• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need pro advice, er...kinda quick

Share/Bookmark

Need pro advice, er...kinda quick

Hi everyone. I am a semi-pro at scoring. I've done a decent amount now for pay but it's still not my day job. I've done a lot of 30 second spots but only for local or state level PSAa. I now have a company wanting me to score a commercial from out of state, actually a series of four commercials, 30 seconds each. They want a total buyout. The commercial is for an auto club that we've all heard of but I think it goes state by state so I dont think it's a national spot, probably just statewide. I dont want to miss an opportunity to make what I should. Heck, I'm just going to lay it out there; I've been charging $250 for a local 30 second spot. Anyone want to tell me that this is way too little for this next project and that I should be charging more? If so, how much? I need/want to get back with them soon to secure the gig. I've worked for this production company before so I know they believe in me. I'm just afraid of leaving money on the table so to speak. Any advice? Thanks.

Re: Need pro advice, er...kinda quick

Erik,

here in Germany, for a local spot I get 450 - 600 Euros. For a Spot who will be send in all Germany I get many much more money, but I do not only compose the music. I write the ideas, the text, cast the speakers and record them and mix it up with sfx and so on.... .

In your position, I would look to other spotproducers websites and look there what they want for same spots/work..... . That I have done when I began to produce Radiospots here.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks Gunther, I'm trying to get a hold of a few people right now to help me figure this whole thing out.

A plus is that you've worked with these guys before, so maybe you can talk openly. You can always just ask "what's your budget for this?".

I did that when starting out-as well as trying to get information from people who know- and was generally really happy with what was offered.

Or, just figure out what you "think" you want to make and give them a professional-looking budget yourself-make it up! If they say it's too much, just cut them a deal to be sure of getting the gig (if that's what you want).

Good luck!

Nigel

Ha,

another german radiospotpruducer here....? Cool!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Eric,

This might not help, probably make you more confused.

I worked in the Chicago jingle industry for many years, I stopped about 8 years ago. Most of the work of the music production companies was not a buy out. Maybe things are different now, I don't know.

But at that time, many music production companies would charge a standard arranging fee of $2,500. If the production company hired a freelance arranger for the session, the arranger would not get that entire fee. Sometimes that fee was per spot, other times per session. The composers/arrangers also got residuals from the musician's contract, if they sang on the session they got residuals from SAG or AFTRA.

Do what Gunther suggested, try to find out what others in your situation are charging. But personally I think you're way low.

Good luck,
    Jeff

He's right, you would be way too low for this gig. And a buyout doesn't sound right either. If this is a pro gig, then there would be a contract with AFM,or AFTRA or SAG. You need to get more info, and if buyout is discussed, they need to give you a reason why. This undermines the situation for all of us composers out here trying to hold on to our copyrights and residuals.

You gotta start somewhere, but be careful what you establish for yourself and others. They always hire you based on your previous fee.

Good Luck
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

Lots of conflicting views on this subject. Basically it depends on how valuable the Production Company thinks you are. Check your PMs.

D

Go Back to forum