• Register
  • Help

Topic: Multiple MIDI Ins/Outs (Need Suggestions)

Share/Bookmark

Multiple MIDI Ins/Outs (Need Suggestions)

Hello Everyone,

I am planning on buying a MOTU MIDI Express 128 (8 ins and 8 outs). My questions are:

- You know if this device compatible with GigaStudio 3?
    - I know I will be able to hook up to 8 keyboards at once. But would I have the capability to use 8 MIDI channels at once? (Each of the 8 keyboards uses channels 1-8 in GigaStudio or Kontakt and each channel is assigned a different instrument)

I am aware that using one MIDI In/Out can have up to 16 channels, but with only one keyboard, I can only assign the keyboard to one channel at a time. I would like to know if I can apply this same theory to eight keyboards and use eight channels at a time.

Please, any suggestions?

Thank you.
    --------------------------------
    Kelly Andrew
    http://www.myspace.com/kellyandrewofficial
    http://www.kellyak.com
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/kakaveny - Kelly's Debut Album, Olympus is AVAILABLE NOW.

Re: Multiple MIDI Ins/Outs (Need Suggestions)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Andrew Kaveny
    Hello Everyone,

I am planning on buying a MOTU MIDI Express 128 (8 ins and 8 outs). My questions are:

- You know if this device compatible with GigaStudio 3?
    - I know I will be able to hook up to 8 keyboards at once. But would I have the capability to use 8 MIDI channels at once? (Each of the 8 keyboards uses channels 1-8 in GigaStudio or Kontakt and each channel is assigned a different instrument)

I am aware that using one MIDI In/Out can have up to 16 channels, but with only one keyboard, I can only assign the keyboard to one channel at a time. I would like to know if I can apply this same theory to eight keyboards and use eight channels at a time.

Please, any suggestions?

Thank you.
    This should work fine. From what I gather, you'll be using one channel each on eight different MIDI ports (which your sequencer and GS3 should be okay with).

You might see if anything here could serve your need as well. I'm not sure how their M8 operates, but it may be possible to merge eight MIDI devices to broadcast on 1 midi port on 8 channels.

Best,
    Reegs

hm,on my interface, the old Emagic (remember that company ?hehe) Unitor 8, i can set up a hardware midi matrix, so that any inputs can be routed to any outputs, and vice versa.So any input keyboard, can be routed to all 16 channels on all 8 ports. ...A decent 8 in 8 out midi interface should have that kind of option i think...or maybe that is too old school these days, i dunno.

But you dont actualy want to use 8 keyboards , do you?

Pzy-Clone and Reegs,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually own 3 keyboards that I would like to hook up and utilize (two of my keyboards are not being used at the moment). However, before I put more money into this, I want to be absolutely sure that this midi stuff will work.

In terms of merging the 8 midi ports, how will Nuendo (which is the sequencer I use) pick up the ins/outs when it is connected to a hub? Will it function as if my laptop had 8 midi ins/outs? (which it is what I want) Or will it pick up only the hub? (which it is what I don't want)

I'm not sure if the M8 products are GigaStudio 3 compatible. I know that GigaStudio will work if you have to have a soundcard that is GSIF2 compatible or an external system (ex. Digi002, FireFace 800, or something) that I can Re-Wire. I suppose I can Re-Wire the M8 products or the MOTU MIDI Express 128, but I searched on the web everywhere and it does not talk about it much. Perhaps I may need another external system that exclusively works with the GigaStudio 3 sounds and outputs them.

I'm not fully convinced that it will absolutely work yet. But I'm working on it. :/

If anyone else has any suggestions on this matter, that would really help me. Thank you.
    Kelly Andrew

The MOTU 128 ought to give you eight ports through the USB connection. It'll show up that way in Nuendo. I'm not sure what will happen in Giga. I thought GSIF was an audio driver (not affecting midi), but the best thing to do is email MOTU and confirm that it'll work.

The Midisolutions box takes up to 8 midi cables and merges their signals onto one. So, if the eight are broadcasting on different channels, they should still be independent and you only need to deal with one cable (which is still midi). The MOTU is probably what you're going to want, but I thought I'd suggest this as an alternative.

Best,
    Reegs

okay, you seem to be mixing up things here a bit...

The midi interface works independantly from any audio card drivers, and should have nothing to do whatsoever with gigastudio audio drivers.

In Cubase (and nuendo i pressume...) you can set the input midi channel of any track , to whatever port on whatever channel, or all channels at once if needed, so you can hook up any, or all keyboards wichever way you need to.

A midi interface with 8 ports, will show up in nuendo as 8 different ins and outs, that you can assign as you see fit.

You can send the midi signal from any of your keyboards to wichever midi channel you want in Gigastudio, this is not an issue, and under no circumstances do you NEED to have a sepereate keyboard for each port.
    By plugging in your 3 keyboards, you can very easely setup Nuendo to have the keyboards control wichever channel you wish on wichever port you wish in gigastudio.

Cubase atleast, has very flexible options in terms of midi routing, and i think nuendo has too?

Dont worry, it will work like you want it to , you can absolutely setup any channel input to any channel output.

Might i ask, that if your "only" hardware are 3 keyboards, why u need a 8 in\out interface?

You could do with just a 4 in\out, or actualy just 1, if you use the midi Through ports on your keyboards.
    thats is under the assumption you will not need more than 16 midi channels divided between the 3 keyboards, and that you only use them as controllers\master keyboards.

rewire is a protocol for transfering a synchronised audio and midi signal between applications, and has nothing to do with your midi interface.
    This will be handled by Nuendo and gigastudio, and only works like a virtual midi and aduio cable between the two programs.

but as the guy above said, if you are unsure, check with the producer of the interface to be sure they will meet your requirements.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take both of your advices into account while I'm shopping around.
    Kelly Andrew

Kelly,

Just bought your CD @ CD Baby.

Just the names mentioned as a comparison were chosen well, and I am a sucker for synths and worldly sounds.

We can chat about it's arrangements later.

You were directed to the midisolutions site for some kit. I agree that they are a good choice for sure. I use their FP8 so I can keep both hands on my keyboards while I play. This allows me a choice of 8 foot controllers for selecting rates, depth, muliple drawbar movements on my B4000, etc. I do live gigs for the bulk of my income, so a good live set up means that studio work is a breeze.

You could get some of the midisolution stuff, but a merger router, filter, patch bay seems like a good choice also.

I still use the ancient but loyal Digital Music Corporation MX8. It is a workhorse, and built far better than current hardware designs. I am old school though. I still use hardware reverbs and DSP cards w/ analog synths. Record w/ 2 " Otari, and 24 track console. Hardware sequencers and HDD multitrackers. I use software samplers, as they have proven superior to my hardware samplers. But everything else,..........the jury is still out IMHO.

If you feel adventurous try ebay for a DMC MX8. It only needs it's battery replaced every 15 years. I have bought M Audio, MOTU, Steinberg, etc. They are all the same crappy design, w/ USB/ MIDI I/O's, and cheap plastic.

I prefer some heavier Meat And Potatoes as my racks are on wheels.

I Look Forward To Hearing Olympus.

I throw those Gods into my prayers as I often pray to Buddha, Allah, Jesus, Zues and many others when I feel I need some extra help. I also use Gigastudio and Kontackt. Why have only one, when there are so many options.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum