "light" or "home" versions available for most that cost much less.

Ableton Live
    Apple Logic (mac-only)
    Cakewalk Sonar (PC-only)
    Digidesign ProTools (LE/M-Powered)
    Magix Samplitude
    MOTU Digital Performer (mac-only)
    Reaper
    Steinberg Nuendo
    Steinberg Cubase

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum